Need new pads....LESS DUST!!

This is a discussion on Need new pads....LESS DUST!! within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I would really like some help from you guys on this topic...I am going to be replacing my front brake ...

Need new pads....LESS DUST!!

I would really like some help from you guys on this topic...I am going to be replacing my front brake pads soon because I am getting my new wheels and the stock pads give off WAYY too much dust!! I have been looking at a few and I have been told that Carbon Kevlar are pretty good and give off less dust...does anyone make this type for our cars? Also, I used to have Raybestos Ceramic pads on my Cavalier and it took ALOT of the brake dust away...so I was thinking about getting these...what do you guys think??
    It must suck getting beat by a wagon.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Does ANYONE have any input?? I also found these pads from www.get-primitive.com
    Delux Compound brake pads offer improved performance over the stock pads. They won't groove the rotors and have great stopping power and pedal feel. They are very low dusting, and do not require any warmup. This compound provides long pad and rotor life. These are perfect for high performance street use, occasional track days, autocross and rallycross

If you can find a set of performance pads that dust less then stock, let us all know.
    Good Luck!

I recently switched to EBC Red Stuff pads up front. These things have been great. This is the first pad I've tried which has been satisfactory on the track - the bite and fade resistance iimpressed me. Thought I'd probably have to trash them afterwards, but I was surprised to see several millimeters of pad left when I pulled the wheels for inspection. Excellent bite and good braking power even when cold. The downside is I suspect that they'll be a little hard on the stock rotors long-term.

Here's the kicker, they don't dust much either. Way less than the Hawks I had on before.
    Old, but not slow.

Originally posted by ScoobySteve
    I recently switched to EBC Red Stuff pads up front.
    Did they suggest the red's on the front only? I know with some of the heavier vehicles they recommend the red.

On my last vehicle I got away with the Green on the front only, but they said due to the small amount of braking the stock configuration does with the backs that they recommend just using the stocks for the rear.

Thumbs up Porterfiled Pads

Porterfield R4-S front and rear. Better than stock stopping power and low-dust. I prefer these over the Hawk HP Plus. They stop harder and have MUCH less dust. If you want a track pad, run the R4.

Peace,

Curtis

Thanks...I just want less dust...how much are these and where can I buy them at, thanks alot guys

Re: Porterfiled Pads

Originally posted by TurbeauxREX
    Porterfield R4-S front and rear. Better than stock stopping power and low-dust. I prefer these over the Hawk HP Plus. They stop harder and have MUCH less dust. If you want a track pad, run the R4.

Peace,

Curtis
    Do you know how these compare performance and dust wise to Axxis Ultimate?

Originally posted by Boozted
    Did they suggest the red's on the front only? I know with some of the heavier vehicles they recommend the red.

On my last vehicle I got away with the Green on the front only, but they said due to the small amount of braking the stock configuration does with the backs that they recommend just using the stocks for the rear.
    Boozted, I don't think they make Red Suff pads for the rear, but I could be wrong. It certainly wouldn't hurt to upgrade the rear pads, but it's not absolutely essential. FYI, at 40k miles, I'm on the 5th set of front pads, got the same semi-metallics in back which I put on at around 9k miles - and still several millimeters of pad left. So your rears are not working nearly as hard as the front.

As TurbeauxWRX says, you can't go wrong with the Porterfields either.
    Old, but not slow.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Performance pads dust more than oe pads, no way around that. Some performance pads dust less than others. I don't think you'll find a performance pad that dusts less than stock. Look at the Endless NAY's, better bite than oe, higher operating temps and probably dust similar to oe- Endless pads are expensive, but they work (well).

Big Sky

The Axxis ultimates have to be the dustiest pads I have ever seen, after 3 weeks my wheels were black on the inside and bronze on the outside. I just ordered a set of their Metal Masters though which should perform better then stock but reduce dusting. I will report back with more details when i get them in a few days. Oh and they were cheap, 50 bucks for the front with 2 day shipping.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

Porterfield Brakes Info

Concept_wrx: I got my porterfield pads directly from porterfield. Try www.porterfield-brakes.com. You may want to call them @ (800) 537-6842 to confirm the following info.

R4-S (Hi-Po Street & Auto-x Pads)

WRX front rear
    AP721 $129.00 AP770 $110.00

R4 (Full Race Compound)

WRX front rear
    AP721 $189.00 AP770 $79.00

NOTE: The part numbers are the same, however, when ordering you must state the COMPOUND; R4, R4-S or R4-E (endurance) that you want. I believe the part number is related to the art work (size/shape).

Play it safe and call before ordering on-line.

Porterfield also carries Hawk and Performance Friction pads.

PKer: I can't answer (comparison with Axxis Ultimates). I used to run Axxis Metal Masters on my RX7. They were dusty as hell, squeeled and ate rotors. They also didn't work at all until you built up some heat. Other than that, they were fine.

One last thing: Do not overlook your brake fluid. The first track event I did I was on stock fluid and boiled in about 2-3 laps, leaving me with virtually no brakes. I now run the Motul 600. No more problems.

Peace,

Curtis