What? Put more air pressure in front tires??
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on What? Put more air pressure in front tires?? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have heard quite a few people say that it is best to put more air pressure in the front ...

Question What? Put more air pressure in front tires??

I have heard quite a few people say that it is best to put more air pressure in the front tires as compared to the rear tires. According to many people, this reduces understeer.

IMHO, it would seem more logical to put more air pressure in the rear tires to "round" the tires footprint out more, which would reduce grip, which would increase understeer.

Seems like "rounding" the front tires footprint out, would reduce grip, which would create MORE understeer.

Please, someone clear this up for me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    nope. because the weight distribution on the wrx is about 60/40 ft/rear, then the front tires need a 'lil more air then the back. plus when ur braking alot of the weight transfers to the front tires
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

Lightsped:

A little knowlege is a dangerous thing.

The Rex has a 60 / 40 fore and aft weight bias.

Da wheels in da front wanna be harda dan da wheels in da back.

32 psi front - 28 psi back.

I Support ClubWRX
    Just an additional note to the above: the increased air pressure in front is not to the point that the tyre footprint is round(obviously extreme over inflation). There are some who over inflate in this way the rears to achieve oversteer. This is a dangerous way to do so and there are many better ways to achieve oversteer.

i have mine set at 37f 32r and it really helps out, the tires are rated to 44 psi i think, any pressure up to there should not round the tires, they are radials, its a bit of a harsh ride though.

I Support ClubWRX
    i run mine pretty darn high - something like 38ft/36r
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

If we're talking about the stock rim/tires, there's a few things to remember.

First off, the RE92's that come on the WRX have a max cold inflation of 40PSI. Try not to go over that. The second thing everyone pointed out already; the car's front end is heavier. The third is that a tire handles differently at the limit depending on the tire pressure as well. If you run say 40psi all around, the tires will most likely break away completely differently than what you're used to, and that's not a good thing.

I'm on S03 PP's, and I run 41F/39R. S03's have a max cold inflation of 50PSI, so there's no worries there. I find it helps with the overall grip of the tire, but still keeps them predictible. The unfortunate side effect is that it makes the ride a little harsh, but I can live with it.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

Re: What? Put more air pressure in front tires??

Originally posted by Lightsped
    I have heard quite a few people say that it is best to put more air pressure in the front tires as compared to the rear tires. According to many people, this reduces understeer.

IMHO, it would seem more logical to put more air pressure in the rear tires to "round" the tires footprint out more, which would reduce grip, which would increase understeer.

Seems like "rounding" the front tires footprint out, would reduce grip, which would create MORE understeer.

Please, someone clear this up for me.
    To a point increasing pressure in the front vs rear will help to reduce understeer. Every tire will have an optimum pressure producing the most grip . These are the pressures you should run, anything less or more your compromising grip. As schischwein pointed out there are better ways to deal w/ under/oversteer- sway bars, camber adj, springs etc. The only people really forced to use tire pressure in addressing handling characteristics are those in stock autox classes- they are limited in what suspension mods can be done.

i run 44 front, 41 rear (that's at temperature, not cold).

I don't know but I feel like the tires are too squirmy at lower pressures. think I ought to decrease the pressure ?

I Support ClubWRX
    What are your cold pressures? What tires?

cold pressures are probably on the order of 41f/38r

They are Yokohama AVS ES100s in 225/45R17

I Support ClubWRX
    That might be a smidge high, that's real close to what I run in autox, street I'm running 36f/33r- that's w/ a very stiffwalled T1S though.

If your ride is not uncomfortable at those pressures, then I'd stick with them as your well below the maximum pressures for that tire. If your ride leaves a little to be desired comfort wise you could probably come down a couple of pounds f/r- don't let it become squirmy however as you mentioned.

The only way to find the "ultimate" tire pressure (most adhesion) is w/ a 200' skid pad (or track) and a pyrometer. Essentially taking three measurement across the face of the tread of each tire and adjusting pressures from there. It's aslo a good way to see if camber adjustments are where they need to be. Someday I will actually do that- pyrometers aren't really that expensive.

For autox, I look at roll over on the tread (some use white shoe polish for this)- essentially if the tread is scrubbed to far onto the sidewall - I adjust pressure up, not far enough onto the sidewall- pressure down. Not the most scientific, but until I get a pyrometer it will have to do.

Big Sky

I Support ClubWRX
    pyrometer...hmm....so how much do one of those things run ya? i saw a guy at the track that had one of those hand held thingys that has a laser on it and u just point it at whatever and it tells u what temp its at - looked pretty cool, not quite sure how accurate it is though....

-Robert
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

I Support ClubWRX
    There are some good infared pyrometers out there, they run in the ~$150ish range. They're pretty accurate and fast. Most normal pyrometers also run in the $150ish range, with some in the $300-400 range that store 10 seperate (12 temp each/3 per tire) runs and dispaly all 12 temps at once- probably a little over kill (at least for me).

The nice thing about an IR (if has a adequate range) can measure other components as well (the regular pyrometers can also w/ different probes).

34 front, 33 rear with 225/45-17 S03s. Works good on the street.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.