Should i install my springs myself?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Should i install my springs myself? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I will get getting new wheels soon, and also an eibach prokit springs, and camber bolts. Do i need a ...

Should i install my springs myself?

I will get getting new wheels soon, and also an eibach prokit springs, and camber bolts.

Do i need a spring compressor for the install? how long would it take? I have gotten a quote for $150 at a trustworthy shop (PT), but if i could handle the job myself, would love to save some cash....unless i need a spring compressor, than i cant do it

is install straight forward?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have heard that it is very dangerous to do it w/o the spring compressors. Also I didnt know you had to get new camber bolts what is that all about?

if you can live with -1.5 camber in the rear, you dont need them...

i plan to get it realigned to
    -1.3 front
    -1.0 rear

does that sound like good settings to you guys?

(17" subzeros)

The install doesn't look like anything extraordinary. You can rent a spring compressor cheap from most auto parts stores, or Harbor Freight sells one for about $10.
    ribonucleic acid freakout

Its not difficult. Its easiest with spring compressors and an impact wrench.

Is there anybody in your area that may be able to help you out?

Ian
    Very easy to do but you do need a spring compresser and a impact gun does help if you have one. I just ordered my alignment kit for the rear, I noticed ofter lowering my car that the inside rear tires wear away alot faster, so I would say it doesn't hurt to do it

Registered User silver_rex_4eat's Avatar

Me and a friend just installed eibach pro kit along with other mods..

I would say get a spring compressor. The fronts are easy. The rear requires removing of rear seat to get at top of the strut. The seat is easy enought to remove. Two bolts for the cushion adn 4 bolts hold seat back in place. Make sure you torque everything to spec if you dont you may end up getting a rattling noise like i did. I went back and checked the fronts first. The middle nut that holds the top hat in place wasnt fully torqued and caused the noise. Luckily it was the fronts so all i had to do was pullt he little cap off and put a torque wrench on it.

The install took us a few hours on springs. We also did steering rack bushing and rear sway bar and endlinks so it took most of the day with breaks and a moderate pace.

If you have any questions feel free to pm me since its fresh in my head. I got pics of my car lowered with the eibachs if your interested.

I'll try to post a pic of torque spec of the spring and strut.

chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rear suspension.gif   frontstrut.jpg  
    Eibach pro kit, Progress adjustable rear sway bar, helix spherical endlinks, noltec steering rack bushing, 17x7.5 bronze rota tarmac 2 wrapped 225/45/17 yokohama avs es 100, racing brake front rotors, carbotech bobcats front pads, goodrigde ss brake lines, turbo xs axle back, turbo xs type h bov, silencer removal, k and n panel filter, painted blue calipers, and optimum blue top battery, sylvania silverstar headlights and rally lights.

alright...thanks a lot for the info...

if you want to post the pics of here, thats fine, if not
    Redline927@aol.com

Me and someone else I know just did this on my car 3 weeks and you don't need a spring compressor. But you will need at least one other person to push down on the struts were you torque them back up. Oh and watch your self when you take the springs off. make sure it's not pointing at anyone. It's actually quite easy to do, I had lot more trouble getting the rear struts to go back in. That's a 2 man job as well, someone to hold the rotor in place and another to put the bolts in.

$150 bucks isn't bad as it will probably take you and someone else 3-4 hours to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwrxguy
    But you will need at least one other person to push down on the struts were you torque them back up. Oh and watch your self when you take the springs off. make sure it's not pointing at anyone.
    Um, I'd rather spend a couple dollars renting a spring compressor, than worry about poking my eye out with a giant spring. That's just me, I like all of my fingers and both eyes.
    ribonucleic acid freakout

I used this site ---- >http://www.deepstaged.net/wrxhnr.htm as a guide and it helped tremendously.
    '02 WRB WRX
    '92 Civic Si

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.