4th Gear Grind in an 04 w/ amsoil Severe Gear Oil
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 4th Gear Grind in an 04 w/ amsoil Severe Gear Oil within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Looks like i have developed the infamous 4th gear grind. I have been running "Amsoil Severe Gear Oil" for the ...

4th Gear Grind in an 04 w/ amsoil Severe Gear Oil

Looks like i have developed the infamous 4th gear grind. I have been running "Amsoil Severe Gear Oil" for the past 16,000 miles without any problems now that the car has a total of about 30,000 miles.

The gears usually grind when i upshift from 3rd to 4th after 4000 Rpms. It is not a grind that can be heard inside the car...but i can definatley feel it on the shifter. The problem is not there when i double clutch it into 4th or if i wait a tad bit longer in neutral before going into fourth.

My Current plan is to drain out the AMSOIL Severe Gear Oil and switch it back to regular dino Valvoline 75W-90 with a quart of Penzoil Syncromesh....

Another alternative could be to take it to the dealer and get it warrantied....now my search on CLUB WRX has shown mostly positive results from the dealer about the 4th gear grind but my search on NASIOC mostly came up with abuse excuses to deny the warranty claim for the 4th gear grind.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

OK so no responses..i decided to changes lubes b4 taking it in..

i went ahead and purchased 2Qts Penzoil Syncromesh and 2Qts Valvoline 75W-90.

Jacked the Car up only to find the Lucky SOB *****ing ***hole POS TORX T-70 Drain Plug on my 2004...man am i pissed.

Nobody not even sears craftsman manufactures a TORX t-70 bit to open the drain Plug

I had to buy a whole set on E-bay for the TORX T-70 bit.

This better be worth it (i want my grind fixed)

All aside how does the Idea of 1.7Qts Syncromesh mixed with 2Qts Dino Valvoline Sound?

I have the EXACT same problem. All I do is not use 4th gear ...Or wait a bit before engagin it..try reving your engine in neutral too before you shift. I barely have 23k im my 02 and have the same problem . I heard mobil 1 tranny fluid works wonders.
    " I got four doors to fit more wh0res !!!"

SOCAL F4
    MEMBER "00"

(CLUBWRX'S 1ST OFFICIAL "F4" TEAM) est. May 2, 2005

Maybe I am misinformed or missing something here but I thought the drain plug on the transmission pan was a 21mm?

I am curious b/c I was about to cheange mine out in the next week (As soon as I can find that damn Valvoline 75W90...that stuff is nearly impossible to locate!)

Under any circumstances do not use MOBIL 1 75W90. It is too slippery for the syncros to engage properly...youll become a permanent resident of grind city.

as for the Bolt 02,03 and early 04's have the old 21mm drain plug only the later 04's and 05's got the lucky torx t-70 drain plug.

As far as Valvoline 75W-90 i picked it up at autozone and they only had 2 Qts so i decided to run the rest Syncromesh.

I will report back once i get my Torx T-70 and swap the AMSOIL out

Oh, good. I bought my '04 in August of '03 so I think I will be OK on the bolt. I havent looked yet, b/c all I have changed is the oil to this point.

Thanks for the info though!

I also heard that the Mobil 1 pretty much stinks for the same reasons. There are poeple who liked it but if you realy, really do a thread search there seems to be more people complaining about it then liked it. Many people said it was good at first but after a few thousand miles it grinded worse than ever. Now, I have heard that it is good for the rear differential. Nevertheless, I am sticking with Valvoline OEM stuff just to be safe, since I havent had any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Z3RO
    I heard mobil 1 tranny fluid works wonders.
    ^ on other cars maybe, but on the WRX you are sadly misinformed....all other Mobil1 products I give a thumbs up...

Redline Shockproof...or Penzoil Syncromesh are the only ones that I would recommend....I am, btw, completely satisfied w/ the Redline Shockproof....
    1988 Celica Alltrac
    Hallman Pro, 15x7.5 +20mm Rota Slipstreams
    2005 LGT 315whp/340wtq@21psi - Sold
    VF52, Crucial P&P&C Manifolds, UP, DP, RP, Magnaflow CBE, Hallman PRO, ROMRaider
    2003 WRX 371whp/355wtq@24psi - Sold
    TD05H-20G-38mm Tial, Meth Injection, Hyperflow TMIC, ROMRaider
    Dyno Chart METH vs 93 oct

Banned
    I HAD the same problem on my 04.Every time I would get on it above 4000rpm it would scartch 4th. I got some pennzoil synchromesh from autozone and mixed it with some regular gear oil.The problem totally went away......t.I mean totally went away.

Quote Originally Posted by xdriven2004
    I HAD the same problem on my 04.Every time I would get on it above 4000rpm it would scartch 4th. I got some pennzoil synchromesh from autozone and mixed it with some regular gear oil.The problem totally went away......t.I mean totally went away.
    What gear oil did you use???

I Support ClubWRX
    I tried multiple different synthetic gear oils on my rex. So far, the good ol dino has been best

ive having this problem, i thought it was my syncro were bad? so maybe i will try this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    Nah, it was Colonel Mustard, using teh shockAr in teh bedroom.

Pesonally I use the Motul 75/90 synthetic. I have an 02 with the STi RA gear set and this oil has been the best I've ever felt! I have heard that Solberg uses it too in the WRC tranny. My friends 05 WRX was having similar problems as your facing... we swaped his oil with the Motul... so far, flawless shifts!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by CCFabrications
    Pesonally I use the Motul 75/90 synthetic. I have an 02 with the STi RA gear set and this oil has been the best I've ever felt! I have heard that Solberg uses it too in the WRC tranny. My friends 05 WRX was having similar problems as your facing... we swaped his oil with the Motul... so far, flawless shifts!
    Isn't the WRC tranny a dogbox?

Yes, in truth the WRC transmission is the "dogbox" or "crashbox" as some would say. That style of tranny does with out the synchros as gear matching and rev matching are done through driver without aid. And although it is a cheep comparison from a factory trans to a full blown WRC "dogbox", I was just merely using it as reference that the company Motul that is made in France is well respected and has a great reputation for its oils. Top choice in my book!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by CCFabrications
    Yes, in truth the WRC transmission is the "dogbox" or "crashbox" as some would say. That style of tranny does with out the synchros as gear matching and rev matching are done through driver without aid. And although it is a cheep comparison from a factory trans to a full blown WRC "dogbox", I was just merely using it as reference that the company Motul that is made in France is well respected and has a great reputation for its oils. Top choice in my book!
    I'm definately not downing Motul fluids, but so far I've had better experience with dino oil in the rex. We do run synthetic in our racecars, but they have dogboxes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.