Project wagon begins! - Page 16
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 104 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252666 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Project wagon begins! within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The "secret weapons" arrived today Bridgestone S02's- these are not the discontinued S02PP's, but rather the rear oem fitment for ...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

Secret Weapon :)

The "secret weapons" arrived today Bridgestone S02's- these are not the discontinued S02PP's, but rather the rear oem fitment for the Honda S2000 225/50/16's- completely different compound (lower tread wear for one-and extra sticky).

These things are wide! The Honda guys say much closer to 245 than 225- after seeing them in person I'd have to agree. Fender rolling time. The sidewalls feel very stiff (close to R compound Victoracer stiff ), they are not light- I weighed one at 25.7 lbs- considering the width and stiffness I'll take it.

My rims I asume are now on the long, long boat ride, hopefully getting close. Ofcourse winter has to come to end too
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails s02s.jpg  
    Last edited by Big Sky WRX; 03-15-2005 at 06:34 PM.
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Come in 17 inch sizes

Tires look awesome, big contact patch. Where'd you get them and do they come in 225/45/17s?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX
    The "secret weapons" arrived today Bridgestone S02's- these are not the discontinued S02PP's, but rather the rear oem fitment for the Honda S2000 225/50/16's- completely different compound (lower tread wear for one-and extra sticky).

These things are wide! The Honda guys say much closer to 245 than 225- after seeing them in person I'd have to agree. Fender rolling time. The sidewalls feel very stiff (close to R compound Victoracer stiff ), they are not light- I weighed one at 25.7 lbs- considering the width and stiffness I'll take it.

My rims I asume are now on the long, long boat ride, hopefully getting close. Ofcourse winter has to come to end too
    If those were supposed to be a secret weapon I'll have to remember to never let you in on a secret. How many threads did you start about these things? They sure should be nice though. Until you get the wheels you can just roll the tires around the house and go "vrooom vrooom".
    Big pimpin' in a Legacy GT Wagon

R.I.P. WRX Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    triguy- they jump from 16->18" (Porsche fitments- and do they have some wide one for the Porsches!)

driggity- never was good at keeping a secret (hence the parantheses) How did you know what I was doing last night?

I Support ClubWRX
    Have to make room for the big meats

First off the rubber strips go and then it's fender rolling time- the tool has three adjustments- the angle of the derlin head (the roller) the length of the arm and the tension applied to the roller. I used a heat gun (on low) throughout. It was kind of a pain- I could do it quicker now (ofcourse ). I went exra slow and careful- didn't want any cracked paint.

Takes lots of adjusting, but after three hours I got the desired result- the upper lip is now tucked under the wheel arch.

BTW this thing is available for rent- icludes heat gun too- it's $50 (get it for five days) + shipping both ways ~ $25- also have to give a $300 deposit which you get back when they get the tool back. If you had two or three (or more)guys it would be really cheap- shops are charging $150-200 for two fnders!

http://rollyourfender.com/ he's a wrx guy active on nasioc

I'll try and snap a pic tomorow of the lip rolled- was too tired and my back hurt when I was done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rubberstrip.jpg   roller1.jpg   roller2.jpg  

hey that's a cool little device...I never knew how fenders got rolled...and you didn't even need a repaint. Sweet.
    Do you have a before pic of the fender at a similar angle to pic #3?
    Pushin' a Honda but scoping the Scoobies.

I Support ClubWRX
    pic 3 is the before- essentially it just take the lip- shaped like a L and then slowly folds it back so it looks like a ll

If you go slow and keep the heat to it no worrry about paint

Sweet wagon

Hello, I've been admiring what you've been doing with your wagon for awhile. I just got myself a 2005 version in blue. It'll be a commuter/road trip/autocross car. I want to prep it for STX eventually, so needless to say, I'll probably have a lot of questions for you :- ).

Come to think of it, I've got one already. Why did you go with springs and struts over a full coilover setup?

I Support ClubWRX
    congrats on your purchase- good choice- you'll be very satisfied

I've ran full coilovers before and while I do miss the damping adjustability on occasion, once a find a desired ride height I stick w/ it- I'd run a very similar ride height as I am running now if I was on coilovers.

The strut/spring combo is simple and proven, I'm using oem bits for the most part so reliability and comfort enter into it as well. It's my wife's daily driver and that enters into very much

Also as I use mine for such varied activities as rallyx- to track days, the strut/spring combo I'm running gives me pretty good versatility. Most full coilovers are geared to a certain niche (which makes perfect sense), but becuase of that they lose some versatility- if that is a requirement.

Obvioulsy there are better choices out there for a strictly gravel/rallyx setup or a track dedicated car, but most don't cross over too well.

Price enters into it as well, if I go back to coilovers there is a good chance I'll go in w/ both feet- double adjustable, remote reservoirs, etc- that gets pretty spendy in a hurry

Big Sky

Hey Big,

I'm ready to plop down for an intercooler, do I want a USDM STi or JDM? Does it make a big difference? Are they both drop in or does the 04+ STi USDM require modification to the mounting brackets (I know I need to swap air splitters)

Thanks,

Chad

PS Wheels and Tires in about a week...
    Saab 9-2x Black; EcuTek Tuned, Maddad TBE, STi muffler, KB Shifter&Bushings,STi Suspension,Silencer Delete, K&N, SSR Comps w/ BFG KDW's, JDM STi Intercooler, Noltec Alignment Plates, 20MM RSB, blah, blah, blah

JDM STi is the one that's bigger and fits the stock brackets. The AC lines are a little close and need to be repositioned. i'm now sporting a jdm...

-wYlie

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX
    ................................. if I go back to coilovers there is a good chance I'll go in w/ both feet- double adjustable, remote reservoirs, etc- that gets pretty spendy in a hurry

Big Sky

TAP TAP FIRST DIBS on any wagon suspension that you are getting rid of
    What's the square root of 69 ?.........8 something

Sky-

What 21mm FSB are you using? I've been looking around and can't find much....and endlinks? What is your recommendation?
    '04 PSM Wagon. Silver Wagon Club? What is that? Am i in it?

I Support ClubWRX
    The jdm (v7's- as the newer v8 ones will have the same issues as the usdm ones due to fly- by- throtle) is the one that bolts right in and as Wylie points out is bigger as well. They are hard to find though (and usually more doe as well). There is a fellow on the board that is fabbing brackets for installing the usdm one (when he has time)- does a really good job too

The 21mm bar I'm running is the new STi pink one- it's a sedan bar and wouldn't normally fit the wagon, but as I'm running the GC aluminum front arms I've found the sedan bar fits better than the wagon ones.

I do believe Whiteline makes a wagon specific forn bar and it's possible Cusco's GC turbo ones would fit as well (not 100% sure on that).

Big Sky

Yeah, i saw the whiteline. Its a 22mm..subaruwrxparts has them for $125 which seems pretty cheap. Maybe i'll give that one a shot.

Another question...can someone expand on the benefits of an anti-lift kit? I'm looking for bang-for-buck breakdowns on suspension upgrades.

You guys are a big help. Thanks.
    '04 PSM Wagon. Silver Wagon Club? What is that? Am i in it?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.