Project wagon begins! - Page 9
Page 9 of 104 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Project wagon begins! within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally posted by Roamin'Coyote Mike, I just got Ken's update on the GB...so the porterfields are good, or should I ...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Roamin'Coyote
    Mike,

I just got Ken's update on the GB...so the porterfields are good, or should I be looking for a different pad?? Aggressive street is what I'm looking for. Nice work on the wagon......makes me smile.

-wYlie
    wagons rule!
    I think the R4S's will fit that bill nicely. I haven't tried Porterfield pads yet, but did order a set of the R4S's (front/rear). I also ordered a set of their R4's for track days.

Porterfield has a prtetty good reputation, looking forward to giving them a try.

Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

This thread is getting long. Great build-up thus far.

Can we get a list of the Project Wagon mods thus far and include any alterations you had to make?

Also, could you inclue a price breakdown thus far.

Thx.
    -B4
    Last edited by B4gery; 08-10-2004 at 11:11 PM.

I am a newb. I just got my '04 Silver Wagon and i love it. I even managed to keep it under the 4k for the 1st thousand, but since then i have been eating gas like a nutball cuz i love the high revs.

In any case, i am very interested in this thread cuz i want to throw in some mods to improve my handling before i approach modding an engine that is still more than i can competently handle.

If i order that Cobb sway bar set, wull it fit my wagon? You were saying something about new mounts or something on the '04 models? Also, what kind of max wheel size/width can i throw on without dealing with mods just yet....i'm thinkin liek 17x8? What are some of the advantages/dis of wheel sizes?

Any help you guys can offer would be much appreciated. I was checking out "wrxforum" and this place seems like it has much cooler people. Sorry for writing an essay, i am just overzealous.
    '04 PSM Wagon. Silver Wagon Club? What is that? Am i in it?

I Support ClubWRX
    The wagon utilizes a differnt length sway bar up front, so anything designed for the sedan won't fit- the rears will fit.

The 04's came w/ a upgraded sway mount (mounts that secure the sway bars to the chassis) so your good to go there already.

You can run 17X8's w/o a problem (w/ offsets in the 46-48ish range), 225's are about as wide as you want to go though. There are no guarantees w/ tire fitment though unless someone is running an identical setup as yours- include tire width, make, wheel width, offset, camber settings, amount of lowering, etc.

A wider wheel provides for a stiffer sidewall (given the same tire), it can also increse section width slightly as well.

I'd highly reccomend a oem 02 sedan rear sway bar as a start and go from there. You may find it's all the sway bar you want/need. Buy the best tire you can and pop for a good alignment, increasing neg camber up front and you'll be off to a good start.

Big Sky

Thanks Big Sky,

After reading through this forum a bunch, i am thinkin' i like the Rota Torques....however i did read somethin on the subydude page that says i will have to alter my fenders to fit a 225 on there with a 17x8. I am into wider tires but as a newb i am looking for something that will be a good compromise between lookin sweet, actually being sweet and not costing me an arm and a leg--as it is i am gonna have to save for the next three months to get a tire/rim package that i'll be satisfied with.

Again, thanks and if anyone else has some ideas for me, or wants to tell me about what they did i would appreciate it.

I Support ClubWRX
    It's possible the rear fenders would have to be rolled, but very possible they wouldn't either. Check the stickies above- I linked a site discussing do it yourself fender rolling- it's not that big of a deal really.

Big Sky

wkw
    Here is a pic of my silver wagon with steel gray rota torques. 17x7.5 with 225/45/17 Nitto Neo-Gen tires. Lowered with Tein Type Wagon coilovers. I am switching to AGX with prodrive springs and group N tops soon:

bill

looks nice! I just saw some pics of soem 18x8s on a sedan and am nwo considering getting 18s instead...any ideas on this? What are the disadvantages of gettign rims this big other than never being able to hit a curb again? I figure there has to be something cuz most of the people on this site seem to be running 17s.....

Also, those Nitto neo gens seem like they are well priced for quality tires?

wkw
    I am not sure about running 8" rims on the wagon. I would do some research, offset will be critical. 17" seem to be the right mix of performance and comfort. Also you can go over curbs and whatnot without having to worry so much. The Neo-Gens have somewhat soft sidewalls, at least in the 225/45 size. they do have good grip and are well made. I get more sidewall flex than I would like though, next time I might get 235/40. That is my 3rd set of Rotas. I really like them, they are cheap, well made and fit perfectly.

bill

I Support ClubWRX
    Got the wagon realigned w/ the recent work (aluminum front arms/lateral links).

Bought a set of camber bolts and figured I would double up the front (oem up top/camber bolts below) to get additional camber- only could get -0.9 last alignment (a little more on one side, but wanted 0 cross camber- so went down to match the other side).

We loosened everything up first and wanted to see if we could get any more w/ just the oem camber bolts (often after some driving/settling of suspension you can)- much to my suprise we were able to get -1.3 both sides

The rear had increased from -1.5 to -1.8- SO I decided to instead put the camber bolts in the rear and dial in some positive camber there. I was a little concerned w/ the smaller bolts up front where the suspension gets a real workout, so that factored into my decision as well.

I set rear camber to -0.6; toe I left the same settings I had before 1mm toe out/side- front and rear.

Initial report is favorable- I have a two event the weekend after next and will be able to give a more accurate report.

BTW my caster values only changed very slightly w/ the new arms- they actually kind of swapped- before- left 3.5, right 3.3 w/ aluminum arms left 3.4, right 3.6.

Big Sky

Originally posted by Big Sky WRX
    BTW my caster values only changed very slightly w/ the new arms- they actually kind of swapped- before- left 3.5, right 3.3 w/ aluminum arms left 3.4, right 3.6.

Big Sky
    And the important question here is, did the car pull to the right on level roads before the install and does it pull to the left now?
    Big pimpin' in a Legacy GT Wagon

R.I.P. WRX Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by driggity
    And the important question here is, did the car pull to the right on level roads before the install and does it pull to the left now?
    Not that I noticed- it'll take more more than a couple of tenths I think to notice any difference in cross caster. However I should note that my front toe was way out of whack (lots of toe in) after the install- I could notice this distinctly. I've heard folks advise of not needing an alignment after front arm swaps- I'd have to disagree on that. I think I'd reccomend an alignment even after a ALK swap- if the rear bushing is even a smidge different in it's alignment it will have an effect on toe.

Amazingly my rear toe was almost unchanged (a couple of hundredths each side)- that's just from marking the eccentric bolts and getting them to line back up w/ the marks- probably a little luck as well . I'd definitely reccomend an alignment as well anytime the lateral links are taken off or replaced.

Big Sky

Nice thread. I'm doing the upgrade path on my wagon right now as well....('02 OBS)
    so far....20mm sedan rsb, kartboy ss and bushings, ganz in the mail, lookin for a brullen or stromung catback...

Big Sky,

What tires have you used and which ones do you like the best for track days?

I've used s03's and BFG KD's. Both great tires. I'm still running the KD's now but I got a small nail in one of them and may have to end up replacing all 4 tires so I'm looking for other options.

LB
    Open minds, free powder!

XXX Santa Cruz boards for life! XXX

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Lowball
    Big Sky,

What tires have you used and which ones do you like the best for track days?

I've used s03's and BFG KD's. Both great tires. I'm still running the KD's now but I got a small nail in one of them and may have to end up replacing all 4 tires so I'm looking for other options.

LB
    I've used the S03's- very nice stiff sidewalls (probably the stiffest I've run) good dry and wet grip, tire wear was less than optimal (considering the price), tire is heavy (probably related to the stiff sidewall?). Toyo T1S was good all around tire, little soft in the sidewall, unbelievable wet traction- wet and standing water both, very light tire and good tire wear (for a hi po anyways). I'm currently running the Pirelli Nero (no longer available in my size- 225/50/16 )- good wet/dry grip, not as good in standing water as the T1, sidewall a little stiffer than the T1, less than the S03- tire wear is good. A little less communicative than the S03's and T1's.

I'll probably give the GSD3 or the Pilot Sport a go next year- I have to have both wet/dry or I'd probably be running Azeni's or KD's- I don't think anything touches their dry grip- don't think either are very long lived though.

How do you like the KD's? Are you on 16's or 17's? If your on 17's look at the "new" Pilot Sport PS2- these have gotten rave reviews thus far. Unfortunately only 17+ sizing

Big Sky