Project wagon begins! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 104 FirstFirst 12345678910111252102 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Project wagon begins! within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally posted by Big Sky WRX Fitment of the 245's are close, but not close enough. With the suspension good ...

Originally posted by Big Sky WRX

Fitment of the 245's are close, but not close enough. With the suspension good and loaded I'd be rubbing. They were actually pretty close w/ the sedan- I think you'd have difficulty fitting larger- unless you just drove them up and down the street or for a show. Too bad - I had really been wanting to run that setup.

Mike
    Didnt want to roll the rear fender? Takes about an hour. A sedan will fit 255 victos back there with no fender modifications.
    Alex

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Not adversed to rolling the fenders, inboard clearance is razor close- close enough I'm not real comfortable. Didn't know 255's would fit that readily- my 245's (every tire will be a little different in width) were pretty close IMO.

Mike

I know tires vary in size thats why I said 255 victo they have been fitting on AS stis without any problem. I have 245 azenis on the car now that are wider then 245 victos probably about the same as the 255s and have enough inboard clearance to not rub anything. Maybe a very small spacer would do the job. What offset are the wheels?
    Alex

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    They're 16X8 et is 45mm, a 3mm spacer might get it- never considered that. Might have to look into that.

Mike

Hmm Im surprized you are to close inward with +45s. Maybe I just have higher tolerances for clearance, if it rolls and doesnt rub anything Im happy with it I havent had any experiance with the wheel deflecting enough to rub the strut, only had issues with outer fender clearance.

Of course theres always the camber plates to add negative camber and then camber bolts to add positive camber to net you some more strut-tire clearance with the same rear camber setting.
    Alex

I've never thought about this before but i wonder if theres a difference in the strut to hub clearance between the wagon and the sedan. Actually, I bet there is because if you compare the mounting "ears" at the bottom of the strut they are longer on the sedan than on the wagon. This means that the sedan strut may be a bit farther inboard than the wagon strut.

Here is a comparison picture of a v7 STi sedan strut and a v7 STi Wagon Strut. The sedan strut is on the left and the wagon strut is on the right.

Big pimpin' in a Legacy GT Wagon

R.I.P. WRX Wagon

Those are pics of the front struts right?
    Alex

Yes, and I believe that I do have a similar picture of the rear struts on my computer at home. If I do I'll try to post it tonight.

R.I.P. WRX Wagon

Originally posted by driggity
    Yes, and I believe that I do have a similar picture of the rear struts on my computer at home. If I do I'll try to post it tonight.
    Not saying it doesnt apply to the rear too, just that pick helps explain why people with wagons and sti suspensions(from a sedan) can barely get more then -2 degrees of front camber with camber plates maxed out.
    Alex

Nice, I really like how that lower arm bar bolts to the frame.
    And I'm surprised the sedan/wagon parts are so incompatible
    Interested to see where this goes....
    Pushin' a Honda but scoping the Scoobies.

It does confuse me on how my stock 02 wagon except for sedan rear struts and springs seemed to handle better then other stock wagons Oh and dont ask how I ended up with that set up.
    Alex

Originally posted by afpdl
    Not saying it doesnt apply to the rear too, just that pick helps explain why people with wagons and sti suspensions(from a sedan) can barely get more then -2 degrees of front camber with camber plates maxed out.
    Yeah, I originally posted that picture on Nasioc to show that very thing. I'm pretty sure the same issue is present in the rear but it might not be as drastic. With the STi sedan suspension on my wagon I had about -.7 degrees of camber in the rear (with no camber bolts/plates etc.).

R.I.P. WRX Wagon

I'm just about ready to start installing my oddball setup, but with Tanabe GF-210 springs on V8 sedan struts...I'm hoping the lowering in combination w/ camber plates will get me right around -2.0 in the front, moreso so I can do it, as I'll probably keep it about -1.5 for now. I'm putting camber bolts in the rear as well, just to gain some control there... I should have some feedback once its installed and aligned in a week or two.

Stil very interested to see what BigSky has in store for a wagon though...might have to copy it.
    4 tires...a motor...a couple doors I think...I'd have to check.

Originally posted by driggity
    [B]I've never thought about this before but i wonder if theres a difference in the strut to hub clearance between the wagon and the sedan. Actually, I bet there is because if you compare the mounting "ears" at the bottom of the strut they are longer on the sedan than on the wagon. This means that the sedan strut may be a bit farther inboard than the wagon strut.

Here is a comparison picture of a v7 STi sedan strut and a v7 STi Wagon Strut. The sedan strut is on the left and the wagon strut is on the right.
    Or, could it mean that the sedan hubs stick out a little further since it has the fender flares?
    Last edited by exDSMr; 06-29-2004 at 06:38 PM.
    2002 WRB WRX

I'm pretty sure that the hub and knuckle/spindle are the same part number on the sedan and the wagon. They're just located further out on the sedan.

R.I.P. WRX Wagon

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.