Mangled the front suspension: Need damage assesment
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Mangled the front suspension: Need damage assesment within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well, I am officially an idiot. My friend and I were tooling around today and I took a turn a ...

Unhappy Mangled the front suspension: Need damage assesment

Well, I am officially an idiot. My friend and I were tooling around today and I took a turn a little bit to fast. Terminal WRX understeer kicked in and I hit a sewer drain on the side of the road. Tire got pushed back and I had to flatbed it home. I threw it up on some jackstands 20 mins ago and took some pics.

I think I can fix it myself, unless you guys see something I don't see. It looks like I bent 3 things: the front sway bar (maybe?), front endlink, and control arm (i'm not sure what its called, its a huge metal piece) But, it looks like I'm going to order some parts from www.subaruparts.com and replace the bent stuff. Can I do this? Please guys, I need your input. Can I fix this myself?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc00843.jpg  
    --Jason-- 2004 MT WRB WRX
    Cobb Stage 2 more goodies:
    STi SS | Blitz SUS | Samco IC Hoses | Perrin Rear Sway Bar and Endlinks | Eibach's | Steel Gray Rota Downshifts | Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's | Blitz DTT-DC2 | Phatty-Ass System

"This is my WRX. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My WRX is my best friend. It is my life. I must master my WRX as I must master my life. Without me, my WRX is useless. Without my WRX, I am useless."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

the rim. the edge is all chewed up, but as far as I can tell its still straight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc00848.jpg  
    STi SS | Blitz SUS | Samco IC Hoses | Perrin Rear Sway Bar and Endlinks | Eibach's | Steel Gray Rota Downshifts | Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's | Blitz DTT-DC2 | Phatty-Ass System

"This is my WRX. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My WRX is my best friend. It is my life. I must master my WRX as I must master my life. Without me, my WRX is useless. Without my WRX, I am useless."

the control arm (i think its called that at least) Its definetly bent, but I think if I get a new one I can replace it relatively easily.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc00845.jpg  

the endlnk is missing, and the front sway bar MIGHT be bent. I can't tell.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc00844.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    I would take it to a mechanic that you trust and have them assess the damage. There may be more broken then you realize...
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

Originally posted by MidKnight
    I would take it to a mechanic that you trust and have them assess the damage. There may be more broken then you realize...
    ill decide what my course of action is depending on what some suspension gurus have to say about it. As far as I can tell, I should be able to order these parts up and do a direct swap for the bent stuff. So unless someone thinks otherwise, thats what my course of action will be.

BTW, what are some of the names of the thinks i broke. I know what a front sway and endlink are, but I don't know the name of that 3rd thing.

That is about $5K in damage, trust me. With an impact like that, you basically damage everything, and whatever you do not replace will eventually fail. Subframe, control arm, droplink, all of the steering, sway bar, hub, strut, the works.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

Its a control arm, and if it is that bent, your subframe is probably bent too.

I took a turn too hot and hit sime gravel with my bald RE92s and curbed it just like that and my bill was $6600 from the body shop.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

Not necessarily so, but most likely NJwrbT-WRX is right.

My Story:
    I bought my car from a guy in Chicago on March 15th, 2003. 2 days later, I'm joyriding with 2 friends and decide to powerslide through an empty intersection. End up hitting the far side curb (driver side as I was making a right turn) at about 25-30 mph.

Initially, broke a rotor and bent my rim up with scratches like your pictures show. We ripped out the jack from the back of the car and changed it with the spare.

After installing the donught tire, we tried moving the car, but heard a massive squeal as the wheel bearings had frozen on the front passenger wheel. New driver side front strut, (2) new rotors and rims on the left hand side, driver side front lower control arm, etc...

Got it flatbed towed to Wagner Subaru. My insurance total came to $4300. I can get the list of parts they replaced and the labor costs, but I was SHOCKED at the cost of just hitting a curb! (NO BODY DAMAGE WHATSOEVER!)

I will try to scan it and post so everyone can see what dealers charge for parts and labor.

I wouldn't try to do this yourself. I seriously think you'll never get your camber settings right and will wear through several sets of tires until you get it right.

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

Another thought:

Since you'll want to call around, I'll make your life easier. Here's the number to Wagner Subaru. I trust these guys and the work they've done. I'm at about 17k miles SINCE I had my repairs done and have had absolutely NO problems with tire wear or steering.

Ask for Wayne and tell him Justin Tubbs told ya to call. He knows me by name after my incident...

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

I would think you just need an end link, a control arm, and a new rim... Stock rims are pretty easy to come by, and you might even be able to find a used stock control arm if you're not lookin to upgrade.

peace
    Last edited by hippy78; 11-25-2003 at 12:54 PM.

The exact type of thing happened to me. Combination of ice and curb.

My front right wheel pretty much got pushed back till it rubbed against the back of the wheel well. I posted about it last year.

I took in to the dealership and they replaced the control arm (passenger side transverse link) and bushings. That's all they did since that's all they gave me back afterwards. Total was a bit under $500.

They tried to get me to pay an additional $500 to replace the slightly dented wheel...heheh..anyone who pays $500 for 1 OEM WRX wheel with RE92's...I sooo feel sorry for them.

I think the control arm is designed to give...to prevent the crap that NJwrbT-WRX brought up. That's why getting stronger control arms may not be a good an idea.

If it was to happen again, I would change it myself, then take it to the dealership and get an alignment. Tell them you hit a bump hard. During the alignment, they will notice if there's any addtional damage.

You'll need an alignment no matter what.

Hg.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

Here's a pic of some of my damage: (The front wheel was even worse!!)

This is a picture of the rear driver side suspension:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tubbytreats accident 1.jpg  

2002 WRX Mods:

thanks guys!

heres what i think so far:
    until someone says otherwise, i think my sway bar MAY be alright. the endlink is attached with a ball bearing in a plastic bushing. I'm sure as soon as I hit, the bearing just popped out, saving my front sway bar.

As for the transverse link, it looks like its designed to give. im thinking about taking everything out tonight. are there any walkthroughs i can look at? anyone have any advice?

as for the rear, i just nicked the rim on the sewer, i don't think anything happened.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast