Project wagon begins! - Page 17
Page 17 of 104 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262767 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Project wagon begins! within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The ALK is a pretty good bang for the buck item. Does two things- first it provides a firmer bushing, ...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The ALK is a pretty good bang for the buck item. Does two things- first it provides a firmer bushing, less deflection = less camber/toe change, second it provides ~ a 0.5 degree increase in positive caster- increased positive caster increase dynamic neg camber= good
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX
    The ALK is a pretty good bang for the buck item. Does two things- first it provides a firmer bushing, less deflection = less camber/toe change, second it provides ~ a 0.5 degree increase in positive caster- increased positive caster increase dynamic neg camber= good
    Yeah I kinda wish I would have gotten some of the Perrins before I purchased and installed the STi gN bushings on mine. Back then I didn't know about caster and how it helps reduce understeer, now I do but it's to late! I got an alignment and don't plan on getting another anytime soon

Guess there is always next year.
    Open minds, free powder!

XXX Santa Cruz boards for life! XXX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowball
    Yeah I kinda wish I would have gotten some of the Perrins before I purchased and installed the STi gN bushings on mine. Back then I didn't know about caster and how it helps reduce understeer, now I do but it's to late! I got an alignment and don't plan on getting another anytime soon

Guess there is always next year.
    Your guy's next year starts so early- we haven't even started our new year yet

As always I'm following this thread closely, Iíve got a 04 PSM wagon, with a sedan rear bar on it. What are your thoughts on the whiteline group 4 coilovers. They are mighty appealing. I'm gonna use mine as autox/mtn road carver with the occasional ski trip fully loaded.

The last ski trip I was wishing for a praxis air system, the extra 1300 pounds in the back dropped the stock rear suspension. Self leveling would have been a great benefit, esp with the piles of snow.

I Support ClubWRX
    The oe springs in the rear are pretty soft ~ 135 ft lbs, doesn't take a lot to compress them.

The Group 4's look like a pretty nice offering. They are not wagon specific, so camber is going to be limited up front to -1.4ish- which may be plenty for a lot of folks.

I know Arnie over at nasioc (and occasionally here ) has a set on his wagon and very much likes them.

The Group 4's are a little more "americanized" in that they sport a little less spring rate than most of their Japanese counterparts. I think their ride height reccomendations are a little more in line in what works for "american" roads as well.

Jamie (Subie Gal) has a set as well- there on her GC8 I beleive and thus far she has pretty high praise for them as well.

Big Sky

They're 16X8 et is 45mm, a 3mm spacer might get it- never considered that. Might have to look into that.

Mike
    Okay, one more question: what advantage do the 16's provide over 17's for autocrossing? I recall reading you get a gearing advantage. I'm sort of looking at the Motegi FF6, which is 16x7 (and a Volk TE37 knockoff), which saves money, but good looking 17 inch wheels are a little easier to find and do look a tad better.
    (OK) (HATW)

I Support ClubWRX
    The "normal" advantages enjoyd by 16" vs 17" is weight (unsprung weight)- ofcourse one can buy a really heavy 16" rim and/or buyt a really light 17" rim- thus negating that advantage. Generally speaking your 16" rims will be lighter- you need to research that for your wheels.

The other advantage is rotational weight- the 17" wheel locates the weight (tire) further out- which takes more energy to rotate it. You can potentially lose accelaration this way. .

The "gearing" advantage is all in the tires- you can get this w/ 16 or 17"- simply run a slighly shorter than oe diameter (which is ~ 24.9").

The one disadvantage of the 16" wheel that has started to creep in the last couple of years is tire selection- for whatever reason some tire manufacturers are neglecting the 16" offerings. There are still very good tires to choose from, but there are more from the 17" side.

Big Sky

thanks for the insight on the group4s. I had no idea that the wagon springs were so light weight. I was tucking the rear tires for the majority of my trip. As far as 16 inch rims go, isnt there more tire defection because of the increased size of the sidewall, therefor not giving you as crisp turn-in vs say 17s or 18s?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by socrates42
    As far as 16 inch rims go, isnt there more tire defection because of the increased size of the sidewall, therefor not giving you as crisp turn-in vs say 17s or 18s?
    Techincially yes, in a practical sense very little. Tire construction has made some very big strides and generally speaking their is very little difference in performance from a like speed rated tire going +1 or +2 sizing. The "real" reason for bigger wheels still is the need for bigger brakes. Or as pointed out above the recent abandonment by some manufacturers on their 16" sizing.

I Support ClubWRX

Oh Joy!

Oh joy Oh joy

Finally the boat has arrived Weight- 11.7 lbs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails unmounted.jpg   label.jpg  
    Last edited by Big Sky WRX; 04-15-2005 at 06:51 AM.

Very nice. Only about 3 more months until winter is over and you can use them, right

Hopefully my wheels and tires will show up soon.
    Big pimpin' in a Legacy GT Wagon

R.I.P. WRX Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Winter has been long enough -we actually have our first event this weekend

What wheels/tires are you going w/ ?

Oh joy Oh joy

Finally the boat has arrived
    Nice. But am I reading the MAN DATE correct ? November of 2003 ?

THAT is a slow boat from the Orient.

Clavo
    What's the square root of 69 ?.........8 something

I Support ClubWRX
    Must be nice to have that kind of stock on hand - not in the US ever though

I also wonder if it's a trend of 16" wheels being out of vouge?

I Support ClubWRX

"summer" sway bars on

Tiime to put the "summer" sway bars on- 21mm front/21mm rear
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pinkfr.jpg