Mangled the front suspension: Need damage assesment - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Mangled the front suspension: Need damage assesment within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; That's good to hear. I want to take my baby in for an oil change and a check-up. Gettin' close ...

That's good to hear. I want to take my baby in for an oil change and a check-up. Gettin' close to the 30K barrier...

I've heard that there are a few dealerships out there that will actually do the mod, like an MBC or the uptake/downtake pipes. Is this a myth?
    \m/

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by chakosh
    That's good to hear. I want to take my baby in for an oil change and a check-up. Gettin' close to the 30K barrier...

I've heard that there are a few dealerships out there that will actually do the mod, like an MBC or the uptake/downtake pipes. Is this a myth?
    Not sure that too many dealers will install up/downpipes. I know Wagner will install a cat-back, but won't touch an up or downpipe, since it will be removing one or more cats.(since it's against the law)

got my estimate back from the dealer today. $1900 total. They were going to replace 2 new rims and a tire, but I told them not to. I'm going to locate some used stuff. How much do you think I saved by doing this? I'm thinking 500 or so, hopefully. I was under the impression that new OEM rims were 200/each and tires were about 150/each.

I was planning on locating 2 used rims, and buying a set of snow tires instead of a new RE-92(i refuse to buy another POS re-92). Any snow tires recomendations? I'll be mounting them on my OEM rims.

thanks for all your help guys.
    --Jason-- 2004 MT WRB WRX
    Cobb Stage 2 more goodies:
    STi SS | Blitz SUS | Samco IC Hoses | Perrin Rear Sway Bar and Endlinks | Eibach's | Steel Gray Rota Downshifts | Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's | Blitz DTT-DC2 | Phatty-Ass System

"This is my WRX. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My WRX is my best friend. It is my life. I must master my WRX as I must master my life. Without me, my WRX is useless. Without my WRX, I am useless."

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    What are they replacing suspension wise? $1900 is a lot of $.

I'm running Nokian NRW's for snow tires, do a search I've reviewed them a couple of times-very favorably.

Big Sky

Sorry to hear about all the trouble....

Tire Rack has OE rims for I think like 70 bucks or so...they're take-offs, but I got a set w/ Dunlop Winter Sport M3's mounted on them and they were in good shape. I haven't had the M3's in the snow yet, but they do quite well on dry / rain conditions. Oh yeah, the M3s run about 92 a tire....I'd say the sidewall is a bit stiffer than the RE92s, and they seem to handle better as well.

Good luck with the repairs!
    4 tires...a motor...a couple doors I think...I'd have to check.

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see any talk of you upgrading to aluminum control arms, that would be the first thing I do if I bent one of the steal ones.

Also Silvia Wagon, what size tires did you put on the stock rims, Dunlop M3's don't come in 205/55/16 as far as I can tell.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

I just checked, and it looks like they do, I phoned in the order so they might not have it listed on the website...Here's the line from my order confirmation :

4- 205/55VR-16 Dunlop Winter Sport M3 In Stock $92.00

Originally posted by KanosWRX
    Maybe I missed it but I didn't see any talk of you upgrading to aluminum control arms, that would be the first thing I do if I bent one of the steal ones.
    The steel ones are engineered to bend in an impact. An aluminum one would hold up better, thus damaging other things.

Big Sky:
    this is what they replaced,
    control arm, endlink, front sway, wheel bearings, hub, alignment
    $800 of that 1900 estimate is attributed to 2 new rims, 1 new tire

So I'm replacing my stock rims and tires with 4 silver rota downshifts w/ Pirelli PZero Nero M+S

I guess some good did come out after all. Basically, I'm getting my car back and $300 towards my rim/tire purchase (my deductable is 500).
    STi SS | Blitz SUS | Samco IC Hoses | Perrin Rear Sway Bar and Endlinks | Eibach's | Steel Gray Rota Downshifts | Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's | Blitz DTT-DC2 | Phatty-Ass System

"This is my WRX. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My WRX is my best friend. It is my life. I must master my WRX as I must master my life. Without me, my WRX is useless. Without my WRX, I am useless."

Good work Shibby!

Let me know how it all works out. I'll tell ya that they charged me $250 each for JUST rims when I had my accident. My tires were reused from before the accident as there was no tread or belt damage. I opted for new rims since I was getting about $4300 dollars of work done and it was pretty much worth it anyway since insurance was picking up the tab.

I'd like to get together when you get your WRX back and running. I just blew one of the SubyDude gaskets out of my uppipe/exhaust manifold joint! I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the gasket had totally torn up!

Oh well, he's a great guy and will be sending me a new gasket Overnight.

I'll be buying Rota Royal Black Downshift rims with polished lip in the Spring. I'd like to see what your car looks like with them!!

- Tubby

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

chris, did you insurance ever go up b/c of your accident?

Originally posted by Shibby
    chris, did you insurance ever go up b/c of your accident?
    I bet your insurance is outrageous since you're young. I just sent my 6 month bill in....it was $860 (there goes my stealthback and part of my AccessPort.) I also just bought my parents a computer for Christmas, so there goes more money.

I'll be 25 in June, so hopefully my insurance goes down sometime soon.

That's nothing. My 6 month insurance is $1115 with Progressive (cheapest around)

I'm 23 and can't wait till I'm 25. I've heard very good things about that birthday...

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

Damn...I pay just over 900....but for thats for a year, and I'm 24.

correction, it's $1014, but yes, I did have a $4300 claim for fixing my WRX

Turns out, I'll turn 25 before I even come close to paying that off, so it all works out in the end.

2002 WRX Mods:

My suggestion... find a someone with tools, buy the parts yourself (investigate for good prices), Download a PDF with all the suspension parts.

Dismantle your front end, look around for anything obvious. Bolt on the new parts.

Then, go to the (wagner) subaru dealer, tell them you need a visual inspection, alignment, and wheel balancing.

If all goes well, your subie will be ok, if not, its a few more parts...
    It could have been way way way worse... (telephone pole, parked car, etc) Id say your lucky... no body damage !!!! thats a plus

If you do it all thru subaru or insurance, youll be paying for it for 2- 5 years in premium. It will also appear on record when you sell your car, and will be permenantly tagged to your VIN #(carfax.com). So not only will you pay for it in the long run, the next owner of your subaru will be able to chew you down on resale.
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast