Please Help - Eibach ProKit w/Wagon

This is a discussion on Please Help - Eibach ProKit w/Wagon within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Okay, I just got off the phone with Eibach technical support. Here's the situation: I can get a fantastic deal ...

Please Help - Eibach ProKit w/Wagon

Okay, I just got off the phone with Eibach technical support. Here's the situation:

I can get a fantastic deal on an Eibach Pro Kit spring set for the WRX Wagon (part # 7711.140). The manual for the kit says it's made for the 2002-2004 models. I have a 2004. But Eibach is planning on releasing a kit specifically for the 2004 wagon later this year.

Eibach tech support says the manual was a misprint - it should have read 2002-2003. In order to make this kit work with my 04 wagon, I would need to replace my stock "top hats" with those from a 2003 WRX wagon.

So the questions are...

1.) Where would I get 2003 WRX wagon "top hats"?
    2.) What the hell are top hats? (Newbie here, remember...)
    3.) Do they cost a lot?
    4.) Am I better waiting for the new Eibach kits to come out, or does this sound like a viable worthwhile fix?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-MacGomez-
    '04 Java Black Impreza WRX Wagon
    Minor mods, nothing spectacular (yet!)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hey Mac,
    Top Hats are the "Strut Tops".. you need the ones for the rear since the OE springs taper to the top. So, your '04 rear strut tops are smaller than the 02-03. Since the Eibach kit does NOT taper, you need the OE strut tops for an 02-03.

The Strut Top is what keeps the spring nice and tight between that "bowl" on the strut and your car. Diagram and part numbers from subaruparts.com

20370A $49.78 Strut mount-rear,right
    20370B $49.78 Strut mount-rear,left

Someone, please correct me if he needs more parts than the ones I listed.
    --Damon

'04 Black 1.8t GTI
    (O8o)===W===(o8O)

I Support ClubWRX
    Consider getting STi Group N tops from Rallispec for around $150 for the pair.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Where are you getting a good deal? I have an '03 wagon
    aquamisted wagon
    12.4 @ 111

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I bet you could find used ones as many have upgraded to STi Group N or camber plates that come w/ many of the coliovers. Check out the private classifieds.

Big Sky

Originally posted by KCREXwagon
    Where are you getting a good deal? I have an '03 wagon
    Sorry, it's a one-off deal. A friend of mine at work just traded in his WRX for a Lancer EVO! [spit] Traitor!!! [/spit]

He had an Eibach kit that he never got around to installing, still boxed and everything. He's selling it to me for $140, brand new. But if I have to buy the strut tops, that's going to put it closer to the price of the new 04 wagon kit when it comes out in December. Still not sure what I'm going to do.

I went to the performance shop at Thousand Oaks Subaru and they said they'd do the install for me, but (surprise surprise!) it would voice the warranty on the suspension.

-MacGomez-
    '04 Java Black Impreza WRX Wagon
    Minor mods, nothing spectacular (yet!)