What do I trust, dip stick or manual?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on What do I trust, dip stick or manual? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I changed my trany fluid on my 05 WRX 5 speed. I only have 8k on it. Seen a few ...

What do I trust, dip stick or manual?

I changed my trany fluid on my 05 WRX 5 speed. I only have 8k on it. Seen a few pictures of metal flakes and chunks on the oil plug magnet, on this sight. Some people said it was normal. Was from assembly in the factory. Well I wanted to see if mine had any. Did not want any in my trans, even if stuck to magnet. Well happy to say I only had a normal amount of fuzz after a break in. Anyhow, I put in 3.7 quarts of Valvoline 75W90, per manual. Trans seemed to shift smother, thought that was just in my head. But when you down shift, that gear wine you hear was GREATLY reduced! But when I check the fluid the dipstick shows a little over full. Opinions?
    Last edited by bthomas6674; 09-01-2005 at 12:43 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I just changed mine and started by adding 3.5q, then checking the stick before adding more.. It can be tedious but I fell better about not over filling it. Depending on how much it is over filled you may be OK or you may want to loosen some threads on the drain and let a little out. You could always add it back in if you went too far.

I, unfortunately made a freaking mess trying to fill mine up and even managed to spill a little on the intercooler (one reason I am NOT a surgeon) and spent a good hour yesterdya with simple green and the compressor trying to clean the engine bay.

You are right about feeling a notcible difference after changing it. I replaced mine with the 75W90 Valvoline OEM stuff at 30k miles and even though I wasnt getting grinding, I was getting a notchy feeling and a lot of gear whine. The whine is still there, especially in 2nd but it is noticiby more quiet.

I Support ClubWRX
    Heck that's a really easy question - THE STICK!

Make sure the car is on level ground and let it settle for a few minutes to allow all the oil to drain into the bottom of the case. Wipe off the stick, push it all the way back in. Then pull it out and read it. Sometimes you'll get a trail of smeared oil up the stick - never mind that. Look for a clear horizontal mark across the stick to read the level. Clean it and try it again if you aren't confident of your reading.

The issue is the fact that how well the old oil gets drained is variable. I would guess since only one value is given in the SM, the spec'd amount is basically a "rebuild" fill. You won't ever get a 100% drain and how close depends on the angle of the car to the ground and temperature the oil was drained at.

It really doesn't matter - if you're reading the stick right, that's your guide.

C
    Last edited by GV27; 09-03-2005 at 12:59 PM.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.