Rear Camber Bolt Install help - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Rear Camber Bolt Install help within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Thanks good link. It did confirm that I got it on right. It still doesn't explain what that tab does. ...

Thanks good link. It did confirm that I got it on right. It still doesn't explain what that tab does. I saw in trhe whiteline rallysport article that the little tab is supposed to lock into the cam and turn with the bolt. Does it do this?

In the kit I have the cam does not extend far enough to catch the cam and "lock" It kinda follows but I wouldn't trust it as a visual aid. There is a little triangle stamped on the front of the bolt that tells you where the polt is pointing.

Also I don't see what it matters which way the large tab is pointing at install. The cam has full rotation and woulkd still go through an entire range of camber whether the washer is there or not. I don't understand why people say that you have to point the washer toward the wheel for positive camber. I can turn the bolt and point it at the moon if i wish. Again maybe the whiteline kit is different, I don't know.

My only thought is that on the box for the bolts there are a list of other cars it will work with. Maybe this is just the way it works on a subaru.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Can't speak to the other bolts (although I have to assume they are the same)- the tab does impact the direction the cam lobe turns. I had mine orientated wrong on my alignment- tab inward and the best (lowest camber we could get was in the -1.8 range- all the way up -3.0!) It finally hit me the tab was orientated wrong- we removed and and swapped it around- viola we could actually go positive (0+) if we wanted to (didn't) and got to my desired -0.8 degrees.

The cam is turning fully, but orientated one way it's giving you some neg to a lots, the other some positive to a lot.

Big Sky
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Next time you get a chance to see one off the strut, take a better look at it. You will see two tabs on the washer, one for visual aid (the big pointy one in the pic), and you will see one that is going to be bent down on the inerside of the washer that gets inserted into the strut hole. This causes the bolt to spin off center, causing the lobe on the bolt to push in one direction or the other. Depending on how you have it pointed. If it didnt have that bent down tab on the washer, the lobe on the bolt would not due anything, it would spin like the stock bolt. Thats why the pointer needs to be aliened with the lob, or it wont fit into the strut hole.
    Will #1
    LISC #2

Closer look???? I hope I NEVER see that bleeding hole again lol

That kinda makes sense. Question: Is the hole in the hub oblong? It seemed that the bolt was bent. That would also make the bolt spin off center. If that is true I'm starting to get it. This is like a divine mystery lol

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    In the rear the hole is perfectly round (unlike the top front)- that's the reason the bolt is undersized, to allow for the cam. Sounds like your having fun I never noticed my bolt to be bent
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX
    In the rear the hole is perfectly round (unlike the top front)- that's the reason the bolt is undersized, to allow for the cam. Sounds like your having fun I never noticed my bolt to be bent
    Yes that's true. It has to be undersized to allow for the cam, but it also has to be bent. Cam or no cam if that hole is round and the cam fits in it, it cannot exert force on the hub. It would just spin. Now bend the bolt, put the high side of the cam on the high side of the bend, and it will move the hub. That little inner tab cannot move that hub. It just follows the bolt around.

Someone must have one of these things to look at.

I Support ClubWRX
    * subscribed for the near future*
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12