Project wagon begins! - Page 4
Page 4 of 104 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Project wagon begins! within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm getting control arms for my wagon as well.. which control arms did you pick up? GC8 or the GDB ...

I'm getting control arms for my wagon as well.. which control arms did you pick up? GC8 or the GDB ? I don't know if you know but if you pick up the GC8 it'll fit the wagon endlinks fine, but if youre using the GDB, the endlinks are different.

Nevermind I read the rest of your post.. nice find with the gc arms.
    Last edited by jawbrkr; 07-09-2004 at 08:24 AM.
    "Son video games develop better hand eye coordination and make children into better human beings" - Prof. Membrane

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by jawbrkr
    I'm getting control arms for my wagon as well.. which control arms did you pick up? GC8 or the GDB ? I don't know if you know but if you pick up the GC8 it'll fit the wagon endlinks fine, but if youre using the GDB, the endlinks are different.

Nevermind I read the rest of your post.. nice find with the gc arms.
    Yeah their GC ones, if going GD, do your hoemwork. Their longer and will definiely impact suspension geometry- I'd also be concerned w/ axle length, effects on cv joints/wheel bearings etc.

It has been done, but I don't know aht other bits they replaced.

Big Sky

to my understanding, all i need is sedan endlinks, control arms, swaybar, sedan shocks and springs... if you know of anything else, please let me know. there isn't a lot of material on this subject.
    "Son video games develop better hand eye coordination and make children into better human beings" - Prof. Membrane

Nice looking setup Mike!! Keep us posted on the project as it moves along.
    Tuned Perfection Autosports
    2005 Sti Widebody

Originally posted by jawbrkr
    to my understanding, all i need is sedan endlinks, control arms, swaybar, sedan shocks and springs... if you know of anything else, please let me know. there isn't a lot of material on this subject.
    Those things should make the setup work but there could be an issue with using the wagon halfshafts in the long run. The CV joints may have enough "give" to them to make things work correctly but I'm not sure and I haven't heard of anyone running this setup for a long period of time.
    Big pimpin' in a Legacy GT Wagon

R.I.P. WRX Wagon

Well the parts are on order, and I'll let you know what happens in the long run.

I Support ClubWRX
    Got my alignment done- most camber I could get out of the drivers side was -0.9 (could get -1.2 on the other side) so settled on -0.9 (l/r), evened up the rear w/ -1.5/side (with some pushing pulling).

Toe I set to 1mm out/side- front and rear.

My alignment guy is great to work w/! 0 cross camber, 0 cross toe- he's a perfectionist.

I'll get ride height tomorrow- eyeballing it, looks pretty close to what it was.

First autox in the wagon tomorrow

Big Sky
    Last edited by Big Sky WRX; 08-17-2004 at 04:31 PM.

pardon me if i'm wrong, but i've always had the alignment done AFTER setting the desired ride height not before. since once you reset the ride height you are also changing your alignment measurements
    i got a '04 wrx wagon and z20 rhd toyota soarer

He has struts and springs I dont think he will be changing the ride height, just measuring.
    Alex

I Support ClubWRX
    Alex is correct, just measuring (which I still haven't done). I can report that after a lengthy autox session (all is right w/ the world again- I'm back in the saddle )
    that the setup is working thus far. Turn in is precise, long sweepers were amazing, slaloms excellent and the car would transition very well. In tighter corners I'm battling some understeer- I think more camber up front ( a degree of caster wouldn't hurt either) would help.

So far so good. The daily driven ride is very acceptable thus far as well.

Big Sky

I Support ClubWRX
    ride heights

before f/l 387, f/r 392, r/l 378 r/r 379

after f/l 387, f/r 391, r/l 372, r/r 375

essentially front unchanged, rear minimal drop 4-6mm

Big Sky

Did you measure to the plastic fender liner or to the fender itself in the rear? If you measured to the fender itself it looks like my car is lower in the rear but about the same in the front (even with the Noltec plates). Assuming that the 02 fenders openings are the same as on your car. I'm surprised that our cars are the same in the front as mine seems to sit a bit high with the plates in there.

R.I.P. WRX Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by driggity
    Did you measure to the plastic fender liner or to the fender itself in the rear? If you measured to the fender itself it looks like my car is lower in the rear but about the same in the front (even with the Noltec plates). Assuming that the 02 fenders openings are the same as on your car. I'm surprised that our cars are the same in the front as mine seems to sit a bit high with the plates in there.
    Fender itself. Don't know if the wheel arches are the same or not, the ride height specs are the same- 387 +/- 12mm front; 376 +/- 12mm

You know w/ my 02 I never got the increased ride height w/ the Noltecs (maybe a couple of mm's), so I don't know. I know some were keeping the tapered washer and that would add ~ .5".

Big Sky

+/- 12mm? Geez I didn't realize there was such a huge tolerance there. I wonder how big the range on stock cars actually is.

R.I.P. WRX Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah I'd be pissed if my heights were all over the place, 1/2" from side to side is significant- actually could be as much as an inch and still be in "spec".

Big Sky