Koni Insert Info - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Koni Insert Info within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I don't consider the Technical Reference obscure . That's a pretty good one you have in there, the one I ...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I don't consider the Technical Reference obscure . That's a pretty good one you have in there, the one I saw was for the WRX, but don't recall where.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zipity here, zipity there, i'm zipity everywhere...
    Chris, use a dremel mounted with a cutting blade if you have one. Per strut, the whole process (hole punching, cutting, draining, drilling, and inserting) takes maybe 15 minutes per strut. just make sure you get that bottom hole centered. i used to have 2 links to install instructions, but alas, they are no longer with me
    good luck

I Support ClubWRX
    Now ya tell me! My Dremel died a couple of months ago - this would've been a good excuse to buy a new one!

I installed them last night. 15 minutes is pretty quick! I'm a decent shade-tree mechanic but nobody has ever accused me of being quick. I'd estimate closer to 30 minutes per strut. I did the first one very carefully with a hacksaw, but then when I figured out the margin for error is large, i broke out the saws-all for the rest. A big pipe-cutter would've cut the time in half. I think the Koni design is rather brilliant in that it gives such a large margin for error - you'd have to be trying to screw it up. They say to use a 14mm bit but I used a slightly smaller 1/2 inch bit. Even then it gave some slop and if you really used a 14mm bit centering wouldn't be that critical at all.

I'll post an initial review tonight or tomorrow. I just took it for a quick drive around the neighborhood last night. I was totally shocked by the ride quality with the STi RA springs. It's great! Incredibly, I think it's actually plusher than stock.

Anyway, I'll save further impressions for tonight after I've driven it some more.

Chris
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Your mechanic'ng style sounds like mine- slow and steady. I guess if I was doing for a living I'd be quicker (although if I was charging by the hour maybe not ).

Sounds like you might have found a good combo- what damping settings are you starting w/?

I think you need to start looking at the Noltec caster/camber plates next, rumor has it someone is trying to get a group buy going.

Big Sky

I Support ClubWRX
    I do! Unfortunately cash is now a problem since I blew all my she-money on the rear struts!

I'm starting at 50% all around. I have a Wagon so adjustment is no problem. I'll probably end up running stiffer in the rear to reduce understeer. I like a car that is pretty loose.

I'll probably reserve my initial impressions for a few days. It felt a bit bouncy at slow speeds (crawling through parking lots) this A.M. but my stomach is a bit upset today and I think a caddy would feel kinda bouncy!

Chris
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1993 Honda CBR600F2

Did mine yesterday with my pop at his very well outfitted shop.

This really is straightforward. To make it easy as possible, GET A PIPE CUTTER. Hacksawing through the strut housing takes 20X more effort than simply circling it with a pipecutter. The front struts will allow the pipecutter to go all the way around, and all you have to do is dremel the burr/lip on the inside of the strut when you're finished. The bottom spring perch on the rear struts won't allow you to circle the pipe cutter all the way around, but it will let you get 85% around. Just back and forth it, then some brief hacksawing will see it through.

When you drill the initial 3mm hole in the bottom of the struts to let some of the fluid out, don't sit there and let it just drain out. That takes too long. Grab the strut rod and pump the crap out of it and the fluid flows out big time. Do it until all you get is spray out of the hole.

Don't freak out about finding metric drill bits, as long as you have a Dremel. Just get the original 3mm hole as close as possible. We used a 1/2" bit for the 14mm enlargement, which actually translates to 12.7mm. We dremeled the rest of the way, which takes all of 45 seconds per strut. Drilling lube/oil is you friend here, be SURE to have some on hand.

Through trial and error, by far the best method of inserting the Koni into the stock strut is to tap it halfway (using the piece of wood and hammer method), then use the bolt (without the washers) to cinch it in all the way. By simply tapping it in all the way with the hammer and wood, you run the risk of misalignment of strut hole and insert threads. This happened to us, and we had to back the first insert out 1/2 inch so as to align it correctly. Just get it close, thread in the bolt (be sure to have several turns of thread), and cinch it down that way.

We didn't have a vice that would clamp tight enough to torque the strut bolt to the required 55lb/ft., so that will have to happen at the suspension shop. I will also take another poster's advice and use (red) loctite on the bottom bolts.

-Mirror

does anyone know if these konis sports have height adjustable perches? I dont mean threaded bodies, but the 3-4 position adjustments by moving the perch mounting cir-clip up/down in 1/2" steps like the have on other koni sports?

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Invisiguard
    does anyone know if these konis sports have height adjustable perches? I dont mean threaded bodies, but the 3-4 position adjustments by moving the perch mounting cir-clip up/down in 1/2" steps like the have on other koni sports?
    No they don't. In fact they don't have perches at all! You re-use the perch from the stock strut.

C

1993 Honda CBR600F2

Where did you get them? How much were they? Thanks
    2002 WRX Wagon
    2004 350Z Roadster

koni adjustable inserts

hi people i have these koni yellow adjustable inserts on my 2002 wrx and they ride nice.

i paid 300 pair
    install was kinda easy cut strut pour out fluid insert koni and cap it off.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.