Loud suspension clunk from rear when going over bumps

This is a discussion on Loud suspension clunk from rear when going over bumps within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a Perrin rear sway bar / endlinks, and progress springs. Other than that my suspension is stock. Yesterday, ...

Loud suspension clunk from rear when going over bumps

I have a Perrin rear sway bar / endlinks, and progress springs. Other than that my suspension is stock. Yesterday, I adjusted my sway bar from the middle setting, to full stiff. After doing some hard driving, I noticed that when my back wheels go over bumps, there is a large clunk/grind type of sound. I have checked the endlinks, and sway bar mounts, everything seems fine. Could one of the rear springs have rotated when I jacked the back end of the car up or something? Any sort of insight would be appreciated.
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I would have to guess it's related t the sway bar. It's possible that at the firmest setting, the bar is coming in contact w/ the rear lateral link.

Go back to the middle or softest setting and see if it still does it.

Big Sky

Yeah, that happened to me with a Cusco Rear Sway Bar and Kartboy endlinks... the protruding piece of the sway bar came into contact with the lateral link every time i went over a speed bump. Went to stock endlinks and it was fine... and its still fine with the helix endlinks although it does tend to be rougher since its a sperical bearing design.
    Yes, that is me in my avatar! Kid's don't try this at home.
    CLICKY to view My Extensive Mod List!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX
    I would have to guess it's related t the sway bar. It's possible that at the firmest setting, the bar is coming in contact w/ the rear lateral link.

Go back to the middle or softest setting and see if it still does it.

Big Sky

I'll give that a try

I'll be happy and sad at the same time if that fixes it. It's nice an flat in the corners like this
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes

umm this may sound kinda stupid but check the spare tire area for the tire iron bag that moves and hits things in there.

when ever i went over a speed bump it jumped up and hit the spare tire making a clunk/screech noise.

if not then i would think the sway bar is the problem.
    NEW 03 WRX bought NOV 16th 2002
    classified as a LEMON =(
    NEW 04 WRX traded with 03 lemon
    AUGUST 31st 2003

work for HONDA drives a SUBARU =p

Quote Originally Posted by nevergivethatup
    umm this may sound kinda stupid but check the spare tire area for the tire iron bag that moves and hits things in there.

when ever i went over a speed bump it jumped up and hit the spare tire making a clunk/screech noise.

if not then i would think the sway bar is the problem.

Funny you mention that. A month or so before I got my WRX I read about someone who had the same problem, so at the dealership when I was picking up my car, I put the tools in w/ the jack on the side

On the bright side, I solved the clunk.

The passenger side swaybar to endlink bolt had no lock washer on it, so after a few hours of hard driving it loosened up and started rattling, and then that in turn made the sway bar all looseygoosey, slamming into stuff all over the place, etc. I'm just surprised it didn't fall off

Went to the local hardware store and picked up a lock washer, tossed it on there, problem solved.
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes

Mine did the same thing, and then broke a bolt and spit the spacers.
    It only started after I went to the stiffest setting. So I am assuming that the bar was soo stiff it snapped the weak Subaru bolts. Time to upgrade to grade 16 aircraft fasteners.
    Creeping up on creeping for a decade.
    Bugeye Mafia V2 #322

glad to hear you solved the problem.
    NEW 03 WRX bought NOV 16th 2002
    classified as a LEMON =(
    NEW 04 WRX traded with 03 lemon
    AUGUST 31st 2003

work for HONDA drives a SUBARU =p