Project wagon begins! - Page 13
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Project wagon begins! within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by coolblue04 What rear brake setup is that? Looks pretty good. It's the FHI two pot rear setup, ...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by coolblue04
    What rear brake setup is that? Looks pretty good.
    It's the FHI two pot rear setup, aluminum calipers, rotors are 290X18 vented. It's what the rest of the world gets oem on their WRX's (including the four pot fronts)

Me likey my RS wheels, ofcourse I know you used the $ from selling those to buy your brake kit

Big Sky

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

*subscribed * and glued to my computer chair.
    05' WRB STI
    MODS

Go raibh tú leathuair ar Neamh
    sula bhfuil a fhios ag an diabhal go bhfuil tú marbh

May you be a half-hour in Heaven before the devil knows that you're dead.

Quote Originally Posted by WRXTwiztid
    *subscribed * and glued to my computer chair.
    I'm living vicariously through Big Sky....
    Pushin' a Honda but scoping the Scoobies.

this thread is a great read
    awesome car big sky

Quote Originally Posted by scottigee
    I'm living vicariously through Big Sky....
    Join the club, my wish list for santa is getting pretty long.

Hey Mike,
    In regards to the control arms, are they the GC8 JDM STi control arms? I found exactly that for $275 bucks. I wanted to check to see if these are the right ones and what exacly I have to do to get them in, if they are.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ipozestu
    Hey Mike,
    In regards to the control arms, are they the GC8 JDM STi control arms? I found exactly that for $275 bucks. I wanted to check to see if these are the right ones and what exacly I have to do to get them in, if they are.
    Yup those are the ones . That's a great buy! I've got a detailed thread in the tutorial section on the install. The front bushing is shorter on the GC vs the wagon- so you have to put a washer on each end, the rear, ball joint bolt right up. You'll pillowball style links up front- either sedan oem ones or Poltecs (might be others as well)- I also found that the sedan sway bar puts the links at a better angle, there other guys running the wagon front bar w/ no issues however (they are running the heavier dyty links though).

Again great buy!

Mike

I Support ClubWRX

time to put the old girl on a diet

Losing weight w/ your car yields many benefits- it accelerates quicker, it stops quicker, it puts less heat into your brakes, it effectively increases your spring rates and if it it's unsprung weight- it will help your suspension work more efficiently ie keep the rubber to the road.

The stock weight of the WRX wagon is 3165 lbs- this is with fluids full & spare.

I've added a few things to my car- front strut brace (titanium ) ~ 2lbs, rear strut brace (aluminum) ~ 3 lbs, lower arm bar ~ 2 lbs; I've added aero mud guards ~ 2 lbs, my rear rotors are larger ~ 4 lbs, interior a boost/egt gauge ~ 1lb, shifter trim and aluminum dead pedal ~ 1 lb, that adds up to ~ 15 lbs which makes 3180

The easiest weight to shed is gasoline- gas weighs ~ 6 lbs/ gal, at the track I run w/ a half tank so I save ~ 48 lbs, autox I run w/ 1/4 tank the savings are in the 72 lb range.

The next place to look for easy weight is in the hatch- the spare tire, jack, tool, spare lid save - 35 lbs

other savings (~62 lbs)

Floor mats ~ 5lbs
    Roof rails are gone ~ 8 lbs
    JDM bumper beam ~ 15 lbs
    Odyssey batery ~ 15 lbs
    uppipe, downpipe, muffler ~ 15 lbs
    fog lamps ~ 4lbs

Unsprung weight savings (~40 lbs)

Volk TE's ~ 20 lbs
    Ray's lug nuts ~ 1 lb
    FHI four pots ~ 4 lbs
    DBA 500 rotors ~ 3 lbs
    aluminum control arms ~ 4 lbs
    aluminum lateral links (f) ~ 2 lbs
    FHI two pots ~ 6 lbs

At the track I should be ~ 2995 (185 lbs savings) , autox ~ 2971 (209 lbs savings)

Thanksgiving and Christmas coming ~ + 10 lbs

Big Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX
    Losing weight w/ your car yields many benefits-..........

.................Thanksgiving and Christmas coming ~ + 10 lbs

Big Sky

But you forgot the important one. Drop the kids off at the pool before your run.

Great info.

Clavo.
    What's the square root of 69 ?.........8 something

yeah seriously! Is it worth it?
    Make sure you shave your head and crank your wang before you run!

Windshield washer fluid is a good opportunity to shed weight
    Pushin' a Honda but scoping the Scoobies.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by scottigee
    yeah seriously! Is it worth it?
    Ahh- yes

Big Sky,

Have you seen the new brace by GT Spec that replaces the factory underbody " U " brace ? I think it sheds antoher 12 pounds from the front. It's in the vendors section on NABISCO. Its pricey but I'd like your opinion on it.

Clavo.
    What's the square root of 69 ?.........8 something

I Support ClubWRX
    I've seen it- several others as well- the jdm market has quite a few to choose from. It looks like it does a good job of bracing, also some cross bracing as well. IIRC it also lets you reuse the factory plastic undertray (important for aero concerns).

Like you said, the price makes it tough, but it looks like a nice piece.

I've got a multi page thread over on nasioc on subframes- pretty good discussion, the verdict is still out on performance issues w/o the frame. I'm thinking about running some "tests" at a track day next year- session w/ the subframe, seesion w/o and another w/.

Big Sky

Lighten up

I also take out the head rests excluding the drivers seat during track sessions. I removed the cruise control - never use it. Removed the wear wiper assembly - don't need it, it never rains or snows in San Diego. Some folks remove the tow hook in the rear, mud/rain cover under the engine, sound/fire proofing mat under the hood. Scooby Mods has a post about removing a useless metal pan tucked under the storage compartment of the center console.

I Support ClubWRX
    Never thought about the head rests (don't have any up front- 04 ), but do have 3 in the rear though.

I've seen the metal "liner" on the center storage console when I had it out to install my short shifter, looks like it would be a couple of lbs. There are two other metal inserts- one of the driver's side (under the steering column), the other in the passenger side glove box. I took these out in my 02, but at only ~ 1 lb each, probably not worth the effort. I think they serve as knee "braces" in a accident.

The plastic undertray plays a pretty important aero roll, would be fine to remove for autox, worth keeping for track IMO.

It all adds up- some guys have very significantly lightened up their cars, but at the obvious expense of comfort ie AC, noise- all sound deadening, etc. If this wasn't my wife's daily driver I'd probably be shedding significantly more .

Big Sky

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.