Project wagon begins! - Page 51
Page 51 of 104 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061101 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Project wagon begins! within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The Whiteline bars are pretty beefy and actually measure 22.5mm in diameter. I've got the front in the firmer hole, ...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The Whiteline bars are pretty beefy and actually measure 22.5mm in diameter. I've got the front in the firmer hole, the rear in the middle.

Initial impressions- no difference in driving manners around town (including a bunch of uneven construction). Took a short little run and the car is flatter w/ the larger bars- not a lot, but a little.

Have a autox on Monday, I'll put them through their paces then
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails whitevspinkfront.jpg   frontadjend.jpg   frontendmounted.jpg   whitevspinkrear.jpg  
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Why didn't you want to use the yellow poly bushings that came with the bars?

I Support ClubWRX
    My experience w/ poly has been a little- say squeeky

I've had the white line sways and bushings in for a few months now. The only squeeking I hear is a little squeek when I get into my car after it's been sitting there for a while. Like the suspension shifts a little and after that, hard or soft driving, it's quiet.

I am going to take your advice and get those Group N bushings. I've only found 1 tutorial for the installation though. It's by **** Nogs over here: pressing in the STI bushings - howto
    Do you know if that harbor freight bushing tool kit will work with the bushings in the trailing links too? I don't know anyone with a press and that nifty bushing punch you have.

I'll most likely get the bushings from Subarugenuineparts.com, but does anyone know where I can get a kit for a price reduction?
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

I Support ClubWRX
    My poly experience isn't based on anything from Whiteline- they may actually have quiet poly- it's based on my truck which needs relatively frequent regreasing. I figured I'd take no chance

The front trailing links require a big press and you should have the correct "special" tool to do it- they are metal lined bushings (thus metal on metal)- everything needs to be perfect or w/ that much force you could easily break/bend something.

I just got a couple of more sets of Grp N bushings (front trailing) and will be pressing them in this afternoon. If you want I can hold a set of trailing arms for you. You could then resell your oe links (or keep them for spares). I also rent out the rear bushing tool for a very minimal fee (could even ship it at the same time to save $).

The Harbor Freight does a good job on the lateral links, but wouldn't work for the trailing links.

Cool, Def interested as I haven't bought anything yet. PM sent.

.... Don't want to turn your thread into the "personal for sale" forum.
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

I Support ClubWRX
    Back from the autox While this certainly isn't my favorite type of course- several rather tight radius turns (a tire squealer!) linked together w/ rather short straights- it appears the larger bars are having a positive impact. The car rotated pretty well considering the tighness of the turns- far from oversteering, but I could modulate w/ the throttle pretty well though the turns- a slight lift would get me pointed in the right direction. A pretty good sign was the utter lack of tire squealing (I'm chalking it up to the larger front bar reducing camber loss)- and there was a lot of it today! I'm kind of wishing I ran just the larger front bar on it's own first to see what effects it had singularly- oh well.

BTW no decrease in the daily driving department w/ the slightly larger bars- this includes some rather bad construction w/ pretty uneven terrain.

Your larger bar = less camber loss comment is reinforcing my idea of trying the Whiteline 27 mm frontbar. I may or may not get it in by the end of the season.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I Support ClubWRX
    OK here is a setup dilema two day event this weekend- forecast is for a rain and snow mix

This could be interesting- sway bars will both be knocked down a notch, damping backed off- I'll have to play w/ tire pressures w/ highs only around 40-45 my normal temps probably won't compare too well.

Also found out that the Whiteline 22mm adj rear bar is in the nominal position in the middle setting (ie 22mm in the middle setting) w/ a softer and firmer setting on each side- this is different than many sway bars where the nominal setting is the softest setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX
    On the hats the four pot hats (DBA 5000) are different than the oe USDM rotors (5010)- Steve explained to me why along time ago and now I forget exactly why that is (as they do share the same rotor dimensions). IIRC you could run the 5000 hats on the USDM two pot sliders, but couldn't run the 5010 hat w/ the four pots.
    The 5000 will not fit the 2 pot USDM sliders - the hardware comes too close to the caliper carrier.

The 5010 fits either - but was made for the USDM 2 pots. The tabs are recessed a bit to get the hardware out of the way.

I've had both in hand - for some reason I recall the 5010 ring to be a bit beefier - but i didn't have them at the same time.

The bad news is DBA have raised the price a ton as of 7/1/06 - almost as much as the STi 2 piece - there are still may be some vendors with a set laying around but soon enough unless they re-adjust they will cost...

I'm hoping this one gets changed back.

I Support ClubWRX
    ^ that makes sense as the 5000 was made first, thus no reason to make the 5010 unless there was a fitment issue w/ the two pot sliders (which sounds like there was/is)

I Support ClubWRX
    Got snowed out last weekend, ofcourse this weekend it's 65 and sunny! Grrrrrrr.....

Discovered my rear sway bar had either walked (or I misaligned it slightly when installing- Never ), irregardless I got some Poltec swaybar clamps so it won't happen again- got a set for the front too.

oohhh those are nice mike. ya got a link for me to purchase them?

vince

Quote Originally Posted by j*bishop
    oohhh those are nice mike. ya got a link for me to purchase them?
    Here's a link for ya: http://www.poltec.us/misc.htm

thank you sir!