Mangled the front suspension: Need damage assesment - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Mangled the front suspension: Need damage assesment within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; If you insist on doing it yourself, you absolutely must have the WRX manuals. Find yourself the PDFs. -joe...

If you insist on doing it yourself, you absolutely must have the WRX manuals. Find yourself the PDFs.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Maybe I can swing over sometime this week to help ya look at it. (At least to compare between factory spec and what you have) It might help you determine what is wrong and what needs replaced.

I'm sorry about the sewer drain incident. Looks like alot of us have been in the same boat.

You still have a functional vehicle. Be happy about that.

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

Yeah, listen to these guys and take it to a mechanic.

Now, I know its two different cars, but back when I had my POS Lumina, I railed a curb and at first I thought just swappin to the donut would do...then a week later things started going wrong. BENT the heck out of basically everything and too boot, I made it worse by just driving on the donut. Just my two cents....

Sorry that happened to your ride.

im downloading pdf's as we speak. there for the 2002, would that matter? I have an 04.

edit: oh and i feel like a piece of **** right now
    --Jason-- 2004 MT WRB WRX
    Cobb Stage 2 more goodies:
    STi SS | Blitz SUS | Samco IC Hoses | Perrin Rear Sway Bar and Endlinks | Eibach's | Steel Gray Rota Downshifts | Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's | Blitz DTT-DC2 | Phatty-Ass System

"This is my WRX. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My WRX is my best friend. It is my life. I must master my WRX as I must master my life. Without me, my WRX is useless. Without my WRX, I am useless."

Get off your own case... I kept thinking about how stupid I was (2 days into WRX Ownership!) all day.

You have an incredible vehicle that is capable of so many different things. Right now it's not doing so well, but you can thank yourself that the car is not wrapped around a tree, pole, or even another car.

You are fortunate enough to walk away for a bit, replace the bad parts, and start driving it again. I can assure you you'll be more careful now. I have been driving like gramps ever since!

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

well, i may take it to the dealership to get fixed. Just the control arm, sway, and endlink cost ~350. I'm sure there other stuff to IE my strut for example. My deductible is 500 so I think I'm going to have insurance take care of this. ****
    STi SS | Blitz SUS | Samco IC Hoses | Perrin Rear Sway Bar and Endlinks | Eibach's | Steel Gray Rota Downshifts | Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's | Blitz DTT-DC2 | Phatty-Ass System

"This is my WRX. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My WRX is my best friend. It is my life. I must master my WRX as I must master my life. Without me, my WRX is useless. Without my WRX, I am useless."

Take it to the dealer... That looks like well over $1200 in damage at least... I hope the best for you!

Unfortunately i know how you're feeling...
    autobahn storming scooby

since my strut may be bent, would koni adjustables be in order? are they out for the 04 yet? I'd like to upgrade to some nice JIC's or TEIN's, but i have no money

What if:

say a lot of things are damaged and the insurance estimates ~$4500.00 Would it be a good idea to attempt to fix everything myself, and possible save money on the labor? Could I fix everything?

There is a real good possibility that my strut is bent. I hold off on other mods for a while, and try and get some JICS or TEINS in there rather than buying a new oem strut. Good idea? I know I could afford with no money out of pocket if i do the idea i suggested above.

If the strut is bent then koni's will do you now good since they are just an insert. And whether you can fix it on your own depends on what tools you have available and what the actual damage is.
    Big pimpin' in a Legacy GT Wagon

R.I.P. WRX Wagon

"Take it to the dealer... That looks like well over $1200 in damage at least... I hope the best for you! "

Saying that something is over $1200 in damage from the dealer really doesn't say much(imo). In parts, it looks like about $300 if you get new parts, $50 to get the wheel fixed, however much for an alighnment, and a bit more if you get aftermarket parts. Also, the parts would cost a LOT less if you got used ones, and I'M SURE it wouldn't be to hard to get used parts of the ones you broke. I actually have some end links if you want them (I'll have to look through the closet of death though). You could take the $70 an hour you woulda payed subaru to fix the car to pay for some of the parts(if not all), and maybe even some new tools if you need them for the fix. I mean bringing it to subaru would be like hitting the curb twice... Once for the parts, and once for them to screw ya in the bum.

Once, I went to a dealership near me to get parts, and they had totally different prices from another dealership 15 minutes away. Also, one of them quoted me $70 more then the other to get something fixed that they broke....... Then the subaru dealership that wanted to charge me more told my friend who was with me that they would give him 10% off a tune up cause he owns a non-subaru car. I ended up fixin it myself, and never getting anything done at subaru again. If you don't have the money to put the mechanics and owners at subarus kids through college, it would be wise to do it yourself(imo).

peace
    Last edited by hippy78; 11-25-2003 at 04:53 PM.

There seems to be a lot of doom and gloom on this thread.

I'm telling you...I have an '02 WRX and my bent control arm looks exactly like your bent control arm. It's sitting in the garage...I'd take a pic if I had a camera....

I took the car after my incident straight to the dealership. They quoted me $950...no bent frame...no busted swaybar...no damaged strut...no busted axle. Just a bent control arm and a curbed wheel. They told me the control arm was made to give...and it did so nothing else would be damaged...and nothing else was. I said no-thank-you to the oem wheel replacement and walked away a bit under $500. I regret that I paid $500, cause it looks like work I could've done for <$200 myself (a new arm cost $170), but I don;t regret have experts look at it and do the alignment.

If you can, try to replace the parts yourself. When you take it in for the alignment, every garage I know, will be quick to point out anything else wrong with the car. Then you'll know if it's more serious. If you take it in first...after the towing cost and crap...I gaurantee you, you'll give in and "just have them deal with it".

I'm speaking from actual experience from a WRX with similar looking damage on the same wheel.

I'm not saying your damage is identical to mine for sure...cus how could I tell from those pics....but I'm saying, I totally regret not doing the work myself...

Good luck.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

parts (control arm, front sway, and endlink) - 300
    tow - 80
    alignment - 60
    new wheel - 100

that comes to about 500, which is my deductible. Once i start fixing things, insurance won't give me an compensation. I'm taking it to the dealership to get an estimate, then I'll have the dealer fix only the parts that i feel i can't do myself. I may have to tow it back to my house to fix the rest then. But this way, ill save mucho $ on labor, and i may even potentially walk out with money in my pocket. At least i should be able to cover the deductible with the money i saved.

what do you guys think?

edit: and if my strut turns out to be damaged, then i will be seriously considering purchasing tein flex's. i guess stg 2 will have to hold off for a while.

in my professional opinion, i say bring it to the dealership and have them deal with it.

Un professional opinion- replace the endlink, control arm and get an alignment. If it still pulls after alignment/uneven tire wear, then you most likley bent the subframe. Also, make sure you check the wheel bearing by "wiggling" the tire when its up in the air. If there is any play AT ALL, get it fixxed.
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

Originally posted by platano
    At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

If the insurance will just barely kick in after the deductible...I say don't use it.

You'll only get screwed with either a rate increase later or be skipped over for a rate reduction. My rate went down by $20/month even after 1 year of accident-free (As far as the insurance co. knows). I have Farmers. IN a year that saves me $240 and who knows how much lower the premium will drop later.

I view insurance as catastrophic damage insurance. A few over the deductible ain't worth the long-term cost.

AS for towing....use your subaru road-side assistance and/or AAA road-side assistance ($50/yr). Thru AAA, you get 5 free miles and a dramatically reduced rate there-after or you may opt for their Gold plan which allows 100 miles free towing (but you have to qualify).

Hg.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.