4th Gear Grind in an 04 w/ amsoil Severe Gear Oil - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 4th Gear Grind in an 04 w/ amsoil Severe Gear Oil within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am actually yet to try this DINO oil, I am alway open to new products (at least new to ...

I am actually yet to try this DINO oil, I am alway open to new products (at least new to me). I havn't really had any problems with the fully synthetic Motul in my rex, but I do have a few friends still running stock fluids... I shall use them as test subjects! So how offen are you changing your fluids in your cars?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by CCFabrications
    I am actually yet to try this DINO oil, I am alway open to new products (at least new to me). I havn't really had any problems with the fully synthetic Motul in my rex, but I do have a few friends still running stock fluids... I shall use them as test subjects! So how offen are you changing your fluids in your cars?
    Dino - Dinosaur

My rex has almost no miles on it, so I just kept changing the trans fluid until I got the best feel. The best feel was plain old dino oil. My truck I normally change every 30-40k.
    Last edited by Trainrex; 08-16-2005 at 09:16 AM.

After installing the STi RA gear set, I have been trying different oils, changing fluids every normal oilchange I do on the motor untill I find the one that best fits my needs! I am yet to go back to the old stock "dino" oil, as I have heard rumors that once you use a synthetic oil, you shouldn't ever switch back... I'm not sure why exactly, as I have yet to research it, so for now, Motul works!

Finally after a week ...i got my TORX T70 socket from ebay....

I had to buy the whole set for like $20 shipped.

Well the cocktail is in

2 Qts Valvoline Dino Oil
    1.7 Qts Penzoil Syncromesh

Inital driving impressions....no real significant diffrence from the AMSOIL SEVERE gear oil i was running.....

Havent really redlined Third Gear to see if it will Grind on the Upshift to 4th...

however a 5400 RPM upshift didnt cause a single sign of any resistance when going into 4th from 3rd.

However the Penzoil Syncromesh was quite thin compared to the Valvoline 75W-90 and also its GL-4.

i had the 4th gear grind BAD before. I put in just 1 quart of synchromesh(GM) and 2.7 quarts of valvoline 75w90 dino s hit and i have NEVER had a grind ever since. Give it some time to work it's way through teh tranny/syncrhos. It did wonders for my car
    07 Mercedes-Benz E350
    Saks Fifth Ave Edition

04 WRX VF34+TMIC SOLD
    12.62@108 1.7 60'
    295whp & 302tq on Mustang Dyno
    MODS

I feel that just changing the oil more often works wonders for our transmission. The weight of the oil seems to have a large impact on the feel, as does the temperature. I find 75w90 works nicely for most situations, but in the middle of summer it begins to feel a little too easy and eventually I feel what I call gear taps while shifting. I use 80w90 dino when hot and then drop back down to 75w90 when it's not so stifling. This of course could be a peculiarity with the oil I'm using so I'll change brands next time I go to change it.
    clutch, shift, gas, clutch, shift, gas, shift, clutch, gas, clutch gas, shift... oops!

I Support ClubWRX
    I've been using Royal Purple in my trans for pretty much the entire life of my car without so much as a hint of a grind going into any gear.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by MidKnight
    I've been using Royal Purple in my trans for pretty much the entire life of my car without so much as a hint of a grind going into any gear.
    Don't you also have an RA gearset? I have an '02 and at first if felt great, but then it all went down hill very quickly and felt like I might as well had water in there.
    clutch, shift, gas, clutch, shift, gas, shift, clutch, gas, clutch gas, shift... oops!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro
    Don't you also have an RA gearset? I have an '02 and at first if felt great, but then it all went down hill very quickly and felt like I might as well had water in there.
    Yes I do. I've run the royal purple with the RA gears and the stock gears with great success.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by MidKnight
    Yes I do. I've run the royal purple with the RA gears and the stock gears with great success.
    The question is, for how long did you run the stock gears with Royal Purple? It seems odd that you would have had a drastically different experience unless the synchros are different on the 02-03, or you did not have the stockers for a very long time.

UPDATE::::::>>>>

I took the car on a 400 mile road trip and since then there have been no grinds...and the transmission doesnt have a hard time going into 4th from 3rd like it used to.

Also on a side note 1st to 2nd shift has improved quite significantly and over all the syncros has smothed out a lot more.

Again for those of you who read this ....

I used 1.7 Qts Penzoil Syncromesh and 2 Qts Valvoline Dino 75W90....
    I only did this cause i had some upshift grinding from 3rd to 4th
    The fluid i was using before ...i.e AMSOIL SEVERE GEAR OIL lasted great for the 15,000 miles then it was grind city.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro
    The question is, for how long did you run the stock gears with Royal Purple? It seems odd that you would have had a drastically different experience unless the synchros are different on the 02-03, or you did not have the stockers for a very long time.
    How does 50k miles with the stock gears sound? And 35k of those miles was at 300+whp being driven hard. Trust me, I wouldn't be chiming in if I only ran it for 5k miles or something silly like that.

The RA gears use the same synchros so that's really irrelevant as to what gear set I have.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12