Project wagon begins! - Page 8
Page 8 of 104 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Project wagon begins! within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; It doesn't interfere with the function of your struts so it really doesn't "harshen" the ride but it will "stiffin" ...

It doesn't interfere with the function of your struts so it really doesn't "harshen" the ride but it will "stiffin" the ride. You'll notice it. Only thing gonna really harshen the ride to a real noticeable degree are things like lower profile tires, stiffer springs, coil overs. even strut bars to a degree.

but I guess it depends on your idea of harsh ride.

Only real disadvantage is gonna be if you just don't like it. That and in the snow it is a set back. Makes the rear end a bit more prone to step out on you. But as long as you don't go getting like this beast of a bar I really don't think you are gonna unbalance your car,not like it, or have many problems in the snow.

Stay like....20-22 and you should be solid since our front bars are 20.
    Last edited by OneManArmy; 08-04-2004 at 01:26 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

word. My stock sways are 0.0mm in the front and 0.0mm in the back.
    Can you tell?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rollypoley.jpg  
    Pushin' a Honda but scoping the Scoobies.

Sweet heavenly jeebus...everytime I look at these pictures I shake my head and laugh. I'm lucky I wasn't scraping my side view mirrors
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails roley poley.jpg  
    Pushin' a Honda but scoping the Scoobies.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

Re: front aluminum control arms

Originally posted by Lowball
    Mike,

Tell more about how you got these in. What did you do about the bushing deal??? How do they feel??? I'm interested in this set up if it really makes a difference in the handling of the car?

Also, what are your feelings on the 20mm front bar with the 21mm rear bar?

As you know I'm running the 20mm f wagon and 20mm r sedan bar. All things being equal, will the 21mm rear bar help with body roll as well as help reduce understeer?

I've been told that my car is very flat in the turns (BMW guy who was following me around the track). I would expect the 21mm bar to further help in this regard.

LB
    Day to day driving you'll never know you have the aluminum arms up front, start pushing it to 8 or 9/10ths and you'll kow you have them. They are much stiffer than the stamped steel ones and replacing the rear bushing to Grp N ones make it that much stiffer. Stiffness in control arms combats unwanted camber change, which equates to more grip. As a bonus your shedding some unsprung weight as well ~ 1.5 lbs/side.

If one owned a sedan, to me it's no brainer ~ $300 for the whole kit and kabootle- rear bushing/ball joints, etc. For us "poor" wagon owners it's more expensive- there isn't the # of GC arms out there as there is GD ones, so we pay more. So it becomes a question of whether it's worth it $ wise, that becomes tougher and is different for each person. You do track your car so your going to see more benefit than a strictly street driven car.

I have seen GC takeoffs for $350-400 w/ all the bits, if a guy can find a good set that would be the way to go.

The other option is to upgrade just the rear bushings to Group N ones, I did that w/ my sedan before I had a little offcourse excursion. and replaced my bent arm w/ aluminum ones- the bushings alone made a difference.

The larger rear sway bar, in addition to dialing out some understeer, will decrease body roll some as well. The 21mm rear w/ 20mm front seems to be a very good combo for the wagon.

scottigee- that look like GP Moto styling!

Big Sky

yeah...I'll be doing bushings in the spring. Whole work up. Steering as well.

I had jdm control arms when I had my civic. same deal there. USDM stamped. JDM solid. lighter. stiffer.

pisses me off. they bet better suspension. Better head lights. and better motors..errr. At the least they could give us the suspension bits and the headlights.

Made a big difference for me but I also had a fwd car so the extra strength up there was massively noticeable.

I Support ClubWRX
    Better brakes too

Mike, I see a stoptech BBK in your future... with rear H6 conversion... right?
    Tuned Perfection Autosports
    2005 Sti Widebody

Originally posted by Big Sky WRX
    Better brakes too
    I replaced the front control arm bushing with the GroupN STi ones back awhile ago. But the aluminum arms seem to be the next step. You said the bushings were to small. What did you end up doing to get the right bushing installed with the aluminum arms? or am I missing something.

LB
    Open minds, free powder!

XXX Santa Cruz boards for life! XXX

Originally posted by coolblue04
    Mike, I see a stoptech BBK in your future... with rear H6 conversion... right?
    BBK all the way! I love me ST-40 kit!
    Open minds, free powder!

XXX Santa Cruz boards for life! XXX

If he gets a BBK that requires 17s he'll be taking a lot of flack from me for being a sellout

And Mike, weren't you planning on coming out this way soon? Is that still happening?
    Big pimpin' in a Legacy GT Wagon

R.I.P. WRX Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Funny I posted yesterday- but it's in cyber space now

Check the tutorial section- I've got two recent additions- one goes through what's needed for a aluminum control arm swap.

The GC front bushing is 55mm wide, the GG oem one is 61mm- so you need to make up ~ 6mm so the front bushing fits snug in the bracket on the cross member. I found some metric, hardened washers the right size and were ~ 2.5mm thick, by the time I cinched things down they were more then snug in the bracket. Also I discovered that the GC sway links (pillowball) are too long, the GD (WRX/STi) sdan ones fit correectlt- they're cheaper too

No BBK for me- couldn't bare the flack from driggity . I like 16" rims (even some 15's for rallyx), so I'm going FHI four pots up front w/ DBA 5000's and "H6" DBA 4657 in the rear. I just found out that there are no Ferodo DS2500's in the states for the four pots and won't be until October - so I'm going to give the R4S's a try for daily driving/autox and a set of R4's for the track.

I don't think I'll be making it to the west coast this year unfortunately, half my vacation I'll be working the Sturgis Rally to help defray costs of my upgrades. I am going to make it to Pacific Raceway- maybe this fall, if not next year for sure.

Mike

Isn't driggity the guy who bought that other brake upgrade out from under you some time ago? And then rubbed it in? Where does he get off giving you grief about 17's?

J/k. I'm really enjoying these posts.

Not out from under him. The guy offered to sell it to me before Big Sky asked him about it. I may have rubbed it in a little bit though And I was just looking out for his best interests as I knew that he'd want to run 15s at some point. Not to mention saving him money. Especially on brake pads. I'm really quite the saint

You should let me know when you're coming out to Pacific. I've been a complete failure at making it out to the track this year. Too much other stuff going on. The one event I was sure about (Portland at the end of this month) isn't even going to happen.

For those just looking at replacing the bushings for the front control arms I'd strongly suggest looking into an Anti lift kit instead. I really wish that I had made that upgrade earlier. Especially for only $150. Just be aware that if you auto-x with an organization that follows the SCCA classifications you'll technically be in a class that you have no chance of being competitive in since it offsets the subframe.
    Big pimpin' in a Legacy GT Wagon

R.I.P. WRX Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Rudy
    Isn't driggity the guy who bought that other brake upgrade out from under you some time ago? And then rubbed it in? Where does he get off giving you grief about 17's?

J/k. I'm really enjoying these posts.
    That's the guy alright, w/ the fancy, shmancy AP brake kit that clears 16" wheels!
    The elusive kit, never offered here stateside, that I pursued like Melville's Captain Ahab pursued Moby ****, for over two years- that's the guy OK.

I will make it to Pacific- hopefully sooner than later. Too bad on PIR- very nice track!

Mike

Mike,

I just got Ken's update on the GB...so the porterfields are good, or should I be looking for a different pad?? Aggressive street is what I'm looking for. Nice work on the wagon......makes me smile.

-wYlie
    wagons rule!