Project wagon begins! - Page 14
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 104 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Project wagon begins! within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Weighed the rear headrests- 1.5 lbs/each. 4.5 lbs for 30 secs of "work", not bad....

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Weighed the rear headrests- 1.5 lbs/each. 4.5 lbs for 30 secs of "work", not bad.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

15 lbs off of the nose

Finally got around (damn work!) to getting the jdm bumper beam on- oem 27.5 lbs, jdm 12.2

Oh yeah cleared my headlights too

Big Sky
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jdmbumperbeam.jpg  

Just that white thing? Looks like styrafoam.

Yup, its styrofoam.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AjIsDope
    Just that white thing? Looks like styrafoam.
    That's the "energy absorber" your oem beam has a similar peice as well- the beam sits behind this.

Big Sky

I Support ClubWRX
    Here'a pic of one on my old 02 w/o the foam piece- looks similar to the 04 one

Hey Big Sky, Awesome thread!

You are just the man I need to talk to...

I have a 9-2x Aero and I've been throwing plenty of subbie bits on it...

I picked up a set off STi struts/shocks/top hats from ebay I'm trying to figure out what I need to make them work. I thought I just needed different rear top hats for the wagon, but after reading your thread I get the feeling it might not be so simple.

Can you help me out?

Thanks,

Chad

If you have the entire strut/spring/tophat assembly from an STi it should bolt up with no problems. Subaru changed the tophats themselves but the part of the tophat that bolts to the car is the same. The tophats that you need are dependent on the type of spring and strut that you use but don't differ from wagon to sedan. The biggest issue you will have to cope with is that you'll have less negative camber (assuming that the suspension you got is off an STi sedan).
    Big pimpin' in a Legacy GT Wagon

R.I.P. WRX Wagon

That sounds encouraging, what I have is complete assemblies unbolted from an 04 STi.

I think assumed there was some difference in the tophat design because the wagons and sedans have different rear strut bars...what's the real reason for that?

How much negative camber difference is there? Is it the kind of thing that could be corrected with top camber bolts on the hubs?

Also I know in some applications lowering the car about an inch will add about a degree of negative camber, is that taken into account when you say there won't be enough?

Thanks for all your help,

Chad

Some companies sell wagon and sedan versions of rear strut bars but thats not because the sedan ones won't fit. For example many people have used the Cusco bars on both sedans and wagons. The different designs seem to have more to do with the way the bar mounts to the plates.

When I had a sedan STi setup (from a JDM STi but the numbers should be similar to what you see) on my wagon I was able to get about -.4 degrees in camber in the front and -.7 in the rear. If you want more negative camber you can add a second set of camber bolts in the front or use camber (or caster/camber) plates. I ran the Noltec caster camber plates and had about -1.3 degrees of camber in front and 5 degrees of caster. With wagon specific struts you'd have ~.8 degrees more negative camber front and rear. The STi suspension probably won't lower your car enough to gain much negative camber in that way.

R.I.P. WRX Wagon

Cool, so a one step back question...what kind of stock (in any) camber adjustments does the subbie have? The only strut type suspension I'm familair with is the saab 9000, which has no adjustability other than toe, but you can get aftermarket camber bolts for it. Also what's stock camber on wrx?

Thanks,

Chad

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad W
    Cool, so a one step back question...what kind of stock (in any) camber adjustments does the subbie have? The only strut type suspension I'm familair with is the saab 9000, which has no adjustability other than toe, but you can get aftermarket camber bolts for it. Also what's stock camber on wrx?

Thanks,

Chad
    Chad- your 92 will have ~ 1.1ish degrees of camber adjustment (front only- top bolt on your front struts)- the stock camber setting is a paltry -0.25, w/ wagon struts you can get close to -1.4ish.

Lowering springs do offer a little more neg camber, but it isn't much- from what I've seen maybe a tenth or two for an inch of lowering.

If your going w/ the sedan struts- I'd highly reccomend the Noltec front tops- it's good setup, but you want additional neg camber that won't exist w/ just the oem eccentric bolts.

Some folks have run two sets of camber bolts in front for additional camber- the oem one up top and an aftermarket below- I'm a little leary of putting the smaller (12mm) bolt there in lieu of the oem one (14mm IIRC)- maybe it would be fine, but makes me a little leary.

Mike

There are camber bolts in the upper strut to hub mounting location in the front of the car. #26 in the picture below. The only camber adjustability in the rear is what you can get by pushing, pulling, and wiggling things around. A good alignment guy will be able to get you close to 0 cross-camber in the rear by doing this, but you won't have a big adjustment range. There are a number of companies that sell camber bolts that you can use in the rear. The H&R ones look to be the highest quality of the ones that I've seen and the Eibach's from Tirerack may be the cheapest. Toe is adjustable at all 4 corners. Caster is not adjustable from the factory. Stock camber can be anywhere in a big range and the alignment that the car has when you get it from the dealer is usually crap. In spec, but crap none the less. I've got the service manuals with the numbers but they're at home. Someone should add that to one of the stickies at the top of the forum.

R.I.P. WRX Wagon

Awesome Info! You guys Rock!

So would it be safe to toss the struts and adjust the front bolts to maximum negative camber and drive around like this until I can find a decent shop and get it done proper? I know it won't be ideal until it's done, but will it be harmful until that time?

PS Anybody know any good performance subbie shops that have alignment equipment in the NY, CT or MA area?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by driggity
    . Alinment specs- Someone should add that to one of the stickies at the top of the forum.
    done

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.