How can I stop "squatting" at the strip?

This is a discussion on How can I stop "squatting" at the strip? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Weight transfer during acceleration and braking can cause half of your wheels to unload. This is why my WRX spins ...

How can I stop "squatting" at the strip?

Weight transfer during acceleration and braking can cause half of your wheels to unload. This is why my WRX spins her front tires, but not her rear tires when I launch my car at the strip. This phenomenon is called "squatting" when the front tires unload and "diving" when the rear tires unload.

I know that I could just stiffen up my rear springs and prevent this, but then I would suffer more rear bump steer in the corners during normal driving or rallying.

I already posted a thread about rallying, so now, How can aftemarket suspension help me at strip?

-Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

God
    An idea that used to work for a friend with his Type R was inserting these special rubber spacers between the coils on the rear springs at the track. Easy to put in and remove, they increase spring rate in the rear by 50 lbs each I believe. He uses 3 or 4 on each side. If you need some I may be able to put you in contact with him although not sure they have anything for the HUGE truck like springs on the WRX.
    Daniel Ponze, Lead Tuner Tuning Factory, Inc.
    PH: (248) 477-0700___FX: (248) 477-0701

Another idea might be the Whiteline anti-lift kit. It canges your front end geometry slightly. It adds a bit more camber to the front wheels in addition to reducing the amount the front end lifts (weight transfer) under hard acceleration. I believe it was designed for cornering and accelerating out of turns, but might also work well on the drag strip.

From what I have read (on Scoobymods.com), the kit actually works. I think it costs around $120 from Mofugas.com but cannot swear to that.
    Matt (refuse2growup)
    2002 WRX Wagon, Alpine White
    - Kartboy shifter and bushings - Subaru column mounted boost guage - Turbo XS MBC - AEM Cold Air Intake - Flowmaster Axle Back - Whiteline Rear Strut Tower Brace - Whiteline Front Strut Tower Brace - Subaru Sedan Rear Sway Bar - Whiteline solid sway bar end links front & rear - Whiteline ALK - Replica WRC headlights

I checked out the Whiteline anti-lift kit on vividracing $129. Looks pretty cool. Since I gotta keep my mods low buck for a bit, that looks like a good choice. The other handling benefits look nice as well.

Any effect of ground clearance with that mod?

I'll do some more research and see what I can turn up.

-Jim

I would like to know more about that kit as well. I hate to see some nice fat german cars, walking away from me in "class". It looks like they are not trying at all to push it hard. I hate when my car looks like a boat, nose up, a$$ down. Seriously.
    WRX by Nature
    www.fresnowrx.com

Try pdm-racing.com to get the A.L.K. I just purchased one for my Legacy for $105, WRX ones cost $125.

black99gt,

Persuant to you PM:
    For more info on the Whiteline Anti-lift kit.
    This looks like a very worthwhile overall mod for the WRX.
    The picture sux but the description is great.
    I can't even evaluate how it works by the photo.

-Jim

Any new additions in the last 12 years that could help this problem?

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Call TiC, report back with what they say. Easiest option for everyone

Contact Us

I will do just that, thank you.

I Support ClubWRX
    you pretty much have to look at upgraded suspension components. Adjustable coilovers would be great because then you can stiffen it up for drag racing, and then soften it up for daily driving.

I like that guy's idea of rubber sleeves to insert, but I don't know how safe or reasonable it would be to make.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    I like that guy's idea of rubber sleeves to insert, but I don't know how safe or reasonable it would be to make.
    The rubber insert is very common for circle track racers... sounds from what you want would be a good option as well. Here you go:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Shop/C...nserts/12.html