sti suspension
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on sti suspension within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; anyone put in the sti suspension for the sedan? i'm interested in how it compares to other aftermarket choices......

Post sti suspension

anyone put in the sti suspension for the sedan? i'm interested in how it compares to other aftermarket choices...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

God

It's a very mild upgrade, non height adjustable, non damper adjustable. Personally I think it's completely not worth it.
    Daniel Ponze, Lead Tuner Tuning Factory, Inc.
    PH: (248) 477-0700___FX: (248) 477-0701

What if you are not an all out racer? What if you don't know what happens when you adjust the rebound and dampening? I am not sure I would get a fully adjustable suspension. I think I would mess up the great handling of a WRX.
    http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SoCalDrifters/?yguid=112436253
    I don't pick my nose, I port my intake

I Support ClubWRX
    I have the eibach pro kit and that should be in production soon. The ride is still great while it's a lot stiffer around turns.

THe factory shocks is already pretty nice, when you upgrade your suspension you should first drive around and observe what is it that you want to change about your suspension and then find the right setup for the right price. A lot of people are spending thousands of dollars on full out coilover suspensions that's great for track but harsh when it comes to daily driving, and on top of that not many people really play around with all the dampening and height adjustment because it's a pain in the ass.

I drove a wagon several weeks ago with the STi upgrade. I'm more of a straight line acceleration guy so the STi package seemed like overkill. It was fun to drive, but it was a bit harsh for daily driving and even my stock suspension got to me on a road trip this weekend.
    -jay
    i drive a jeep n stuff.

Spring rates ?

What do you think is a good spring rate for the street ?
    Russell
    Vishnu Stage 2
    12.9 @ 105 MPH (4EAT)

Question stock shocks?

hey Tim,
    the pro kit is just springs, right or wrong? are you running the stock shocks with them?

thanks.
    Jorge F.
    Auto Concept Elite

I Support ClubWRX
    The pro kit is just the Springs and I'm running stock shocks with them. The car is just as comfortable as it is before but you can really notice the stiffness when you take turns and I'm guessing it would really help on the slaloms. The Eibach pro kits are designed to work with the stock shocks so you don't have to worry about blowing out your shocks. I'm going to post a thread about the "Settling of springs" in a bit... just something that I thought I should share with everyone. If anything next time we meet up you can take my car out on a spin. I think the only other set up that's good right now is the H&R setup, and you can get that from tirerack right now for $233. (remember to click through the banner if you were to buy them because clubwrx.net will get credit for it ) .

I have the STi suspension put in my car after dealing with a unscrupulous dealer. It was a night and day difference after i got the car back. I did read in a magazine though that the STi suspension could be adjusted for commuting or for performance. Im not sure if this is correct but i would definitely like to know. I might ask SOA when i call them about the stealership i had to deal with when i bought the car.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    If you purchased your STi (SPT) susp pkge from a dealer it will not be adjustable. What you read in a magazine could have been the STi sport suspension pkge (pink) which comes w/ 4 way adj struts/springs- no heighth adjustment- this setup is expensive ~ $1900.

The setup you purchased is a good one however- even though non adj. Springs are 217 lbs ff/190 rr w/ sturdy 40mm inverted struts.

Did you get the full setup- springs/struts, sway bar, aluminum control arms, bushings?

What was the problem w/ your dealer?

Big Sky

Yeah, I got the dealer installed suspension kit. The complete package just as you listed Sky. They also mentioned something about anti-dive bushing which were part of the kit. Those make a big difference when i slam on the brakes.

The problem i had with my dealership was that they put a 4900 markup on the car. When I went back a couple days later to try and cancel the deal they wouldnt let me outta the lease. I called the Bank the lease was through and they said that i could "flat drop" the contract. But after arguing with the owners of the stealership they wouldnt let me outta the deal.
    They did however agree to 3000 worth of upgrades. I went for the exhaust, suspension and upgraded security. But when they went to put the alarm in they realized that it already had one.
    When i purchased the car it didnt have a "window sticker/price tag", the dealership said they would mail it too me. I still havent seen it yet and i dread the idea of even contacting them again. There were several other deceptions I discovered the day after, they really took advantage of how naive and trusting i am.

I love my WRX tremendously! And I think that this dealership shouldnt have the honor of selling such a wonderful car!

Oh and back to the suspension thing. The suspension is listed as approximately 1800 on SOA website and they are pink too!

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like a less than scupilous dealer, that's too bad.

The struts at the SOA site are the SPT setup- non-adjustable. They may look pink in the picture, but are actually red. The STi sport suspension is REAL pink, springs and struts. The $1800 quoted at the SOA site includes sway bar, aluminum arms, bushings and struts and springs. These are stock pieces used on the highly touted Ver. VII STi. Make sure you got all the pieces- front sway bar w/ the sedan kit, rear sway bar w/ the wagon. Also make sure you got the aluminum control arms too. If there that shady, make sure you got everything you paid for. You might even ask them for your old bushings to make sure they installed all of them- very labor intensive, also very easy for someone to say they intalled them and didn't.

The STI/SPT setup has got very good reviews, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. To make the package whole you'll probably discover you'll have to ditch your RE-92's for some good rubber.

Big Sky

Yeah im saving up to get a new set of tires, something like 225/50/16s or so.

Thanks for your replies, they are very very helpful. Unfortunately i didnt think to get the bushings back, but i did verify that the larger components were installed.

Rather expensive learning experience though!

(I will be in search of muddy/dirty roads this weekend)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.