Project wagon begins! - Page 19
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 104 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282969 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Project wagon begins! within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Mike, you need like a timeline in the early posts of what you've tried and changed and stuff. lol. Now, ...

Mike,

you need like a timeline in the early posts of what you've tried and changed and stuff. lol.

Now, you're running noltec (street/race?) camber/casters (street/race?), right?? how does the ride/ride height compare to the group Ns? I'm debating throwing some in....I didn't get a whole lot of camber out of one front of mine, have to diagnose the cause of that and maybe add some camber/caster for kicks.

-wYlie

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'd have to reread the entire thread to figure out what I've tried/swapped thus far

The Noltec plates add ~ 10mm of ride height- I'm basing this on the current ride heights w/ the pink wagon springs. I have not tried a back to back w/ the same springs (too much hassle for the interest of science ). I arrive at this "guesstimate" by noting I'm ~ 5mm lower up front than oe ~ 380mm, the rear is ~ 360mm which is a 15mm drop over oe. The "advertised" drop of the wagon pinks is 15mm, which I got in the rear- which I'm guessing I would have got up front w/ "regular" tops.

The roughly extra degree of camber and degree and a half of caster is a very notable increase in handling. I've noticed no difference in NVH vs the Gr N tops (this is my same experience w/ my 02 as well).

Big Sky
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

I Support ClubWRX

Trailing link bushings installed

Finally got my Group N trailing link bushings installed

front bushing being pressed in

pics of the rear bsuhing being pressed out and the new one in- fancy new "v2" bushing tool made by Moondongle from Nasioc. My old "v1" tool was rather crude, this one has bearings and all kinds of bells and whistles
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails reartrailingpressout.jpg  

Mike,

thanks again for your vast knowledge and willingness to share said information. You are an asset to the suby community.

-wylie

how do you like the bushings? noticeable difference?

your wagon is so hot....i want ur rims.

I Support ClubWRX
    wylie- no problem I know many guys won't go this far (some will go even farther ), but it's nice to see what can be done (and not by shop, just a shade tree mechanic).

The bushings are nice addition (I had them on my 02 sedan as well)- they help reduce toe/camber changes (as do the lateral links). This equates to the car feeling more planted and providing more grip. I also find under hard braking there is less squirm.

What I really appreciate w/ all of the Group N bushings is that under daily driving there is no discernable difference (ie no increase NVH) start pushing the car and then the differences can be felt.

I'm diggin' my new rims, but my "boss" isn't- said there too "industrial" looking

any new developments, I saw you had some stuff up on private for sale.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm trying to get my 2 pots in this week- I bought a spare set of rear knuckles/hubs so I could just bring them and and get the rear backing plates off and the new ones pressed in (w/ wheel bearings/seals). Yesterday pressed in Grp N bushings into the "new" knuckles- shouldn't have pressed a set in the "old" knuckles- oh well someone will get a nice upgrade when I sell the rear brakes/knuckles

I've got a two day track day this weekend- so I'm cutting things short- don't know if I'll get them in on time.

Mike

I Support ClubWRX
    You can read about about my two pot woes here :

How's this for bad luck?

I did make it to the event (missed the morning, but still got three sessions in on Saturday). The car is handling superbly- very neutral w/ just a hint of understeer. I can easily rotate if need w/ a little trail braking or a good throttle lift. The addition of the trailing link buishings is very evident (my buddy commented on the same thing- I replaced his at the same time I did mine)- the car feels better planted and predictable in the rear.

The S02's are holding up better than expected (given they are 140 treadwear). They don't get greasy at all, communicative at threshold and grip and sidewall stifness is very good.

Braking was adequate, but could be better. This track has three rather punishing braking zones (w/ several other less punishing ones)- one is following a ~ 130 mph straight and two w/ 90-95mph straights. I think the bigger rotors in the rear would help share the load. The fronts are getting a "good" workout. I didn't run the DS3000's as I felt that would shift even more bias forward and instead ran my DS2500's w/ oe pads in the rear. I can't say enough about the DS2500's- while not the ultimate track pad (I think the 3000 would be much closer)- these pads did perform pretty damn good. After the 2nd session of the second day- I eyeballed my pads and they looked just about shot (these are pads that I ran at the tail end of last year- two track days and 3-4 autox's). I jacked up the car to replace them and pulled one out and decided I could eek out another session (always check your brake fluid between sessions- as your pads wear your fluid level will drop). Well that third session was a rather spirited session-(everybody by this time is getting close to the top of their game), pads help up great! They will be replaced this evening (as well as a thorough bleeding).

I do think my brake duct setup is helping

Had one budy w/ bare bone stock sedan (complete w/ RE92's)- he actually did pretty damn good! His brakes (fluid/pads) were holding him back though- he could only get about 6-7 laps in (2.5 mile track) before he'd have to pit. I'm pretty sure he'll be shod w/ better tires/fluid/pads next event .

I'm going to have to purchase a new knuckle (and a new bearing/seals) to get my two pots on- hopefully no more suprises.

Big Sky

Sounds like fun times at the track. Too bad to hear about your 2-pot problems
    Big pimpin' in a Legacy GT Wagon

R.I.P. WRX Wagon

You still running the same sway bar set up?

I picked up a sedan RSB and dug it but when I put the spec C suspension on I found that the sway bar feels to small.

I'm planning to upgrade front and rear. Thinking 21mm up front and adjustable in the back. probably go on the middle setting...24mm.

I think another problem is I pussed out and my camber is to neutral. I've got -.6 in the back and -1 in the front.

Thinking I'll bump it up to -1.6 or so in the front and leave the back the way it is. I have MRT camber plates up front.

I love this thread as guys like you and Lance are a umm....few step ahead of me so you guys test and learn and I apply it..haaaaa.

Been a help so far....thanks.

Those brake ducts are one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

what track were you running???
    Open minds, free powder!

XXX Santa Cruz boards for life! XXX

I Support ClubWRX
    sway bars are 21mm front/rear- the setup is near perfect for me. Probably a little better track setup vs autox- where a little larger rear bar can come in handy at times

it was a PCA event (they hold two 2 day events here - May/Sept)- there were several cars there worth more than my home- GT2, GT3

which way do you go at turn 3?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.