Switch to GM Synchromesh! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Switch to GM Synchromesh! within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i used to run amsoil in my 240sx, anyone have any expierance with amsoil in the WRX?...

i used to run amsoil in my 240sx, anyone have any expierance with amsoil in the WRX?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have four quarts of the syncromesh sitting in my garage ... I cant find a T70 torx anywhere... I also think that I want to mix it in with something else just dont know what yet... anyone have any suggestions?
    dude one time i tried to put the trailer bully into the coiler, and I got all messed up

So it sounds like 3qts of the old 75W90 Valvoline Dino and 1 Qt of Syncromesh will work fine otgether? Is there a specific name for it or is it just staright up 75W90 Syncromesh when I go the GM dealer?

IMHO, I personally don't like mixing fluids, but that's just me. They are all designed by different companies and in different ways. I prefer to go with just one individual fluid and if I don't like it, then I will drain it out and try another one.

And yes, just ask for GM Synchromesh transmission fluid - 4 quarts.
    Last edited by AjIsDope; 08-18-2005 at 11:59 AM.

I just put the GM suff in my car, and all the hype it true. I can now find 1st gear at 20 mph with no grinding. I had Moble 1 synth in and it was no better, possibly worse than the stock stuff, so I put the car on ramps and drained 2.5 liters and replaced that with 2.5 liters of the GM suff, leaving about 1 liter of the Moble 1.

well i just changed my tranny oil today. I put 1quart of Penzoil Synchromesh and 2.7quarts of Redline MT-90 and...
    ...it's sweet, the 1st gear grind is gone and i have no problems downshifting to 1st when rolling like 10mph
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

That synchromesh is not GL4 or GL5 rated. Neither does it have a weight specified on the bottle.

It's thin stuff.

Yes it helps with shifting, but the protection level is lower then what is recomended.

If you use all synhromesh, and are not mixing it with something thivker, I would change it much more often.

I used it in my DSM and it shifted smoother, but my tranny went bad that. It already had some issues before I switched to sychromesh, but I think this stuff is a little too thin/lower viscosity then what you should have in an AWD tranny.

I'm running Redline MT90 (75W90) in my 91 AWD DSM.

This is the 2nd tranny, like I said I was running straight sychromesh (actually BG Synchroshift, but they are all alike) in the tranny that went out on me.

I had about 25K miles on that gear oil. Maybe if I would have changed it every other oil change or something it woulda lasted longer. But that's a PITA, so I'm gonna stick with the thicker stuff.

Or mix it with something thicker, so you get the best of both worlds.

not to say you're not telling the truth but how Shynchromesh can be thinner than regular oil and at the same time help shynchros??? Synchros need friction, so logically if something increases their performance it has to be thicker to create more friction than regular oil. I put MT-90 which is already thick enough and added a quart of shynchromesh because i had this horrible grind in 1st every time i wanted to put it in with anything but slow push. Now the grind is gone and i can downshift when i'm rolling to a stop sign.
    MT-90 is thicker than 75W90NS and it works better for synchros but is not optimal for tranny seals that need more viscosity.
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

Sounds as if you agree with me, as you mixed it with the MT 90, didn't go stright synchromesh.

From Redline's page on MT90 "MT-90 is a thicker 75W90 version of MTL.". So yes it is 75W90.
    http://www.redlineoil.com/products_g...57&subcatID=18

Better shifting and better protection are 2 diffferent things. Thinner makes for better shifting, thicker is more protection. Life's full of trade offs.

I said that Snchromesh does not even have a weight on it, and does not provide adequate protection all by itself for an AWD transmission. Apparently you are in agreement, as you mixed it with MT 90.

If the Synchromesh is thick enough, why did you mix it with MT90? Cause it's not, it is thinner. It's the equivalant of 5W30 thickness wise. I'm trying to keep people from dumping in straight Synchromesh, unless they are willing to change the gear oil evert 10K miles.

It's not a post telling people it doesn't help synchros shift better. It has a special friction modifier in it that helpse synchros work better. But it is not GL4 or Gl5 rated, nor does it have a weight listed on it.

It's not a post aimed at you, I never said not to put a quart in with the MT90.

Would you put motor oil in your car that has no weight listed on it? NO! Then why put gear oil in that doesn't.

If you mix 1 quart in with some 75W90 gear oil, I think that's ok. I know the 75W90 does not shift as smoothly, but it protects the tranny better.

I'm on my second tranny, and like I said I used straight sychromesh in the first tranny, based on the advice from people on the DSM boards, etc.. I wish I never would have.

I'm trying to save people from having to replace a tranny prematurely. I don't know why you want to argue with me.

And frankly, doesn't look like you have done the reasearch I have either, I've done plenty.

Does Synchromesh meet the manufactures specs? NO

People considering using it: Mix one quart of Synchromesh with the rest 75W90.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmevo316g
    Sounds as if you agree with me, as you mixed it with the MT 90, didn't go stright synchromesh.

From Redline's page on MT90 "MT-90 is a thicker 75W90 version of MTL.". So yes it is 75W90.
    http://www.redlineoil.com/products_g...57&subcatID=18

Better shifting and better protection are 2 diffferent things. Thinner makes for better shifting, thicker is more protection. Life's full of trade offs.

I said that Snchromesh does not even have a weight on it, and does not provide adequate protection all by itself for an AWD transmission. Apparently you are in agreement, as you mixed it with MT 90.

If the Synchromesh is thick enough, why did you mix it with MT90? Cause it's not, it is thinner. It's the equivalant of 5W30 thickness wise. I'm trying to keep people from dumping in straight Synchromesh, unless they are willing to change the gear oil evert 10K miles.

It's not a post telling people it doesn't help synchros shift better. It has a special friction modifier in it that helpse synchros work better. But it is not GL4 or Gl5 rated, nor does it have a weight listed on it.

It's not a post aimed at you, I never said not to put a quart in with the MT90.

Would you put motor oil in your car that has no weight listed on it? NO! Then why put gear oil in that doesn't.

If you mix 1 quart in with some 75W90 gear oil, I think that's ok. I know the 75W90 does not shift as smoothly, but it protects the tranny better.

I'm on my second tranny, and like I said I used straight sychromesh in the first tranny, based on the advice from people on the DSM boards, etc.. I wish I never would have.

I'm trying to save people from having to replace a tranny prematurely. I don't know why you want to argue with me.

And frankly, doesn't look like you have done the reasearch I have either, I've done plenty.

Does Synchromesh meet the manufactures specs? NO, do you see them listed on the bottle? NO

"A post on the message board at www.oilanalysis.com found Synchromesh to consist of a 5W30 non-detergent oil with a friction modifer and an EP (extreme pressure) additive."
    http://www.stealth316.com/2-pennzoil-synchromesh.htm

People considering using it: Mix one quart of Synchromesh with the rest 75W90.

A post on the message board at www.oilanalysis.com found Synchromesh to consist of a 5W30 non-detergent oil with a friction modifer and an EP (extreme pressure) additive."

http://www.stealth316.com/2-pennzoil-synchromesh.htm

Sorry for the duplicate post, I just wanted to make this info available.

dude i'm not arguing, i'm just saying that i did a research before i changed my oil and reffered to like 10 threads in which users stated what difference they experienced with Redline and/or Synchromesh, but most importantly i based my oil change on what Cobb has posted on their website about these oils. So if you read it and think logically about it, it's better for synchros to have thicker oil (and this is what i was most concerned about since my synchors didn't want to work properly with thinner Mobil1) and if synchromesh helps to fix synchros problem, than logically it has to be thicker than 75W90 Mobil1, or provide more friction some other way. I wouldn't put straight synchromesh for sure, but there are people running it and have no problems. Didn't you also think that DSM tranny may be totally different than Subaru, and synchromesh meets manufacturer's specs, it's just GM and Chrysler instead of Subaru, but SOA is so messed up when it comes to aftermarket parts that they will even viod your warranty when you have different than OM tires, those bastards

Oh, BTW, what happend to your first tranny and why do you think it was Synchromesh related?
    Last edited by rallymaniac; 09-03-2005 at 10:24 PM.
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.