Switch to GM Synchromesh!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Switch to GM Synchromesh! within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Looking for a better fluid for my transmission, I didn't want to pay /quart for Motul, nor did I want ...

Thumbs up Switch to GM Synchromesh!

Looking for a better fluid for my transmission, I didn't want to pay $14/quart for Motul, nor did I want to pay more than that for Neo Synthetic. I had tried Valvoline 75w90 and did not like it at all. I decided to try GM Synchromesh, which is not cheap ($10/quart) and it was available to me the same day. The car shifts soooo much smoother and is much quieter. I highly recommend trying this stuff.

Oh and if you have not bled your clutch, I did that at the same time and it feels ten times better. This is all at 28k miles.
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Are you running straight synchomesh?

Yep.

I use it in my Integra. Honda guys swear by it. The stuff truely does work wonders. There is 233 pages of discussion on it at honda-tech http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=549469

um I thought it wasn't reccomended to run str8 syncromesh. I ran 1 qt and the rest 75w90...

I don't know the long term affects of it, but I do know the improvement in my trans operation was well worth it.

If it's GL-5 tranny fluid it should not cause any prob's, I think I will bite the bullet and give it a shot!

I already have 4quarts of the Valvosludge to go in, But I keep hearing how nice the Synchromesh is.

So how is reverse?, It still take some "talking too" to get it in?

Thanks for the tip

Shotgun
    "Speed Kills......But so do Strokes,...Sign your donar card"

Every gear seems much smoother. I was mostly concerned of the dreaded first gear grind that had come up, and that is completely gone.

i think this is just what my RA gears have been asking for. as soon as the trans comes back from precision im going to give this a try. I'll post on it after i drive it for a lil

I have some Redline 75-90 going in later today. I have only 3 quarts of Redline and was thinking about throwing in 3 qts of Redline and then the rest Synchromesh. How does that sound?
    vf22 Wagon whp305/310wtq

Evo IX: 475whp

Both DYNOFLASH

Quote Originally Posted by bernardo
    I have some Redline 75-90 going in later today. I have only 3 quarts of Redline and was thinking about throwing in 3 qts of Redline and then the rest Synchromesh. How does that sound?
    i think that would be fine, just read the label before you do it will say if thats a bad idea

I have an 02 WRX with the STi RA gearset. I am running the Motul synthetic and have yet to find a better oil. The list price like you said is up in the $15 range, but I kid you not, over at the Thousand Oaks Auto Mall at the Subaru dealer, they just became an authorized dealer for Motul, and they're selling the 75/90 synthetic for like $6.35qt.! I've loaded up! The oil is great, and I don't think they realized their prices compaired to other suppliers. So if anyone is in the area in Southern California, I would highly recommend spending the money... it's a great deal! And to anyone else trying new products in their transmissions... don't use Mobil gear oil. Mobil 1 is GREAT for you motor, but their gear oil is junk! As far as the GM stuff, keep posting, I'm interested to hear how the longevity of that product is!

-If anyone is really conserned about there choice of oils... visit a thread of mine in maintenance, it is labeled "Factory vs. Synthetic OIL!" there is a bunch of useful information on there!

I work near TO subaru and they said it was alot more than that. Did you buy in bulk?

uh... no, I just bought four quarts at the time. I was just replacing my front axel seals in the transmission, and just happened to ask if they had the 75/90 Motul synthetic as I saw the sign on the wall, the man there said they did... but they didn't have it in a gallon, so I said thats fine, four quarts would do the same... after that, before he ran to get them, I asked how much it was per quart, and he said like $6.35 or $6.55 or something in the mid $6 range... I have the reciept at home, I will check and repost... but it was cheep, and that was just this past Saturday! Maybe the guy didn't know what he was talking about and entered the price wrong, but I know that they can't manually enter prices in there computer system... what ever it says, thats the price. So maybe he rang me up to the wrong oil, or he gave me some discount like I was there from a sister shop... but as of Saturday, the price was just over $6 a qt. Check it out, repost!

Alright, I just got off the phone with ROD over in parts at the T.O. Subaru... He just said that they were out of quarts but they have the gallons. He just quoted me the price of $29 per gallon, which comes out to $7.25 per quart. Maybe it is cheeper by the quart like how I originally got it, and not the full gallon jug... but still with it under $30 for a whole gallon, I am yet to find any place selling Motul that cheep! Thats half the price of what it is suppose to be! Tell me what you think, and keep posting!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast