18x8 SSR wheels and lowering.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 18x8 SSR wheels and lowering. within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Does anyone know if it can be done or how low you can lower your car with 18x8 rims. I ...

18x8 SSR wheels and lowering.

Does anyone know if it can be done or how low you can lower your car with 18x8 rims. I believe the offset is 51. I would like to get 18x8s but I also do not like the large gap between tires/fenders.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Do you intend to actually drive this vehicle to work everyday and race it or just waste hp trying to turn the over sized things and show off? I'm just not getting the novelty sized rim and tire thing in the US.

RNN
    Are you refering to wasting horsepower just because the wheel diameter (not the overall tire diameter) is larger or because most larger wheels are heavier? The SSR wheels (the Competition model anyway) in 18 inch are slightly lighter than stock US OEM 16 inch wheels.

Dale

Both diameter and the weight. Almost all the guys who go with the big rims seem to be after looks and not any true performance gains. That being said the stock rims could use a lighter 17 in replacement if that is all he is after. I think the need for the 18 is probably just a visual appeal.

I like the way body and rims flow together with no large gaps distracting from the uniform look. True having large rims can alter performance but not everyone is shooting for a drag car here, a car can still be fast with big rims, people get new rims for looks mostly if they didn't then there wouldn't be such a large variety and only small light models would be on the market.
    My woman hates the money pit
    2002 WRX Hybrid 2.5L 16G

I Support ClubWRX
    While I agree that most people buy large rims for the looks and don't mind sarcrificing output, I also believe large rims are prove beneficial under certain conditions. Take for example 18"(7.5-8" width) rims...less sidewall flex and wider stance for corner carving ability is a possible gain in cornering. SSR type Cs aren't heavy wheels, I believe 17x7.5s are just under 13lbs per wheel. I personally think that in most instances 17's prove more useful as not every road is silky smooth and you still get quite a low profile for lower sidewall flex. By the way, my car will have 15's for a good part of the year....that is, they will be Compomotive TH2 rally wheels.

If your refering to the low sidewall flex of the sidewalls with 18's then that is true but your also talking about a street driven car with roads that are far from ideal use for a 18in rims and tire combo. It just increases the odds of bending one and having that crappy shake in the front from a wheel that's no longer balanced or sometimes too bent that it has to be replaced. If over all cornering was your concern you would be after a set of coilovers and camber plates as well as a host of other suspension upgrades and brake upgrades long before a 18in rims and tire.

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by iceNine
    RNN
    Are you refering to wasting horsepower just because the wheel diameter (not the overall tire diameter) is larger or because most larger wheels are heavier? The SSR wheels (the Competition model anyway) in 18 inch are slightly lighter than stock US OEM 16 inch wheels.

Dale
    just because SSR 18s may be lighter than OEM 16's doesn't neccesarily mean they reduce pwr or waste less hp. because the weight of the SSR is distributed across a larger radius, there is more rotational mass, ie heavier weight on the circumference of the wheel. so while the wheel may weigh less on the scale, the power it takes to rotate the wheel may be more than a 16in.

if you play golf you know what im talking about

Good observation Mr. Penquin about the rotational torque. But if one wishes to get larger diameter rims, the SSR Competitions is a good choice since its pretty light. Just imagine those other heavier, and larger diameter rims. Not only will they deal with the extra weight, but the extra rotational torque as well.
    2002 Rally Blue WRX - Few mods

but what's wrong with getting 18's? whatever the person wants whether it be looks, cornering, reducing parasitic loss, or auto X, those are the wheels he wants.

whether you understand the tastes of "americans" , whatever. just because you don't like it doesn't make a difference to jl001300.
    have one of you given the guy an answer yet? there have been 7 replies to the thread, and all by smart avid posters, yet no one helps? get off your horses and help the guy for god's sake. if you don't know the answer, don't resort to insulting the guy's taste or wants just to sound smart or taking the topic into a new direction.

no offense ladies, just making an observation.

jl001300,

becasue you're going with the 8 width on top of the 18" diameter, i think lowering is going to be a touchy mod. i would run a search. there are some members running 19x8's but with no lowering, and some running 18's with coilovers, but at 7.5 without the lowering you should be fine, perhaps with some minor adjustments. i'd also drop Dan a PM and pick his brain.

i'm moving this thread to the suspension forum. there are some other recent threads asking very similar questions, and some people that are in your shoes now. i'm sure you'll get the info you need there.

take it easy.

dR

Thanks DR

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    With a 51mm offset and 8" wide wheels, if you rub- it will be against the suspension. As one lowers a vehicle the camber generally becomes more negative. This will aggrevate a situation where you may be rubbing against the suspension. Four ways to possibly alleviate this potential problem:

1. you may have to use narrower tires than you want

2. increase positive camber at all four corners (moving the top of the tire away from the suspension).

3. wheel spacer- effectively lowers you offset (moves rim away from suspension).

4. decrease the amount of drop in your suspension

If no one has run this particular setup, then the only way to know for sure if it will work is to try it. But I'm guessing someone has tried this particular combination.

By the way Prodrive is actually advocating 18"'s to be used w/ their suspension (lower springs for know) that got better results than w/ 17". Interesting.

Big Sky

RNN,
    just wondering but do you have Speed Channel in Japan? If you do then you can watch the best drivers in the world race on tarmac in rallies across the globe in the WRC. AND they ALL race on 18" wheels. Just a thought.
    IKE
    P.S. why couldnt you just let the guy get what he wants and not be so negative? Different strokes for different folks. Practice a tiny bit of tolerance and maybe you will live longer.

Now, to answer the original question. I have seen several people do it. I think with the +51 offset it will work. I run an 18x8 SSR Comp. wheel and I think it is somewhere around 42mm offset and it fits fine. I use the TEIN coilovers and I have yet to have any rubbing issues. Also, to address the overall height comment. When you start looking into buying larger diameter wheels go to www.ring-pinion.com and they have a tire height calculator in there that is very fast and a no-brainer thing to figure overall tire height. Hope this answers your question somewhat.
    IKE
    Last edited by FoamDonuts; 05-17-2002 at 05:22 PM.

The issue of rotational mass always comes up when choosing larger rims. Can anyone define the equation that would allow optimizing weight vs mass when choosing larger wheels?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast