Helix Rear Swaybar Users
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Helix Rear Swaybar Users within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi guys, I just installed a helix rear swaybar and helix endlinks yesterday on MY04. The endlinks seem to be ...

Helix Rear Swaybar Users

Hi guys, I just installed a helix rear swaybar and helix endlinks yesterday on MY04. The endlinks seem to be at a weird angle, which leads me to suspect I connected them to the swaybar wrong...

Right now I have the swaybar mounted on the inside of the endlinks...is that correct?

Here's a couple pictures to do some justice...

If anyone could help that'd be great, thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails helix swaybar 001.jpg  
    2004 PSM WRX Sedan

AIM:
    XxGoudaxX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The one above is the driver's side, and this is the passenger side...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails helix swaybar 002.jpg  
    2004 PSM WRX Sedan

AIM:
    XxGoudaxX

That is strange. It should look just like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sway-link.jpg  
    Former car: 2002 Cobb/Scoobysport stage 2 WRX sedan
    New ride: ???

WOW THOSE ARE REALLY THIN
    ill take pic of my end links tonight with my exaust.

mine are straight like the ones above
    NEW 03 WRX bought NOV 16th 2002
    classified as a LEMON =(
    NEW 04 WRX traded with 03 lemon
    AUGUST 31st 2003

work for HONDA drives a SUBARU =p

Yeah, looks like both of your endlinks are leaning to the left. That can't be right. Oh, but one difference. I have prodrive springs, so it squats alittle lower. I noticed when my car was up on jacks, the endlinks were leaned in a little. Hmmm...that doesn't really explain it though.

Hrm, kinda looks like you're bushing free there. [I see now that they use spherical bearings not bushings perse.]

Did that setup come new, or used?

-tp
    Last edited by Teep; 05-24-2004 at 05:46 PM.
    The 202 Wagon
    Bugeye Mafia "Silent But Deadly Ass-sasin"
    "Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in!"

I think you may have had the car slighlty tilted on its suspension when you installed the bar and links. Looks like you may want to loosen the sway bar mounts with the car flat on the ground on an even surface, and move the bar so that both links have the same angle, either straight up or both with slight angles in. Maybe those endlinks are not stock length either, that may contribute to making the alignment more difficult. I dont have those type of links, i have the whitleline alloy ones which are stock length so I'm not sure if that is changing some of the angles. Good luck..

Originally posted by snowscientist
    I think you may have had the car slighlty tilted on its suspension when you installed the bar and links. Looks like you may want to loosen the sway bar mounts with the car flat on the ground on an even surface, and move the bar so that both links have the same angle, either straight up or both with slight angles in. Maybe those endlinks are not stock length either, that may contribute to making the alignment more difficult. I dont have those type of links, i have the whitleline alloy ones which are stock length so I'm not sure if that is changing some of the angles. Good luck..
    This fellow has the right idea. It looks like it needs to be shifted to the right.

BTW- how much did that setup (links/rear sway) cost and where did you get it from?
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

Originally posted by platano
    At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

I installed the swaybar and links on a flat surface and everything lined up fine...it's just the links are tilted. If you notice in the first picture, the rubber piece that mounts to the body is as far left as it can go, so I can't move the bar itself over to the right anymore...

I got the setup from Joe @ Flat4, he's local, and he is a good guy, so you can't beat that.

I'm thinking about maybe switching endlinks and maybe that'll change something, I never even considered comparing them to stock. The helix endlinks use spherical joints, alot different than the bushings...

Do you guys think I should try a different set of endlinks?
    Last edited by Chris G; 05-24-2004 at 09:49 PM.
    2004 PSM WRX Sedan

AIM:
    XxGoudaxX

Alrite, fiddled with it some more, and have come to the conclusion that the bar isn't bent correctly...or it's too short, something like that

As I mentioned before the driver side mount is over as far left as possible, therefore the swaybar cannot be moved to the RIGHT anymore! And that's the direction I need it to move. If you take a look at keystah's picture, you notice his driver side mount has a good inch or so to slide to the left if he needed be. Mine has absolutely ZERO space to move, and I can't get the links to become vertical.

I'm hoping I can do a trade with Joe @ Flat4 for a different bar...
    2004 PSM WRX Sedan

AIM:
    XxGoudaxX

Yeah, especially if he gave you the wrong part. Look closely at your #2 pic and my pic. the bar actually goes straight back from the bend on yours. On my super Cusco badness sway it curves in more so that when it hooks to the end link it is straight.

Here is what I mean
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sway-curve.jpg  

Dan, glad my explanation seems to make sense to people. I would move the bar if I could, but I CAN'T!

I did notice yours has quite a bit of room to play with...

I just went out into the garage and removed the driver side body mount, and got the links straight, and tried to put the mount back on, but it was right on the bend! Fawkin' ridiculous if you ask me...

Maybe I just got a bad bar, all I know is that I want a new one
    2004 PSM WRX Sedan

AIM:
    XxGoudaxX

your helix is straight here.... yuk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails helix-crap.jpg  

Dan, thanks for the visuals

I am going to get it touch with Joe tomorrow, I just bought it 5 days ago, so I am hoping he'll help me out a little bit, sad thing is I can't afford to buy another swaybar right now
    2004 PSM WRX Sedan

AIM:
    XxGoudaxX

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast