Best Handling setup for WRX?

This is a discussion on Best Handling setup for WRX? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Given no $ limits, what do you think would be the best setup for the WRX. I've heard that lowering ...

Best Handling setup for WRX?

Given no $ limits, what do you think would be the best setup for the WRX. I've heard that lowering the WRX can actually make it handle worse. So being new the the WRX and to AWDs I was hoping to start some discussion about good handling configs for the WRX.

Any Ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

In a word, "coilovers". There are numerous brands from which to choose. Check out the AutoX and suspension forums for info. There are plenty of people running AutoX that will give you some good advice. BTW, welcome aboard the board!
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

This is a pretty broad question.

If you are looking to purchase, I'd say do some serious research before buying and base the decision on the surface they will be used on (gravel, snow/ice, street, bad streets, etc), driving style (smooth or not), and the type of use (track only, mix, street only).

Ultimately, the answer comes down to getting the right fit and tuning it for the best overall balance.

For AutoX, I have heard several people say that the best overall bang for the buck is the complete STI suspension kit because it is already tuned. If you don't have tuning experience, you may want to go this route.

In my case, I'm still researching and waiting for the right thing to come along. Since I already have an AutoX car, this would be mostly for spirited street driving.

Originally posted by AutoXr
    For AutoX, I have heard several people say that the best overall bang for the buck is the complete STI suspension kit because it is already tuned. If you don't have tuning experience, you may want to go this route.
    I agree. I've also heard that the STi set up is very freindly to daily drivers. I don't think the same can be said for most coilover set ups. I have a couple of friends with coilovers and neither is very comfortable at all on public roads, especially in pothole-ridden NYC. They do VERY well in autocrosses on the other hand.

Well, given *NO LIMITS*, perhaps a coilver like the TEIN RA with front and rear swaybars, endlinks, strutbars, and V-brace, and while you're at it the cusco version 2 underbrace. STI control arms, bigger/lighter wheels and tires, and a good alignment.

But for starters, solid rear endlinks will help, and perhaps a rear bigger rear swaybar. The front swaybars are just fine IMO untill you really mod the hell out of the car. Lowering the car will help the handling if its done right, so basically try to lower less than 1.5" or so if you are keeping the stock struts.

The STI kit is this the one from subaru of america or is this the Spring and Strut combo???? Im looking for a good suspention upgrade for some autox and mountain passes!!!

The STi kit is available from Subaru dealers but they won't install it for some reason. Here's a link to it at SubaruParts.com; price there is $1,219.20

what about this?

Anybody have any info on the M2 setup? Iv hurd that thier is the 2nd quickest threw the 600ft slalom course road & track ever tested "73.6 mph" to be exact. I wonder if it is day to day road compliant

The M2 coilovers are modified DMS 40s (gold). I have heard both good and bad on i-club about them. A set of DMS Golds costs somewhere near $1600; I think that the M2s are around $1750

Here's a link to a recent M2 thread on i-club

For a good article on how the WRX handles stock and what goes into tuning it, look on page 40 of the September 2002 issue of Grassroots Motorsports. They cover the changes made over two days to a bone stock WRX (including sway bar and springs) before heading out to the Open Track Challenge. It really shows that you need to know something about car setup to really get the most out of any car.
    Last edited by AutoXr; 08-05-2002 at 08:08 PM.

JIC coilovers are the best bang for the buck. Inverted struts, noiseless pillow ball mounts with front camber adjustments, stainless steel construction, and you adjust the ride height by the shock body instead of the spring perch. Another nice feature is that the adjuster is on the bottom of the strut. With other brands, you must remove the rear seat to adjust the dampening. For those that think Japanese coilovers are too stiff, I can get you custom spring rates to help soften the ride. JIC is local to me, so custom setups don't take extra time. I sell the FLT-A2s for $1650.
    Kevin
    www.pkZero.com
    www.BulletProofAutomotive.com

Does anyone have the JIC coilovers installed in their WRX? How do they stack up to the Tein's or the H&R's or any of the other guys??

I am looking for coilovers as my first real upgrade to my new baby and I need some direction.

My WRX is a daily driver commuter that must be able to deal with bumpy SF streets, but also handle the mountains with swiftness. I would also like to get a little lower. So, in other words, I'm looking for the zen state of something that handles well, but isn't too stiff.
    vrooooom

Well, all of my customers are very happy with their JIC's. I can sell Teins as well, but have yet to sell any due to the fact that the JICs are so much nicer. One of my customers even replaced his Teins and is much happier now. For San Fran, go with the 7/5 spring combo, it is much easier on your spine while still performing just as well. Actually, JIC track tested both the 8/6 and the 7/5 setups and found no difference in lap times.