Alignment basics - Page 16
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920 LastLast

This is a discussion on Alignment basics within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX unfortunately the new (08+) Imprezas are unable to use camber bolts- they are no ...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    unfortunately the new (08+) Imprezas are unable to use camber bolts- they are no longer strut based in the rear
    I totally missed that - if I want to adjust camber in the rear (because I don't want to run that much negative camber) I would need a camber plate setup?

Any links to exactly what is in the 2011-2012 WRX in terms of suspension?

edit: reading this thread why camber plates may even better than you think
    2012 WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    camber plates are also for strut based suspensions (again these will work up front)

for the rear you're looking either new arm assemblies (expensive) or camber bushings like this

Whiteline 08+ Subaru WRX/STI Rear Camber Adjusting Kit (KCA326)
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Ah, ok. Front is struts (and has been for a while) and the rear became... help me out here. I need to understand the differences.
    2012 WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    it's a double wishbone w/ a shock, by lengthening or shortening one of the arms you will change camber in the rear- it was a lot easier when it was struts in the rear

I finally got a custom alignment, it didn't work out before the winter, and I'm too passive to have made a fuss about it. I just won't bring my car there again for a alignment.

So I must say thanks again BigSky for the help, the car feels much more planted and the turn in wow what a difference. I'll be putting the alignment and new tires to the test this Wednesday for the first AutoX of the season.

Here's a picture of my print out, sorry for such a bad picture I don't have a scanner.

Basically -0.9 and -0.8 for my front camber, -0.01 for my front toe. Rear I have 0.00 left toe, 0.02 right toe.
    What concerns me is my rear camber, -0.9 left camber and -1.4 right camber. Does this mean something is bent? Should I look into this?

I Support ClubWRX
    looks pretty darn good I doubt if anything is bent, it's not uncommon to see 0.5 cross in the rear, if it was anymore I'd say possibly look into rear camber bolts to square it up (I'd go more towards -0.9 than -1.4)- as it is, I'd say leave it be

That's good to hear, I was a bit worried. Can I get camber bolts for the rear on a 09?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by A265 View Post
    That's good to hear, I was a bit worried. Can I get camber bolts for the rear on a 09?
    sorry didn't look at your avatar the answer is no, pretty pricey to get camber adjustment in the rear of the GH/GR's

mfd
    Hey

I read through this thread and did a search but still have a couple questions:

1 what is the stock oem camber for the rear of the 2011+ wrx's knowing it is limited in adjustability?

2 What if you do lower the car and need the rear adjusted, is it possible with stock parts or do you need the bushings to get back to acceptable camber?

Thanks in advance.

Aaron

I Support ClubWRX
    no oe adj in the rear w/ the 08+'s sadly, not sure on the 11+'s, but the 08-10's have too much neg camber in the rear IMO- mine is -1.7-ish

eccentric bushings or adjustable arms (it's a double wishbone) are the only options

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    no oe adj in the rear w/ the 08+'s sadly, not sure on the 11+'s, but the 08-10's have too much neg camber in the rear IMO- mine is -1.7-ish

eccentric bushings or adjustable arms (it's a double wishbone) are the only options
    I forget what my rears are - the camber is just a fall out after setting it to zero toe. I wasn't happy with mine either though, and they was a decent amount of cross there as well. I wish there were cheaper options than rear control arms. Those bushings don't offer much adjustment, and they will supposedly cost nearly as much as control arms after your alignment guy bills ya for the added fuss a few times.

As per the original question, I only got about -1.5 degrees with added camber bolts. I will try another shop though next time around. Don't like the one I went to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Hello everyone this will be my first post on this forum, but anyway I just had an alignment done yesterday and was wondering why my RR has so much - camber when Iv been reading post after post about needing camber bolts to get any kind of camber out of the rear.

My specs from the print out are:

Camber:
    FL: -1.2 (max they could get)
    FR: -1.0 (also max)
    RL: -1.0
    RR: -2.2 (wtf?)

Toe is 0.00 - 0.03 all the way around

After I picked my car up I took it out for a drive on some back roads.... first turn I did happend to be a right hander and my rear end stepped out so fast it wasn't even funny. I am not pleased with the rear end alignment of my car.
    BTW if anyone was wondering i have my rear swaybar set to 22mm With stock suspension on a 2003 WRX.
    Last edited by Wrex90; 06-30-2012 at 08:23 AM.

Are you running a factory sway bar up front? or an aftermarket? Reason I ask is because adding just a bar in the rear will notoriously make the car rear happy (loose/oversteer). Sway bars reduce weight transfer but some is still needed to increase traction on the outside wheel (this is why you need a little bit of roll to maintain stability).. I'm not sure what you mean by "set" to 22mm.. is it a 22mm bar on the hard setting?
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    you are definitely a candidate for a rear camber bolt, 1.2 degree cross is too much imo, what I'd do is put camber bolts in both rear struts- add a little neg to the RL and add positive to the RR, shoot for ~ -1.3-ish for both sides- a couple of tenths cross is fine, over 1 is not

it's very possible there is something slightly tweaked on the right side- strut, knuckle, lateral link(s)- not enough that I'd worry about chasing it down- camber bolts will cure your problem just fine

make sure you have a shop that really knows what they are doing w/ camber bolts- there are many shops that don't have the foggiest

there is a good camber bolt tutorial on nasioc, worth looking at even if you don't put them in yourself- that way you can see if they are screwing it up

What a great thread. Thank you so much for Sticky-ing this. It answered my questions and more before I posted a stupid question.