has anyone tried the wilwood 4-pot system?

This is a discussion on has anyone tried the wilwood 4-pot system? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i am drawn to this system because of its price and ability to keep smaller diameter wheels, for gravel, rallycross ...

has anyone tried the wilwood 4-pot system?

i am drawn to this system because of its price and ability to keep smaller diameter wheels, for gravel, rallycross ect.

luke

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    luke,

I talked to a coulpe of guys who had this setup, as I too was interested in an upgrade that would fit under the 6.5" wheels, epecailly as this setup was so light. They didn't rate it so high. Problems w/ the setup not being rigid enough, too much deflection. Personally I've given up on the four pot idea. With uprated pads, fluid, lines and front rotors-I've got a very good braking system w/ good feel. I'm working on a duct system for track days.

It's worth investigating however, maybe they've worked out the bugs.

Big Sky

I would investigate how often the calipers need to be rebuilt as well. No idea on the wilwood myself but when I look into calipers I always check - for me they need to make it through at least one track season and one NE winter with salt and all its wonders. I don't much care for rebuilds more than once a year - preferably 2 years.

I have this kit and posted a review at

http://www.subarureview.com/showreview.php?id=942

By far the worst feature is the lack of pad spring clips to keep them from clacking.

God
    I've talked to a couple of people and both have removed them in favor of other brakes kits. If you're on a budget I'd say go STop Tech instead or the STi Brembos. Both are worlds better quality and better feel.
    Daniel Ponze, Lead Tuner Tuning Factory, Inc.
    PH: (248) 477-0700___FX: (248) 477-0701

Has anyone heard or had personal experience with the Subaru 4 pot upgrade? Are these what is commonly referred to as the STI brake upgrade?

I have been running the Perrin-Wilwood 4-pot front brake kit for over a month now and have not had any problems. Braking and pedal feel is noticeably better than stock, and should further improve once my ES 100s are mounted.

Big Sky

Big Sky,

Can you please elaborate more on the Wilwood 4-Pots not being ranked high?

What is deflection exactly?
    How much lighter are Wilwoods compared to stock brake system?
    What does rebuilding calipers mean exactly?

You said you would rather go with the stock setup with good pads, SS lines and Motul. Does this setup offer better pedal feel and less deflection than the Wilwoods? What are Wilwoods advantages over this setup?

I just want to have street/auto-x brake setup that will bring the car to a quick stop (porsche terrirory 60-0 in ~110 feet). I want the setup to do it over and over again without fading to mush after the first stop. I don't want the setup to tear the rotors into pieces either.

Do you think the stock calipers with ss lines, pads and fluid will do the job?

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'll stress that I have not ever used/tested the Wilwood setup myself. I was looking very hard at this kit earlier because it allowed the use of the oe wheel (my winter wheels) and the reduction in unsprung weight. I talked to a couple of people that have (or had) this setup and they felt there was too much deflection (caliper movement). This could be caused by a couple of different things- arm construction, the caliper itself not being rigid enough, etc. Again this is what I've been told and read.

This particualr caliper was designed primarily for rear braking applications, that could be one reason that some are finding deflection a problem. They are light- I think you shave ~ 7 lbs a side (don't quote me on that).

I think w/ the right pad choice, good tires, uprated lines/fluid- you will have a pretty well balanced brake setup- very capable on the street/autox/rallyx.

If you want to hit the track- uprated rotors would help, as would a true track pad, in addition some ducting would help as well. If you track a lot, then a big brake upgradde is warranted- if not, I think the oe setup is very capable w/ a few tweaks.

Big Sky