Project wagon begins! - Page 15
Page 15 of 104 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242565 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Project wagon begins! within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Got my brake ducts in today, full details in tutorial here: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=90383 I run STi fog covers and have removed ...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Got my brake ducts in today, full details in tutorial here:

04+ brake duct setup

I run STi fog covers and have removed my lamps

for track days, the ducting is in place all I have to do is hook it up to my oe surrounds

snap in place and voila

I've also retrofitted (ealier in thread) the 02 oe duct flap as well

Big Sky

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

bit of trivia

comparo of Grp N tops- not a lot of difference to the eye- the paint dob is the key- purple is a oem rear top (v7 or v8) yellow is the Grp N.

The front is also purple on the oem top- the Grp N one is green.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails grpnvsoerearv8top.jpg  
    Last edited by Big Sky WRX; 01-23-2005 at 08:43 AM.
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

I Support ClubWRX
    A little ahead of schedule (a couple of months ), but I found a buyer for my wagon suspension and he needed it right away (he has a blown strut) so these will will be going in this weekend

GG? v8 struts (revision D I believe)- most likely off a JDM special edition WRX wagon or "sports package"- they're wagon specific, inverted, 39mm piston, made by KYB- same as any other STi strut.

I've got the new STi wagon springs on them w/ Grp N rear tops and Noltec caster/camber plates up front.

Have an alignment appointment Monday afternoon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gg?stutspinksprngs.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    New struts/springs/tops in Ride height is right at oe in the front @ left front 385mm/right 388- oe is 387- this is right where my v7 setup was. The new pinks are supposed to lower 10-15mm, my guess is the Noltec plates take up that difference- they probably will settle a little more as well- I'll give it a month or so and check again.

The rears are @ 368mm left/right this is very close to the v7 setup as well- this is ~ 10mm lower than oe height which is 376mm- again there may be a few more mm's of settling.

Comparo pics of v7 vs v8
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stiv7vsv8front.jpg   stiv7vsv8rear.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    Got my alignment done today (not yesterday- a little mix up)

front camber -2.1/-2.2
    rear camber -1.4/-1.5
    front toe 0.00/0.00 this guy does good work!
    rear toe 0.01/0.00
    caster 5.0/5.1

I've gained ~ .7 degrees in neg camber up front and ~ the same in the rear (no camber bolts back there now).

I've gained ~ 1.5 degrees of caster

Toe I've gone to a 0 setting, previously I was running 1mm/out f/r. I liked the slight toe out for autox, but feel 0 toe will benefit me the most for high speed stability.

I monkeyed w/ the car a little (still on winter tires) this afternoon- the pink springs are nice, firmer than the oe STi springs, but not overly firm. The extra caster/camber up front is very evident when you start pushing it in corners. In just three months winter should be over and the hi pos come out

Big Sky

Those pink springs are pimp daddy...

Anywho, I thought about going with a setup like that for STX. In the end I decided to go with something more extreme like Teins or JIC. I rode in a WRX with Tein Flex with 8K/10K springs on stock wheels and tires, and it didn't ride that bad for such high rates. I'll probably do that, then switch to my race wheels tires the night before.

Just so you know: Arizona = AutoX all winter along. In fact, you can run three times a month and not even leave the state!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDestructo
    Just so you know: Arizona = AutoX all winter along. In fact, you can run three times a month and not even leave the state!
    Sure rub it in

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX
    Sure rub it in
    Well, I forgot to mention that it is a different story in the summer time. 100 degrees by 10AM SUCKS.

Good luck! Let us know how she handles!!!

Edit: Actually, would you mind commenting on something that I posted on NASIOC. Take a look and see what you think. You can PM me with any thoughts. I'm getting nowhere on this...http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=703021

Thanks!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    posted up on your thread

As I've frequently preached I started w/ tires- Pirelli P Zero Nero's (the hi-po's, not the M&S's) 225/50/16 wrapped around Volk TE37's 16X7 (11.1 lbs! ).
    did you ever have rubbing issues with these?? strut....fender?? and they were +46 offset?? I'm shopping around for summers.....now.....itch.

THanks Mike,
    -wYlie

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Roamin'Coyote
    did you ever have rubbing issues with these?? strut....fender?? and they were +46 offset?? I'm shopping around for summers.....now.....itch.

THanks Mike,
    -wYlie
    Wylie

46 et is correct. I only rubbed one time- I'll explain I was at a two day track event and we were going to get some supper- had my wife up front and two 200lb-ish buddies in the back seat, in the trunk I had my floor jack, jack stands, air tank, rhino ramps, extra fluids/parts, pretty complete set of tools, folding chairs, cooler and some stuff I'm probably forgetting- but when I'd go up (or down) a parking lot approach or the like- I'd get the zzzzzzzp of the tire rubbing in the rear. I don't routinely have that much weight in my wagon and I've never had any other rubbing issues.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX
    It's the FHI two pot rear setup, aluminum calipers, rotors are 290X18 vented. It's what the rest of the world gets oem on their WRX's (including the four pot fronts)
    Mike,

I didn't know they were vented....hummmm......about the same diameter rotor as the H6 upgrade....so it's just fade resistance, right? I guess they might clamp a little different from the sliding calipers. OH and having the bling of matching front rear SUBARU brakes. I might have to look into this - BLING!

How do they attach? mount up to the factory brackets then the caliper is built with it's own 'big bracket'??

thanks for any info AGAIN,
    -wYlie

I Support ClubWRX
    A little more mass and vented w/ the rotor- diameter is the same (290mm). Rear calipers same advantages as the front four pots- opposed pistons, a little stiffer caliper design, lighter (the two pots are aluminum) BUT when it's all said and done- a little bling to match the fronts (plus I got a very good deal on a set that were never installed)

The attachment is the biggest drawback IMO- the two pots take a different backing plate, the backing plate is pressed in w/ the hub- so it the old backing palte has to be pressed out, the new in- this calls for new bearings/seals/C-clip.

Big Sky

So why no STI pink trailing arms and lateral links?

I'm going over what I'd like to do to my '03 wagon suspension this summer. I'm looking at the doing the Group N bushings but saw those sexy STI pink arms and figured I'd check this thread for info 'cuz Big Sky would have 'em for sure.

So were the GpN bushings for the arms and link enough? Didn't need the pillowballs?

Thanks,
    B

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart
    So why no STI pink trailing arms and lateral links?

I'm going over what I'd like to do to my '03 wagon suspension this summer. I'm looking at the doing the Group N bushings but saw those sexy STI pink arms and figured I'd check this thread for info 'cuz Big Sky would have 'em for sure.

So were the GpN bushings for the arms and link enough? Didn't need the pillowballs?

Thanks,
    B
    Oh yes I've thought about them- more than once I've actually got a private wanted thread for the four piece set- kind of rare so not likley.

SPT (SOA) doesn't carry the wagon variety four or six piece set- so my 30% off sale wait is for naught on these.

I'm guessing the Grp N's come pretty close, no doubt the pillowball are even better.

I do have the "sexy" aluminum front lateral links though

Big Sky
    Last edited by Big Sky WRX; 03-15-2005 at 05:36 PM.