Mangled the front suspension: Need damage assesment - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Mangled the front suspension: Need damage assesment within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm not thinking that his damage is simply in the 0 - 00 range. Honestly. I still say you should ...

I'm not thinking that his damage is simply in the $500 - $1000 range. Honestly.

I still say you should get an estimate from the dealer, weigh it out to see what is legit and what is just for their pockets. When I had mine done, they did an estimate without my insurance company even being named. So I got to look at the parts list before any work got done.

Probably is your best bet at this point. Correct me if I'm wrong.

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My car's at Wagner Subaru right now, getting an estimate. As soon as I get it I'll post it up on this thread. Hopefully, if its all relatively easy stuff to replace, I'll do it myself and walk away with insurance money in my pocket. Something good may come of this afterall.
    --Jason-- 2004 MT WRB WRX
    Cobb Stage 2 more goodies:
    STi SS | Blitz SUS | Samco IC Hoses | Perrin Rear Sway Bar and Endlinks | Eibach's | Steel Gray Rota Downshifts | Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's | Blitz DTT-DC2 | Phatty-Ass System

"This is my WRX. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My WRX is my best friend. It is my life. I must master my WRX as I must master my life. Without me, my WRX is useless. Without my WRX, I am useless."

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I had a little off course excursion earlier in the season and sustained front end damage.

The transverse link is bent for sure (as was mine)- I purchased new aluminum control arms for ~ $300, a new oe stamped one was $150- I even sold my oe arm for $75 to a guy who wrecked the opposite side.

I replaced the transverse links, knowing that there was a possiblility of the cross member or strut bent as well. I knew the transverse link was bent so it got replaced. I then took it into a component alignment shop (one that does custom alignments for me). Cross camber was off so I was thinking maybe the strut was indeed bent as well. As soon as we loosened the two strut bolts the camber came into place- it was bound up.

All alignment specs were as before, thus no other bent componenets-thankfully.

I like do all my work myself, I can't help think a shop would opt to replace "everything"- I guess if your insurance is paying for it so be it. There is a very good chance you were looking at a $150 control arm and a alignment- possibly more.

Ofcourse I "lost" a Volk TE 37 as well as my transverse link- that hurt!

Good luck.

Big Sky

thanks for replying BigSky, as soon as I get the estimate I'll scan it here. Depending on everyone's responses I'll do one of two things:

1. Let the dealership take care of everything, except for the 2 new rims. I will buy these used. The money I save doing that should take care of my deductible.
    OR
    2. Tow the car back to my house and fix it myself. Even if it takes me a month to locate parts and put them in myself, I will walk away with lots of $ in my pocket.

I don't have to much wrenching experience, but I'm willing to take on anything. Do I have the skills/tools needed to take on such a repair? Everything looks pretty straighforward, except for the maybe the steering rack. I'm not sure I could do that, so hopefully its still intact. What do you guy's think?
    STi SS | Blitz SUS | Samco IC Hoses | Perrin Rear Sway Bar and Endlinks | Eibach's | Steel Gray Rota Downshifts | Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's | Blitz DTT-DC2 | Phatty-Ass System

"This is my WRX. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My WRX is my best friend. It is my life. I must master my WRX as I must master my life. Without me, my WRX is useless. Without my WRX, I am useless."

one question: are the all those suspension parts the same for 02-04 WRX's? I'm going to try to pick some of these up used.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Shibby
    one question: are the all those suspension parts the same for 02-04 WRX's? I'm going to try to pick some of these up used.
    For sedans should be the same up front, they made some changes to the rear springs/tops that would have no bearing on your endeavor.

The transverse links are straight forward as well as strut replacement. The cross member would be more difficultas well as the front hub.

Herein lies the problem, except w/ obvious damage-like the front transverse link you have, its hard to tell if other parts are bent-knuckle, strut, cross member- that's why they frequently replace everything-whether it needs it or not.

The alternative is more time consuming, and can be hit and miss. Replace the obvious damaged parts, then get an alignment and see if things are copacetic. If not, then one has to look further. Good alignment folks often can diagnosis bent suspension pieces pretty well based on alignment specs.

Let's see what they come up w/ for an estimate. The wheels like you said are a no brainer, that should put $ in your pocket right off the get go.

Big Sky

Ah damn dude... I did the EXACT SAME THING on Lyons Rd right past McEwen in July. I had just moved to Dayton and was driving around to get to know various places around where I live, and wham! Slammed right into a curb. I took it to White Allen and had them fix it... It cost me about $975. They had to replace the wheel, arm, knuckle, and a few other things.

I feel your pain, Shibby.
    \m/

Originally posted by chakosh

I feel your pain, Shibby.
    yeah, and snow is just starting to accumulate outside

chakosh,

Hey man! Welcome to the club! You should go post in our regional forum here so we can all meet up sometime!! Here's a link: Ohio Roll Call

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

Cool man... Just did. Thanks!

Shibby, how is Wagner Subaru? They good? White Allen did a good job with mine, but took them a while (like a week and a half)..
    \m/

Cool man... Just did. Thanks!

Shibby, how is Wagner Subaru? They good? White Allen did a good job with mine, but took them a while (like a week and a half)..
    I haven't had any repairs done at Wagner, but I stop by there a lot since I work on base. They're super nice guys. Bo (the owner) took me for a ride in his new Sti......it was amazing. He had just gotten his Bridgestone airbag suspension. Said he's the first sti and 2nd wrx in the country to get it. The suspension was unbelievable when pushed hard in the twisties. It made my wrx seem like a geo metro. Arrrggghhh....I want an Sti!!!

Wagner is a very good dealership. They are VERY mod friendly. They have a brand new 04 WRX in the showroom with a APS turboback already installed. When I was buying my WRX, one of the salesmen took me around back to show me a customers car they were working on. Apparently it had 300 whp.

Wow that's awesome... I'll have to start using them if they're mod-friendly. I've been thinking about putting an MBC in mine but don't want to void the warranty (I bought the extended - 60,000 miles).
    \m/

Wow that's awesome... I'll have to start using them if they're mod-friendly. I've been thinking about putting an MBC in mine but don't want to void the warranty (I bought the extended - 60,000 miles).
    When I talked to them, they seemed mod friendly. But they still said if the aftermarket part is directly linked to the failed part, the warranty won't cover it.

I'm the one who told Shibby to go to Wagner Subaru. I had even more serious damage done to my WRX and Wagner finished the job in about 3-4 days (including waiting for some of the parts to get shipped)

I'm very happy with their service and would trust them working on anybody's WRX.

2002 WRX Mods:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast