Project wagon begins! - Page 10
Page 10 of 104 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Project wagon begins! within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally posted by Big Sky WRX I'll probably give the GSD3 or the Pilot Sport a go next year- I ...

Originally posted by Big Sky WRX
    I'll probably give the GSD3 or the Pilot Sport a go next year- I have to have both wet/dry or I'd probably be running Azeni's or KD's- I don't think anything touches their dry grip- don't think either are very long lived though.

How do you like the KD's? Are you on 16's or 17's? If your on 17's look at the "new" Pilot Sport PS2- these have gotten rave reviews thus far. Unfortunately only 17+ sizing

Big Sky
    I've heard good things about the T1's as well. Basically the same things you mentioned. How good are the Azeni's?

The KD's are sweet for dry grip. Never had to use them in wet. Good feed back. They must have a stiff side wall like s03's cuz they don't seem to roll much.

On the long lived side...not really sure. To me they seem fine and I've only done two track days on them, which sucks cuz I got the small nail now and have to either replace two of them or switch to something else and get 4. But when I took the car to the tire place to see if they could fix the nail hole the two shops both said the nail was to close to the side wall and it can't be fixed. The second place also looked at the tire ware and said the inside tred was higher than the outside and that the tires were separating. I know what separating means but to me there was no visible signs. If in fact the tires are separating how much longer will they last? I have a track day coming up on the 29th this month and don't know if I want to chance running with a small nail in the passenger side front tire...

What are the GDS3's and who makes the Piolt Sports (are they r-compounds)?

Lowball
    Open minds, free powder!

XXX Santa Cruz boards for life! XXX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I wouldn't chance the nail @ a track day. I'd be suprised if the tread was actually seperating, but it's possible. The tread wear being uneven doesn't help either.

The GSD3's are Goodyear's hi po offering- I've seen very good reviews. driggity (also in a wagon) runs these and has very favorable reviews as well.

The Pilot Sport's are Michelin's hi po offering (the PS2's are the "new" model)- they're a street tire- also very favorably reviewed.

I have no personal experience w/ the Azeni's, but they evidently have very good dry grip, they're very (very) reasonably priced, stiff sidewalls- a little heavy, not real good wet grip and evidently in very hot conditions get a little greasy.

Sounds like your getting close to needing new tires.

Mike

Yep, I love my GSD3s especially in the wet. Drove from Eugene, OR to Renton, WA yesterday (about 280miles) in conditions ranging from light drizzle to torrential downpour and had no problems at all even at freeway speeds with a good deal of water on the road. If you don't have to deal with much wet weather the Kumho MX or Azenis are a great choice as they'll save a bit of money and have great grip. If you are going to do track days with them the MXs are probably a better choice as they seem to hold up to heat better.
    Big pimpin' in a Legacy GT Wagon

R.I.P. WRX Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Just finished a two dayautox event and am very satisfied w/ the way everything is working. Turn in is crisp/precise, grip is good and the car handles pretty neutral. As in all tuning/modding, compromise is the order of the day- for autox I could certainly use stiffer springs/dampers and it seems like it's tough to get too much neg camber up front- but as a daily driver and weekend warrior (this setup sees gravel duty as well)- so far so good. This is especially true when the event is 330 miles one way (w/ less than optimum roads).

I should be getting some brake work in hopefully this week. I'm also down a little on the power side, hopefully that could be remedied some this week as well.

Big Sky

zum
    Now you can help me setup my car

You gonna be at Skyview on Monday?
    04 Aspen White WRX Sedan

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by zum
    Now you can help me setup my car

You gonna be at Skyview on Monday?
    No probleemo I should be, I'm going to Minot as they're having a two day event-Sat/Sun, but am planning on hitting Skyview on Monday.

Figure the season is coming to end, better squeeze in as much as possible!

Mike

I Support ClubWRX

Sh#t

I was underneath my car (uppipe/downpipe install) and noticed one of my sway links had "popped" . These are the sedan pillowball links- the "head" of the link just popped out and ofcourse the "local" (140 miles away) dealer doesn't have any in stock.

I'm going to try and bolt on my wagon links (I don't think they will fit very well w/ the aluminum arms) to try and get me thru an event tomorrow.

I'm going to go to the Poltec front links in lieu of the oem ones- they'rea lot beefier.

Big Sky

Re: Sh#t

Originally posted by Big Sky WRX
    I was underneath my car (uppipe/downpipe install) and noticed one of my sway links had "popped" . These are the sedan pillowball links- the "head" of the link just popped out and ofcourse the "local" (140 miles away) dealer doesn't have any in stock.

I'm going to try and bolt on my wagon links (I don't think they will fit very well w/ the aluminum arms) to try and get me thru an event tomorrow.

I'm going to go to the Poltec front links in lieu of the oem ones- they'rea lot beefier.

Big Sky
    I'm pretty sure you are talking about endlinks right. I replaced mine with the whitelines up front. I'm sure you know under heavy duty loads (like auto-x and tracking) thoes things can do all sorts of weird thigns from twisting into a pretzel, to snapping, to popping out! I think the Poltec's are a good choise...aren't they spherical like the perrin rears?

The whiteline's seem to be holding up pretty well, but I think they get a little squeakie.
    Open minds, free powder!

I Support ClubWRX
    The Poltec's are spherical and pretty beefy- I'll be ordering a set this week, might even try their rear links as well.

Here's a pic of the link:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails brokenswaylink.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    Amazingly the old wagon "dogbone" links held thru 8 runs on a pretty twisty course (there even mounted upside down from their original position to fit on the aluminum arms).

Poltecs on order.

Big Sky

hey bigsky,

i pretty sure i may have asked you this before or maybe it was listed back on page one...

what are the alignment setting you are using now for the wagon? and you don't have camber plates right? what about rear camber bolts, are you using thoes?

also, you are just mainly doing auto-x or are you doing track days too?

Thanks,

Lowball
    Open minds, free powder!

I Support ClubWRX
    No camber/caster plates. I'm running -1.4 up front and -0.7 in the rear (camber bolts). Toe I'm running 1mm toe out/side- both front and rear.

Autox mostly, but track days when I can- I've got a two day track event the weekend after next - now if my brake stuff will just show up

Big Sky

I Support ClubWRX

sway links

Installed front/rear sway links this weekend. Poltec spherical ones- great build quality, very beefy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails poltecfrontvsoem.jpg   poltecrearvsoem.jpg   poltecrearinstalled.jpg   poltecfrontinstalled.jpg  
    Last edited by Big Sky WRX; 09-13-2004 at 07:38 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    front vs oem

rear

rear installed

front installed

I have enjoyed your wagon log. I have many of the same goals for my '05. I think I'll be starting a work log as well. Where did you pick up the poltech's I've searched for them but I can't seem to track them down.