Project wagon begins! - Page 11
Page 11 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Project wagon begins! within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by ipozestu I have enjoyed your wagon log. I have many of the same goals for my '05. ...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ipozestu
    I have enjoyed your wagon log. I have many of the same goals for my '05. I think I'll be starting a work log as well. Where did you pick up the poltech's I've searched for them but I can't seem to track them down.
    Kind of fun keeping track of what a guy is doing to his car. Poltec can be found here:

http://www.poltec.us/

Brakes up next

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Any ideas why the front link snapped? Excessive pre-load? Did you set up the Poltecs to be the same length? And any reason you went with the non-adjustable endlinks in the rear?
    Big pimpin' in a Legacy GT Wagon

R.I.P. WRX Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by driggity
    Any ideas why the front link snapped? Excessive pre-load? Did you set up the Poltecs to be the same length? And any reason you went with the non-adjustable endlinks in the rear?
    I think my wagon sway bar is too short. I theroize that while the GC front arms are exactly the same length as the GG ones, the arm locates the sway links out further so the links are like this /---------------------------\, instead closer to straight up and down. I think w/ the links angled as such, too much strain when pushing the car.

When I pulled my oem "dogbones" ones out (used temporarily for an autox)- one of the bushings was coming out (pulled out- just as happened w/ the oem sedan links). I lengthened the Poltec links, but have a sedan front sway bar on order to try out. The sedan one should be ~ 20mm longer (10mm to a side) which would locate the links more favorably.

I went w/ the non adj in the rear because the Poltec ones are a smidge shorter than the oem ones and only adjusted downward from there (couldn't make them any longer).

Big Sky

I Support ClubWRX

Brake teaser shot

Brake bits are starting to roll in
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fourpots+dbas.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    Four pots, DBA 5000 rotors, Feredo DS2500's, Goodridge lines and Motul 600 installed last night. Bedded pads and seasoned rotors (four 35 to 5 stops, four 45 to 5 stops, four 55 to 5 stops, four 65 to 5 stops and a couple of 75 to 0 stops- then a nice run w/o brakes to cool). The 2500's bite much more than the oem pads, the four pots and ss lines have improved and firmed pedal feel. I still am waiting on H6 rear rotors to install. Have a two track event this weekend, so the brakes should get a work out- will be using DS3000's pads up front for the event w/ 2500's in the rear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fourpots-dbas.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails volkswfourpots.jpg  

As I have stated before. We have the exact same goals. Nice job . Now just get your car painted black so I can reuse your pics for my work log .

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ipozestu
    As I have stated before. We have the exact same goals. Nice job . Now just get your car painted black so I can reuse your pics for my work log .
    black- the evil twin wagon

Brakes look good. It will be interesting to hear how the front sway bar situation ends up working out. Have fun at the track.
    Big pimpin' in a Legacy GT Wagon

R.I.P. WRX Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Here's how link #2 ended up
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails brokenoemlink.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    I bought a sedansway bar here's a comparo- near identical- the sedan bar is exactly 20mm longer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails frontswaycomparo.jpg  
    Last edited by Big Sky WRX; 09-16-2004 at 08:17 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Here's a pic comparing the sway link angle w/ the wagon bar and the sedan bar
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails swaylinkgeocomparods.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    I'll give the sedan bar a go this weekend

I Support ClubWRX
    Well at the last minute I figured out that my H6 upgrade wasn't going on - http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/suspension-wheels/79703-btw-04-owners-considering-h6-uprated-rotors.html#post848595

The four pots performed wonderfully- night - day feel modualting brakes w/ sliders vs opposed pistons. This was a pretty brake intensive course, 2.5 mile w/ three pretty big "straight-aways" - one approaching 120 mph, the other two 100 mph. Brakes were thoroughly put through their paces.

Even though the four pots shifted bias slightly rearward (a smidge smaller pistons) w/ higher friction pads up front DS2500's (I forgot my 3000's at home ) I think it was a wash. With oem rotors and pads in the rear- it was too heavily front biased (for my liking). Lots of dive and some rear end "wiggle"- I ran the H6's w/ higher friction pads in conjunction w/ the oem two pots (my 02 sedan) and got a pleasant squat. I have no doubt that the H6 will be just what the doctor ordered w/ the four pots.

No front sway bar/link problems- a tight/twisty autox course might reveal something a track might not??? So far so good.

The suspension as a whole worked wonderfully- while it would have nice to be slightly higher sprung, I have no complaints. This was a fairly bumpy course and the lower rates and good suspension travel wasn't too off the mark. The car transitioned well and always felt good and planted. One of the instructors took it through it's paces and complimented the handling (he drives a GT3!) .

The Pirelli's performed flawlessly, but alas are on their last legs. With almost 18,000 miles- four track days, dozens of autoxs a couple of 1,000 mile + vacations, they've done their duty. Pirelli USA doesn't import the 225/50/16's in anymore, so a new tire will be on the horizon.

Big Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX
    black- the evil twin wagon
    haha thats the second time I've heard a comment on that. The first was from my car's previous owner when he was lining up next to RiftsWRX(on NASIOC) at the East Coast Suby challenge last year the announcer announced it like that "And now for the good WRX wagon versus the evil WRX wagon).

Anyways this thread rocks. So much information.
    13.2 @105 with the old auto. Now rockin a 4.44 standard tranny.