Anybody have this problem with your WRX?

This is a discussion on Anybody have this problem with your WRX? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; OK lets get to it. When comming to a stop at high speeds the break noise has a fast rhythm, ...

Question Anybody have this problem with your WRX?

OK lets get to it. When comming to a stop at high speeds the break noise has a fast rhythm, then when slowing to a complete stop the rhythm becomes slower and louder. The noise appears to be comming from the rear right side. The noise sounds like a rusty spring when coming to a slow stop at high speeds high pitched squeal. This problem has happened since I bought the car in NOV 2001. It's off and on. Service refuses to do anything until the Rep heres the noise. Attempted fixes: shaved the rotors, new brake pads, stop squeak. All have failed. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have the exact same problem! When braking at high speeds, there is no noise, but when I start coming down to the 10 mph mark I hear this really bad squeaking/scraping noise. It is coming from the rear right axle as well. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Should I take it to the dealership?
    02 Aspen White WRX Sportwagon

I did have a noise like this. It was a very horrible scraping noise. I took it to service and they found that I had a pile of gravel ontop of my rear cat. This was causing the drive shaft to scrape on that gravel. I don't know if this is the same as what you are having but it is just a suggestion.

I just had the problem checked out at the dealer. They said my right front wheel bearing needs to be replaced.

Oh well, at least it's under warranty.

It could be a wheel bearing, but it is more likely a warped brake rotor. Unfortunately, our USM WRX is seriously underbraked, making it easy to warp a rotor during "spirited driving."

[I am moving this thread to the suspension forum.]

-Jim

I have the same noise, i noticed it since the first day. I doubt mine are warp because i bought the car with 0 miles. It really bugs me , should I take her into get inspected, it only has 5k miles. Would my warentee be invalid since i put lowering springs on my wrx? Even though it made the noise b4 the springs....?
    Your Pal,
    Brian Trinidad

Pearl Black 03 Wrx, 5spd, turbo gauge, Spoiler, Progress lowering springs Cusco front and rear sway bars, Gutted uppipe, helix v2 dp, greddy evo catback!

Originally posted by teck7droid
    I have the same noise, i noticed it since the first day. I doubt mine are warp because i bought the car with 0 miles. It really bugs me , should I take her into get inspected, it only has 5k miles. Would my warentee be invalid since i put lowering springs on my wrx? Even though it made the noise b4 the springs....?
    Many people have returned to the dealer for this issue. Most met with dissatisfaction.

A: The OEM front brakes pads SUCK.
    B: The OEM front rotors are too small and warp too easily.
    C: Resurfacng the front rotors will accomplish nothing.

Get yourself a set of Hawk Blues (pads), resurface the front rotors and have a WRX that stops SOOOOOOO much better that it did from the showroom floor.

-Jim

Well I just got my car back after the dealer replaced the wheel bearings. The scraping noise is gone, but now I have another noise when I break. It's a kind of tick-tick-tick noise. What should I do?

Sounds like you have a broken CV joint

I just started noticing the same problem (not clicking but scraping noise). Also seems to come from the right rear...gonna let it go for now, hope to upgrade the brakes soon, but if its a wheel bearing I am gonna be really ticked.