04 Wrx tires cupping

This is a discussion on 04 Wrx tires cupping within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey , so im sure alot of you guys have read my other posts about the way my car handles ...

04 Wrx tires cupping

Hey , so im sure alot of you guys have read my other posts about the way my car handles on the freeway. Well i just noticed today that the inside an outside row of tread on the stock tires are starting to cup. What would cause this. This is both right and left side front only. Its only on the inner and outer edge of tread. I Know cupping can be caused by worn out struts, unbalanced tires. But what else could cause this . Keep in mind my steering feels loose.The car will drift right and left on the freeway. And steering wheel is a little off center either right or left mostly right. What should i tell the dealer when i bring it in?

Aaron
    Last edited by 04subarooooWRX; 09-19-2003 at 06:51 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Alignment maybe.
    PM me if you're in the need for high speed affordable video hosting.

Yea i know alignment but i want to know if its camber , toe, castor that causes this type of wear.Or any other suuspension component. I wnat to tell the dealership what to check.

Aaron

I Support ClubWRX
    Just tell them it needs a 4 wheel alignment. They'll check all parameters.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I have done that twice. Now that i have cupping they will see some evedence something is not right.

I Just checked again and its the outside and inside edges of the front.

Aaron

I'm wondering about tire inflation. Wear on the outer edges of a tire can be an indicator of a tire that is under inflated.
    Bill

RIP REX

well tire pressure is front 36psi and rear 34psi this is warm . so should be right around 32psi and 29psi cold. but even if the tires were underinflated they shouldnt cup they would jst stard wearing on outer edges right?

Aaron

Originally posted by 04subarooooWRX
    well tire pressure is front 36psi and rear 34psi this is warm . so should be right around 32psi and 29psi cold. but even if the tires were underinflated they shouldnt cup they would jst stard wearing on outer edges right?

Aaron
    Here's a link that talks about what could be wrong if your tires are cupping. Be sure the scoll down to find it. The description and possible causes of cupping is on page seven.
    http://www.specprod.com/TECH_DIR/SPCFundamentals.pdf
    Last edited by Bilkid; 09-20-2003 at 04:38 AM.
    Bill

RIP REX

Here's a link that talks about what could be wrong if your tires are cupping. Be sure the scoll down to find it. The description and possible causes of cupping is on page seven.
    Thanks Bill. Lots of usefull information on there!!! It even has causes for vehicle wandering! I think i have what is called feather edging. This is usualy caused by improper toe or defective chasis parts.

Aaron
    Last edited by 04subarooooWRX; 09-20-2003 at 10:08 AM.

My suggestion would be to get your car checked out at the dealership, then get new tires. The stockers are horrible I only had them on my car for 4 days before getting my Michelin Pilot Sports. Man what a difference, they don't wander at all freeway, smooth, quiet, traction is top notch. Only down side is $$$, my .02
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

Tires may be under inflated.

BSD

Quote Originally Posted by codered2323 View Post
    Tires may be under inflated.

BSD
    11 years later, back from the dead!
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II