Cusco swaybars installed, w00t!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Cusco swaybars installed, w00t! within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Looks like the Cusco shipment finally came in to port, 'cause GSPL called me on Wednesday to let me know ...

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX

Cusco swaybars installed, w00t!

Looks like the Cusco shipment finally came in to port, 'cause GSPL called me on Wednesday to let me know that my swaybars are finally in. I had them installed Friday night, and wow what a difference they make! Combined with my Bridgestone RE730 225/50/16s, I can barely feel any understeer and almost no body roll at all. I went around to a few spots here in Seattle where they have islands in the road to make it one lane only...basically a slalom...and gave it a test. It feels like a brand new car now!

GSPL said they took pictures of the install and will have them up on their website. When I get the link, I'll be sure to post it here
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The Cusco boat must have finally landed, I've been waiting since Dec for a front sway bar (to go w/ a rear adj sway and a rear strut brace) and now I have a tracking # .

I take it you got the front and rear, what setting are you using in the rear?

Big Sky

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    Highest setting on the rear...definite noticable difference...
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)

I should be getting my cusco rear swaybar soon. I'm mainly getting it to dial out some body roll and understeer for autocross, so my question is: is having the rear bar alone at the lowest setting too loose for normal everyday driving? I've got 17in wheels and summer tires now and can already get a pretty good controlled off throttle oversteer on the road. I just don't want to get snap oversteer with this bar. Is getting a front bar mandatory?

Thanks
    02 Black(or blue) WRX
    San Looee, MO

I Support ClubWRX
    The oe front and rear sway bars for the rex are both 20mm. The Cusco adjustable rear is 22-24 mm. The Cusco front is 21mm. I purchased the front so that I could retain close to stock ratio 21/22 for daily driving, but if I need more oversteer for autox I've got it. Additionally I'll benefit from less roll in the front. Just my .02.

Big Sky

Angry For shame!

Armin

You shouldn't have paid anyone to install that sway bar. It's an easy mod, I can do one in about 30 minutes now depending on how thick the bar is. It really is one of the easiest, most noticable, cost effective mods you can do. And installing it yourself is a great way to learn your way around the car. Honestly, don't pay for the simpler mods, there are tons of us around here that will help you out for little in return. I'll work for beer for small jobs.

Mark
    http://homepage.mac.com/supermarkus/PhotoAlbum1.html

Mullet haiku:
    Daughter's BMX
    Takes me to welfare office
    Trans Am is on blocks

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    Beer! I'll remember that

But...I didn't have to pay for the install anyway...one of the perks of being good buds with the GSPL guys

I Support ClubWRX
    My Cusco boat arrived in port today. Let's see what's in it- a 21mm front sway bar w/ bushings. Oh and look a 22-24mm rear sway bar w/ bushings. And there appears to be one more thing in here, what's this... ah, a carbon fiber rear strut bar.

Thank god (and Dan).

Big Sky

Big Sky,

The install on the sway bars is a synch. Just be sure to remove the cross member support to simplify the install for the front. It looks like a PITA but it's not. Trust me it will go much easier this way. You will also need to remove one of the front tires to accommodate snaking the bar through. The rear is very straightforward.
    These bars and a good alignment will make a world of difference on the auto-X circuit. I have the rear set to the lowest setting which seemed to produce just enough oversteer when pushed. This past weekend was my first event with this setup and I took first place in STX by over 4 seconds.

Good luck,
    Shawn

I Support ClubWRX
    scurry,

Thanks for the tips. Congrats on your win! I'm really jealous everybody racing already, we got a foot of snow last week, but it is starting to melt.

By the way (you probably already saw it) it sounds like the SEB is going to rule soon on the cat issue and Z3coupe (insider info) is confident it's going to go the way we were hoping.

Big Sky

Thanks Big Sky. Luckily for us we don't get much snow here in Dallas so the season starts pretty early. Usually the season runs from late Feb to early Nov. We've already had three events this year. Two with ER (Equip Rapid) and one SCCA. Each event there is more entrants in the STX class, which is a good thing.
    I did hear some rumors that the Cat issue should be settled soon. I'm just waiting on the final work before I spend my hard earned cash on a up-pipe and down pipe. As soon as the word is final it's as good as done. Then it will be time for the Cobb tuned Uni-chip

Shawn

Originally posted by scurry
    Then it will be time for the Cobb tuned Uni-chip
    And then you will be getting spanked in SM
    WRB WRX STX Prepped

I Support ClubWRX
    No these will be unichips minus the boost controller- stock boost control, only changing air/fuel & timing.

Nobody wants to get spanked- at least not racing

Big Sky

Both Cobb and TXS unichips modify boost using the stock boost control (by referencing TPS). So even though there is no seperate MBC or EBC the boost level is being changed, which puts you into SM.

The only unichip that doesnt change boost is the Vishnu, which references MAP instead of TPS and doesnt modify boost.
    WRB WRX STX Prepped

According to Cobb they can do it without adjusting boost. Just like Big Sky said only fuel and timing are adjusted.

Shawn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast