Has anyone bought the "genuine" oe tranny fluid? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on Has anyone bought the "genuine" oe tranny fluid? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; There is no real way to tell by just looking- check w/ the dealership and see if they have the ...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    There is no real way to tell by just looking- check w/ the dealership and see if they have the records- if they even did it. If you can't find the records assume they didn't do it and do it yourself.
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    they are fixing a scratch on my bumper this week so I will check it out then but I am changing my oil at 2000 miles in from when I started driving just to be safe and got oem oil filters. I want to get some redline gear oil or royal purple gear oil. Same with the tranny/front diff. In the mean time I am putting on some rally armor mudflaps and new brake pads and maintainence gonna do the plugs(i know they are good to 60,000 but why not), and change the coolant looks kinda dirty in the reservoir. Winter tires are next.

06 rear diff??lsd??

Hey sky,
    Will Subaru Extra S- part # K0323AA093 work in the rear diff's on the 06's. The 06's have lsd's and I'm not sure if they run a different weight then the previous years Wrx's. All this talk of 3rd gear going bye bye on the 06's kinda makes me worry as well for the gear box. At 25,000 miles on the original gear oil I think its time to change it out. I change my oil every 2,500 miles with Motul 8100 SAE 5W30 100% synthetic Eco-nergy motor oil. Have you heard anything good or bad about this particular oil. Would you recomend anything better? You seem to know your fluids and have the ability to pull part #'s up for just about anything,so I look to you for insight. How often would you recomend doing a tranny/diff fluid change?
    Thanks

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes it will work in the rear diff- the 06 has the same lsd as the earlier models (it does have revised final drive, but that doesn't change anything as far as fluids).

Not familiar w/ the 8100, I do run their 5w40 300V in the "summer" it's a very good oil (proven out by testing I've done w/ Blackstone Labs). My guess is the 8100 is probably more on par w/ M1 or the like- which I run in the "winter". Motul makes pretty good fluids- so I think your pretty safe there- you can always send a sample into Blackstone and see how good it's doing. I'd only recommend the 300V if your doing a fair amount of track days- it's pretty pricey and M1 has shown to be pretty good under adverse situations.

The FSM says to "inspect" the tranny oil every 30,000 miles- find that kind of odd I replace mine every 20,000 mile- may be overkill, but so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by Maccgyver View Post
    Royal Purple

Dont do it.

Theres some type of syncros problem with RP and our trannys do a search on nasioc i did and it scared me.

What ever they used tp cap my tranny off with when it leaked some at mr transmission i think it mixed with oem dyno junk is making me work harder to shift for some reasons.

Now if i could just figure out if MT-90 is for the front or not ill be ready to fill my tranny with redline, maybe scottys cocktail instead.
    Built 2.0l, DB super16g, Espilir JGT500exhuast And More.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dingobite View Post
    Dont do it.

Theres some type of syncros problem with RP and our trannys do a search on nasioc i did and it scared me.

What ever they used tp cap my tranny off with when it leaked some at mr transmission i think it mixed with oem dyno junk is making me work harder to shift for some reasons.

Now if i could just figure out if MT-90 is for the front or not ill be ready to fill my tranny with redline, maybe scottys cocktail instead.
    for sure I plan to do redline shockproof or just regular redline. But yeah I read about the RP a little while after I made that post.

The Extra S is available from SubaruGenuineParts.com now for $135.25.

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/p...oducts_id=1073
    Blobeye Syndicate #035
    Cobb Stage 2

I Support ClubWRX
    Jamie should rebottle it in smaller containers and more guys would buy it

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    Jamie should rebottle it in smaller containers and more guys would buy it
    My dad works in the parts dept of a subaru dealership. I called him with the part number and he looked it up to see if they could get it. He said they could get the big cans of it, but he said he would call Subaru tomorrow and find out if he can get smaller containers of it.
    Blobeye Syndicate #035
    Cobb Stage 2

Just got my 02 with 73k miles on it and would like to flush everything, fluids, rotate tires, plugs, filters, the works. What's the best for the car to use for just daily driving? Also, what is the correct technique for double clutching on a Subaru? I'll save the tranny mount question for another thread..

I Support ClubWRX
    opinions vary greatly on the tranny fluid (unfortunately)- I think the oe fluid discussed here is very, very good- I have no plans to change using it.

double clutch- clutch in, shifter to neutral, blip throttle, clutch in, down shift

you can do it w/ braking as well w/ "heel/toe"- takes some practice but well worth the practice IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    opinions vary greatly on the tranny fluid (unfortunately)- I think the oe fluid discussed here is very, very good- I have no plans to change using it.

double clutch- clutch in, shifter to neutral, blip throttle, clutch in, down shift

you can do it w/ braking as well w/ "heel/toe"- takes some practice but well worth the practice IMO
    Anywhere I can get that oil you're talking about in smaller quantities? I want to flush the tranny and rear diff.

Oh. I'll have to try that. I used to heel/toe in the Honda a lot but the pedal spacing is different on the WRX and I have a crooked leg. My right foot is pointed to the right more and I have size 12 shoes so I'm all bent up down there. I have to drive with my shoe off b/c with it on it hits the plastic to the right of the pedal and hits my left foot clutching. It sucks Between that and being color blind I'm a wreck. It sure is a pain removing my shoe and putting it back on to get out of the car. It's either that or I drive an automatic, and I'll never drive another auto.

Ok, this correct?
    1) Clutch in, shift to neutral, clutch out.
    2) Clutch in, blip throttle, downshift, clutch out

I Support ClubWRX
    blip the throttle in neutral- other than that you got it

I'll give it a shot tonight.

Since I can't get the huge drum, is there any other substitute oil I could use in the tranny or rear diff? Also, where can I find a writeup on flushing the tranny or rear diff fluid?
    Last edited by Superorb; 12-15-2006 at 05:28 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234