Project wagon begins! - Page 7
Page 7 of 104 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Project wagon begins! within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; How does the new tranny mount feel? I have one waiting to be installed; just curious what your impressions are. ...

I Support ClubWRX
    How does the new tranny mount feel? I have one waiting to be installed; just curious what your impressions are. Also, did you find any increase in NVH with your new rear diff bushings?
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Integra96
    How does the new tranny mount feel? I have one waiting to be installed; just curious what your impressions are. Also, did you find any increase in NVH with your new rear diff bushings?
    Much better IMO- I notice no increase in NVH. I ran the entire Group N drivetrain/suspension setup in my sedan and never noticed any increase in NVH.

It's possible I'm "immune" to increase in NVH though?

Big Sky

Originally posted by jawbrkr
    Well the parts are on order, and I'll let you know what happens in the long run.
    I īm interested in your answer too.

I īm posting from Greece and i had an issue with my 2004 GGA wagon front suspension.
    I had to replace my front control arm and the local dealer gave me the sedanīs GDA aluminium control arm.
    When i noticed the difference in length between them,and told the dealer he told me i could use them but i had to buy the front swaybar+endlinks of the sedan.So i did.
    After 2 months i ended with a destroyed driverīs halfshaft,and axle-hub.The dealer changed them on warranty and i went back to wagon original set-up.
    So i have still in mygarage the sedanīs parts (control arms+swaybar+endlinks).I saw from a friend dealer the part numbers on halfshafts, between sedan-wagon MY04 and there are different.
    I īm thinking on doing the experiment and placing again the sedan stuff i have + sedanīs halfshafts.
    So if anybody has the same setup to his wagon i would appreciate if he could post his thoughts.

Some other stuff waiting also!

Originally posted by Big Sky WRX
    subaruxtras has some in stock, I see the SPT site just added them too.

Mike
    Mike,

I just ordered the bar from Mike at subaruxtras.com. That guy was very nice and helpful. Thanks for the tip.

Lowball
    Open minds, free powder!

XXX Santa Cruz boards for life! XXX

I Support ClubWRX
    Mike's a keeper

Had a busy weekend of wrenching.

Got the front aluminum control arms in
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails aluminstalled.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    AND Group N lateral link bushings and front aluminum "Saab" lateral links
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails auminstalled.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    No BBK for me- 16" only (15" for rallyx maybe )- not worth the flack from driggity moving up to 17's

I will be getting FHI four pots up front, mated w/ DBA 5000's and "H6" 4657's rear. Unfortunately there are no Ferodo DS2500's in the country- so I'll be trying another pad this time around.

Lowball- look in the tutrial section I have two entires- one part #'s/schematics for the GC arms and one on install front arms in general.

The front bushings differed by 6mm -55mm bushing pressed into the GC arm, 61mm bushing pressed into the GG arm (essentially 3mm more metal on each side of the bushing) I found some hard washers the right size that were just under 3mm thick. They tightened up perfectly.

The other "differnce" I discovered was the sway links- I ordered a set of GC pillow links (they're longer than the GD ones). Turns out WRX sedan ones fit better (they're cheaper too ~ $30/pair).

BTW Gr8 wheels has two full sets of GC arms for sale in Nasioc vendor section (suspension) I think for $450/set. You may be able to talk them down some.

Mike

Looks beautiful, very well thought out.

-Jacob
    Tuned Perfection Autosports
    2005 Sti Widebody

Are aluminum control arms streetable? I thought I heard that bumps and potholes will twist 'em up good. .. .

Nice install...nice parts!
    Pushin' a Honda but scoping the Scoobies.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by scottigee
    Are aluminum control arms streetable? I thought I heard that bumps and potholes will twist 'em up good. .. .

Nice install...nice parts!
    Perfectly streetable- these are oem bits. The "old" JDM WRX/STi's came w/ these oem. The WRX sedans (newer GDA's) come w/ these oem around the world (minus NA ). The GDB's (STi sedans), including the USDM model come w/ these oem as well.

These are the "choice" of arms for rally- they're fully forged and mucho strong (and stiff).

The aluminum lateral links are also oem in Japan now (and the Saab ) here), my guess is we'll see them oem here on WRX's in the MY06 model.

Big Sky

oh
    well alright then.
    carry on....

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by scottigee
    oh
    well alright then.
    carry on....

Thumbs up front aluminum control arms

Mike,

Tell more about how you got these in. What did you do about the bushing deal??? How do they feel??? I'm interested in this set up if it really makes a difference in the handling of the car?

Also, what are your feelings on the 20mm front bar with the 21mm rear bar?

As you know I'm running the 20mm f wagon and 20mm r sedan bar. All things being equal, will the 21mm rear bar help with body roll as well as help reduce understeer?

I've been told that my car is very flat in the turns (BMW guy who was following me around the track). I would expect the 21mm bar to further help in this regard.

LB
    Open minds, free powder!

XXX Santa Cruz boards for life! XXX

Is there a disadvantage to going too think on the sway bars? Besides harsh ride I mean...

Thicker swaybars would not increase the harshness of the ride.
    Tuned Perfection Autosports
    2005 Sti Widebody