Kartboy Short Throw Shifter & Bushings Discussion - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Kartboy Short Throw Shifter & Bushings Discussion within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally posted by PlatinumWRX If you install the shifter backwards, it'll actually hit the console in 1st gear. My shifter ...

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX

If you install the shifter backwards, it'll actually hit the console in 1st gear. My shifter linkage didn't rub the plate either. I bent it up a little just in case.

-Jim
    ok thats what i thoght but wasn't sure. Does anyoen else think that it's odd that some people have problems with it and some don't
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Regarding the shifter hitting the plate:

I remember that the shifter hits the plate very lightly. It's possible that some people may not have even noticed or just a variation on manufacturing (since the contact is so subtle).

That 180 turn thing...we tried that, but it didn't look like the plate would line up correctly. But by that point I was ready to just bang the hell out of it...it's just a piece of metal frame....feels solid, but I was surprised at how easy it was to bend.

BTW, during the bushings install, I was afraid to turn the nut too much (horror stories of breaking the stud), so I turned enough so the nut was completely on and then loctite (green). There's defintely some of the bushing showing...the I-Club directions says that goes away...I looked under my car 2 days after and it's still showing. The shifting feels fine, but I guess I'm worried that the nut may pop off and then all hell will break lose (just being malodramatic).

Thanks for your input.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

I had contact in 1st gear with the Kartboy. I rotated the shifter plate 180 degrees and bent up one of the ears (with the stud on it) and haven't looked back since!

Aloha,
    Richard...

So which is way is forward, and which way is back?
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

I've noticed people are asking whats forward or backwards....You want it to bend towards you, otherwise, just as somebody else said, you'll be smackin the dash as you go into first.
    So, Last night I installed my Kartboy short throw shifter and at first I thought I was going to have to beat the piss out of it in order to get it in....cheeky devil.
    At anyrate, after absolotuley no success at pounding it in there, I hooked it up w/ the linkage (put the bolt through etc), lined it up, and with one whack from my rubber mallet it went in without a problem.
    Hopefully by hooking up the linkage I didnt screw anything up (doesnt feel like I have, it runs soooooo smooth and the throws are drastically reduced from the stock one) and I have no rubbing what so ever, which is another thing some Kartboy owners are saying.
    And hopefully I will be putting in the bushings this weekend or next.

-RR

I did this install a couple of weeks back...so it's fresh in my head:

As for the rub, look closely at the top left corner when it's in 1st...how tight is that? Mine didn't really "rub" when I shifted, but it was so tight, I thought a spirited throw could easily hit that corner.

When installing the bushing:
    Taking the old one out is a pain. I started cutting into it to get a decent grip and then yanked...it slowly gives.

I found C-clamps to be very helpful in keeping the washer inplace while I screwed the nut back on. I don't see how it's even possible without it.

I know you didn't ask, but I thought I offer.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

I've asked this question several times, but never really got a clear cut answer. Are the bushings worth the trouble?
    Fahd

I don't know.

I didn't drive with just the SS. I wanted to, but day-light was short and my friend wanted to get it all done in one swoop.

I can say (like others before me) the bushing I put in was definitely better quality. The material was a firm urethane of some sort (I think), which seems better than the mushy rubber we removed.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

Originally posted by WRXin'
    I've asked this question several times, but never really got a clear cut answer. Are the bushings worth the trouble?
    yes. much crisper exchange, less notchiness, less play while in a gear. do it.

the EASIEST way to fix the rubbing is to just by a rubber washer (1/8" thick or so) and stick it under the top left corner of the metal brace. loosen all the bolts, and remove the top left one. stick it under the corner, then put the top left bolt back trhough the plate AND the washer.

it lifts it up enought to stop any rubbing. (mine did)

piece of cake. no bending, dremmeling, 180ing or anything.

dR

Originally posted by dark_rex

the EASIEST way to fix the rubbing is to just by a rubber washer (1/8" thick or so) and stick it under the top left corner of the metal brace. loosen all the bolts, and remove the top left one. stick it under the corner, then put the top left bolt back trhough the plate AND the washer.

dR
    I was SOOOOO impressed with the difference that the Kartboy SS made, that I haven't bothered to install the bushing yet. Now that I'm used to the shorter throw, the sloppiness is starting to become noticable again. I'll be throwing in the bushing soon.

-Jim

Originally posted by dark_rex

dR
    Thanks dr
    Fahd

Easiest way to get the ball back into the socket? Put your weight on it. It's that simple.

And here's a tip for the bushing. To get it out, take off the nut from the end and the plate behind it. Then, pull it off the post from the linkage. THEN use the post to pop the old bushing out by pressing the side of it against the post. Trust me, it's the easiest way.

what difference will the bushings make? i have the BPM short throw, and stock bushings......is it worth it to buy the kartboy bushings and will they work with the BPM??? thnaks for the info guys....
    DML

The bushings will work with any SS. Well worth it.

Originally posted by MadDog
    Easiest way to get the ball back into the socket? Put your weight on it. It's that simple.

And here's a tip for the bushing. To get it out, take off the nut from the end and the plate behind it. Then, pull it off the post from the linkage. THEN use the post to pop the old bushing out by pressing the side of it against the post. Trust me, it's the easiest way.
    well, putting weight on mine did squat. in fact, mine took a NUMBER of hard slams with the mallet to get it in. it was a total *****ing w.hore to get in. some might be easier than others i guess.

as for the bushings, i agree 100%. use the bolt on there to push the bushing out of the linkage. watch out for the exhaust right there. i let mine sit for over an hour and still burned myself. one tip i might add, when putting them back in, the outside bushing doesn't get back in all the way. just get it on enough to get the washer on there, and one thread of the nut, then tighten the nut on. it will push the bushing in the rest of the way.

dR

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast