Rear Sway Bar w/o Springs?

This is a discussion on Rear Sway Bar w/o Springs? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Has anyone put on a rear sway bar, but left the stock springs and shocks? I like the plushiness of ...

Rear Sway Bar w/o Springs?

Has anyone put on a rear sway bar, but left the stock springs and shocks? I like the plushiness of the stock suspension, but the body roll is a bit disconcerting sometimes.

I worry that the oversteer will be too radical for a street-only machine. As much as I'd like to, I don't see any autocrossing in my future, so a race setup isn't really my goal. Maybe later I'll install Eibachs because I like the dropped look, but I know that combo works well with a sway bar.

Does a stock suspension + RSB result in an unbalanced mess of a car, or just a WRX that doesn't lean so much anymore?

edit: I'd probably put in new endlinks while I was under the car, too.

Thanks,
    Josh
    ribonucleic acid freakout

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You can run a uprated rear sway bar w/ the oe strut/spring combo, but body roll is best controlled by springs. Sway bars are best to fine tune handling perferences- ie under/over-steer, neutral.

If your concerned w/ oversteer you can match your front and rear sway bar, for example Cusco makes a 21mm front bar, you can mate this up w/ their 21mm rear bar (it's made for the GC8, but will fit the GD/GG)- your handling will stay stock, but you'll get less body roll.

Big Sky

Re: Rear Sway Bar w/o Springs?

Originally posted by dielectric
    Has anyone put on a rear sway bar, but left the stock springs and shocks? I like the plushiness of the stock suspension, but the body roll is a bit disconcerting sometimes.

Does a stock suspension + RSB result in an unbalanced mess of a car, or just a WRX that doesn't lean so much anymore?

edit: I'd probably put in new endlinks while I was under the car, too.

Thanks,
    Josh
    Yes, to your first question.

No, it will not make an unbalanced mess of your car. On the contrary, it's one of the best cheap mods you can do to the WRX. And by all means, do the end links while you're at it.
    Old, but not slow.