Alignment basics - Page 3
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Alignment basics within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX I'd dial out ~ .3-.5 degrees in the rear, they usually set the front ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX
    I'd dial out ~ .3-.5 degrees in the rear, they usually set the front first- I'd shoot for roughly .3 to .5 degrees less than front. -1.3ish/ -0.8- -1.0ish should be pretty nice.
    Thanks a bunch!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

this is such a helpful thread.....i am dropping my car and plan on getting an alignment the same day. I want to make sure that the alignment is done correctly, i've had problems in the past with "average" garage, would it be better to take it to a subie dealer perhaps or trust the same place that installs the springs?

thanks
    www.kiowapilots.com

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'd visit w/ the shop that is doing your springs to see if they will do a alignment to your specs. If their installing performance springs, my guess would be they won't have a problem.

I would guess most dealerships would have a problem w/ a "custom" alignment.
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

using OEM bolts with no bolts or plates can we achieve -1.5 up front and -1.3 in the rear? thanks a bunch Big Sky.
    Have a Greddy Evo 2 cat-back Exhaust system, willing to trade for: Greddy Ti, Apex'I N1, or Apex;I GT cat-backs. California only! PM if interested!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherealWRX
    using OEM bolts with no bolts or plates can we achieve -1.5 up front and -1.3 in the rear? thanks a bunch Big Sky.
    It will vary car to car and also what springs are used, but you should see -1.1 to -1.5 front and -1.2 to -1.5 rear. It's more important to have the cross cambers even up front vs max camber on one side- ie better w/ -1.2/-1.2 vs -1.2/-1.5. The rears are no-adj but seem to consistently fall into the -1.3 range. If you have a really(!) good alignment guy- they can make small adj in the rear (maybe a tenth or two) by pushing/pulling on the rear tires to adj camber (after the bolts are loosened) - takes two guys- one to push/pull- the other to tighten when you get where you want.

Ian
    Quick stupid question, I had my friend order me camber bolts and the guy he talked to said that I need 4 bolts, 2 for each side. Now I'm pretty sure I only need 2 bolts to adjust the rear camber, so tell me that I'm right about this, I only need 2 not 4.

Thanks Ian

I Support ClubWRX
    two is correct- they go in the upper strut holes- make sure they orientate them correctly- one way you'll get neg camber, the other positive. also insure they know that both nuts need to be loosened- not just the top

Where can one get camber bolts and plates? And at what cost, thanks a bunch!
    Have a Greddy Evo 2 cat-back Exhaust system, willing to trade for: Greddy Ti, Apex'I N1, or Apex;I GT cat-backs. California only! PM if interested!

I Support ClubWRX
    try oakos.com- they sell both. Caster/camber plates in the $250ish range, camber bolts in the $30 range IIRC

This thread is most helpful. Got an alignment today and immediately noticed better turn-in and cornering. Factory alignment was off on the rear. Frt -3/4 camber l/r, 3/16 toe-in
    Rear was left -1.7 right was -2.5 with both 3/16" toe-out. After specs are good to go! Now I feel the car is optimized!

Blue
    Do You Solo2?

My car is a completely stock 2004 Subaru WRX STI and is used mainly for autocrossing. Can anybody give me alignment settings that have been proven to work? meaning minimize understeer, faster turn-in etc.

Thanks,

Jay

i just got an alignment today at Becker Subaru heres the specs

Front

Camber
    -0.4 ( -0.0) -0.4
    Caster
    3.0 ( -0.3) 3.3
    Toe
    0.01 -0.01

Rear

Camber
    -1.4 ( -0.3) -1.1
    Toe
    -0.00 ( -0.00) 0.00
    Total Toe = - 0.00
    Thrust Angle = - 0.00
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

I first want to say thanks to bigsky for this thread I really learned a lot. I just have one noob question. I have tein coilovers on my STi and I was wondering if I have to get an alignment everythime i adjust the height of my car?

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherLevel
    I first want to say thanks to bigsky for this thread I really learned a lot. I just have one noob question. I have tein coilovers on my STi and I was wondering if I have to get an alignment everythime i adjust the height of my car?
    Yes. Changing the rideheight will change toe and camber.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by qoncept
    Yes. Changing the rideheight will change toe and camber.
    what he said