Project wagon begins! - Page 20
Page 20 of 104 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293070 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Project wagon begins! within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX Tiime to put the "summer" sway bars on- 21mm front/21mm rear Big Sky, I ...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX
    Tiime to put the "summer" sway bars on- 21mm front/21mm rear
    Big Sky,

I think i missed this part when you added a 21mm front STi pink sway bar

NICE!!!!!

How do you like the 21/21mm combo vs. the 20/21mm combo? Any real difference that you could tell?

Also, why the "summer" setup and what will you go back to in the winter?

Thanks,

Lowball
    Open minds, free powder!

XXX Santa Cruz boards for life! XXX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    They had us going left @ 3- they should have a arrow light and keep changing the direction to keep you on your toes .

I like the 21/21 combo- very balanced. It's possible the 20/21 might be a smidge more advantageous w/ autox, but I've run one already and didn't have too much problem w/ rotation. It's very possible the reduced roll up front and the resultant reduction in camber loss outweighs the "normal" increase in understeer you'd expect to see w/ a larger bar up front.

At the track I'm convinced the 21/21 is a better setup over 20/21.

I run 20/20 (oe bars) in the winter. Roads can get a little rough, snow a little deep
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Lowball
    Big Sky,

Also, why the "summer" setup and what will you go back to in the winter?
    hey hey...pick me pick me. I can actually answer this one.

bigger/stiffer sway bars are great for dry roads. Get into the snow and you want soft suspension. That stiff sway bar will make for some very slippery handling on slushy/snowy/icy roads.

Shoot if I lived in the snow I'd run with NO sway bars. That's why those older 4wd suby wagons rip in the snow. no or very small sway bars. Think they had open diffs too though.

anyways..that's why if you are driving in the snow on a very regular basis it's wise to go back down to oem sized bars.

I might do it. Figure on spending about 40 days in the snow next year.

oh and bigsky...thanks for the info on the bar set up. I don't do autoX so I prefer my car set up for track and street/canyon type driving. Sounds like it would be perfect for me. Plus I love the pink bars...gives me another excuse to go pink..haaa.

do you run front endlinks?

it was a PCA event (they hold two 2 day events here - May/Sept)- there were several cars there worth more than my home- GT2, GT3
    talk about expensive. i work in SF. I saw a higly modified GT3 yesterday. I almost broke my damn ankle stepping off the curb.

Gunmetal with black wheels. loud exhaust. Sick as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by OneManArmy
    talk about expensive. i work in SF. I saw a higly modified GT3 yesterday. I almost broke my damn ankle stepping off the curb.

Gunmetal with black wheels. loud exhaust. Sick as hell.
    There was a GT2 and a GT3 at my last track day at Thunderhill...SICK I must say. The guys trailer was as much as his car I think.
    Open minds, free powder!

They had us going left @ 3- they should have a arrow light and keep changing the direction to keep you on your toes .

I like the 21/21 combo- very balanced. It's possible the 20/21 might be a smidge more advantageous w/ autox, but I've run one already and didn't have too much problem w/ rotation. It's very possible the reduced roll up front and the resultant reduction in camber loss outweighs the "normal" increase in understeer you'd expect to see w/ a larger bar up front.

At the track I'm convinced the 21/21 is a better setup over 20/21.

I run 20/20 (oe bars) in the winter. Roads can get a little rough, snow a little deep
    I've felt that the use of a upgraded front bar would be helpful for sure but not many have done it on the wag. Glad to know you've given it a try.

When I got through my suspension upgrades I know that if I did it again from scratch I would upgrade both front and rear bars to one or two sizes larger (21 or 22mm) and then get both front and rear endlinks as well. It think it's a good starting point.

Where do I get the 21mm STi pink fsb?
    Open minds, free powder!

I Support ClubWRX
    Unfortunately the front STi bars are sedan fitment only (at this time anyways). With my GC arm swap I found I needed a longer sway bar (the sedan sway bar is ~ 20mm longer)- thus I can get away w/ the sedan bar.

I'm sure Whiteline makes a 21mm wagon specific front bar and pretty sure Cusco does as well.

21/21 for track days/canyon running would be a good way to go.

I'm running Poltec pillowball links front (and rear)- very impressed w/ their quality thus far. The fronts are height adj which is nice feature- enables you to dial out any preload in the bar.

Mike

Unfortunately the front STi bars are sedan fitment only (at this time anyways). With my GC arm swap I found I needed a longer sway bar (the sedan sway bar is ~ 20mm longer)- thus I can get away w/ the sedan bar.

I'm sure Whiteline makes a 21mm wagon specific front bar and pretty sure Cusco does as well.

21/21 for track days/canyon running would be a good way to go.

I'm running Poltec pillowball links front (and rear)- very impressed w/ their quality thus far. The fronts are height adj which is nice feature- enables you to dial out any preload in the bar.

Mike
    Well that just suck the big one Guess I'll have to get a cusco and get it painted Pink if I want it to match my rear bar.

Mike, can you explain how to dial out the preload in the front bar with the Poltec endlinks? I have them on the front and then the STi T-bone style in the rear. I think my front sway bar shifted a bit during my last track day. Seems like the pillowball allow for some walking...compaired to the whitelines I had before.
    Open minds, free powder!

I Support ClubWRX
    If you have the adj height ones (mine are only adj in the front- the rear are pillowball, but non adj)- undo both ends of the sway (under load- ie ramps)- if after reconnecting one side- you have to pull the other end of the sway bar down to get it to the link- then you have some preload in. What I do is lengthen the first link (that you first connected) slightly and lengthen the other to the same height ( I just count the turns ie half turn). Then repeat. If just right- they should both bolt up w/o any tugging. You shouldn't have to lengthen them very much from my experience.

this is the only 15-page thread that I actually read through page by page. it's interesting how many setup and changes you did to your car, big sky pretty cool.

thanks for sharing, once again. saw some pretty cool tools, too - i've never seen them before. don't know exactly how they work, yet, but i'll soon figure it out

you've got some $ mang! you're only using genuine Subaru, STi, SPT, etc. parts! Car looks really good. love the color scheme you got going.

I Support ClubWRX
    Thought this was interesting. Was over my buddy's bleeding brakes and replacing front pads after the track day- he was doing the same (300Z TT) and noticed his tires. They're Toyo T1S's 245/45/16 mounted on 8" oe rims, I couldn't help but notice my "225" S02's were almost the same width- this is what the S2000 guys have been saying about their oe tire (and I knew they were wide) but this demonstrated it prety well

The S02 is on the left (mounted on a 7.5" rim).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 245vs225so2side.jpg   225vs245s02front.jpg  
    Last edited by Big Sky WRX; 06-01-2005 at 07:17 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Don't let your pads get this thin at a track day- the thin pad heats up a lot more. I should have changed them at the track- I almost did, but decided I had one more session in them- which I did, but would have been way better off changing them out and using the thin pad on the street. Learn from my mistake. Things got so hot that the adhesive on the back of two wheel weights melted and they fell off. I also got some abnormal build up on my rotors. Luckily it came off w/ a die grinder and some different scotch brite discs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wornds2500top.jpg   wornds2500side.jpg   hotspotrotor.jpg  

The S02 is on the right (mounted on a 7.5" rim).
    I don't know what an S02 looks like, but the tire on the right looks like a Toyo T1S to me.

I Support ClubWRX
    woops- left

woops- left
    The S-O2 actually looks wider to me in those pics, but it could just be the angle.