Drift setup for WRX??? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Drift setup for WRX??? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Id swap the tire pess. around more front then rear, induce the rears to slip over on the sidewall. Just ...

Id swap the tire pess. around more front then rear, induce the rears to slip over on the sidewall. Just like the front 92s on my car, they slide like a monster.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I know what you're talking about trypsin, but in my experience, under-inflated tires tend to behave like slinkys when they are sliding. Drift, grip, drift, grip: making a stable attitude really hard to maintain.

every stock wrx I've driven understeers like a pig without power application. Low speeds are particularly bad.

j.p.

wrx drifting

I've managed to drift my wrx a few times, most if not all not on purpose but I've gathered this:

A: you definitely do not need traction in the fron compared to the back. in fact, you don't want traction anywhere.
    Every time I've drifted all wheels are spinning and I'm actually not countersteering that much.

B: Everytime it has happened (and I say happened because it never happens when I want it) is when I'm going ove 40 miles an hr. or, I've given it a lot of power turned the car sharply and I'm on some sort of soft surface (dirt, gravel, etc)

I've also hace this to say:
    When I first got the car stock, it would understeer like hell.
    I have since changed a few things and noticed the following:

A:tein superstreet coilovers (4 corners) dropped just 1 inch.
    settings 15 in front, 12 on back
    and cobb swaybars medium setting.
    brand new yokohamas

Result: car definitely felt more prone to oversteer at the limits compared to before making me feel not too confident when driving hard. still very neutral in handling tho

B: coilovers in all corners
    swaybars set to soft setting.

result:
    car now felt more prone to understeer at the limits. when driven hard around a bend, it would just push out a very slight bit. But definitely more neutral.

C: coilovers in back, stock struts in front with tein shortening springs on front.
    swaybars set to soft.

result:
    the car feels super neutral. it rocks sideways more tho.
    it will oversteer when pushed to the very limit but for some reason I like this setup the best. (I had to take off the front coilovers because one busted, and had to send it to ger repaired. got it back, but now I don't know if I want to put them back on)

I'm trying to learn to drift too, but I think one has to learn to race first. Kinda like trying to learn to pole jump without knowing how to run first.

What I'm doing is, every night I drive down a canyon road I know has no traffic and drive as fast as it is safely possible. I tend to keep it civil in the straights and then just rip it in the bends. I try using toe heel downshifting and smooth transition from braking to throttle.
    and when it rains I go to empty parking lots, take it to 40 miles an hr, turn in either direction and pull the handbrake and try to keep the car from turning beyond 90 degrees.
    this is good practice for the steering and timing of the brake pull.

I'm by no means an expert but I think I'm going in the right direction.

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    nice bump
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbochico View Post
    I've managed to drift my wrx a few times, most if not all not on purpose but I've gathered this:
    What I'm doing is, every night I drive down a canyon road I know has no traffic and drive as fast as it is safely possible. I tend to keep it civil in the straights and then just rip it in the bends. I try using toe heel downshifting and smooth transition from braking to throttle.
    and when it rains I go to empty parking lots, take it to 40 miles an hr, turn in either direction and pull the handbrake and try to keep the car from turning beyond 90 degrees.

canyon Dr1fto for teh WiN!
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Wow, all of the things that I hate in idiot drivers all wrapped into one person.

Here's to hoping you screw up and learn your lesson.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbochico View Post

A: you definitely do not need traction in the fron compared to the back. in fact, you don't want traction anywhere.
    Every time I've drifted all wheels are spinning and I'm actually not countersteering that much.

B: Everytime it has happened (and I say happened because it never happens when I want it) is when I'm going ove 40 miles an hr. or, I've given it a lot of power turned the car sharply and I'm on some sort of soft surface (dirt, gravel, etc)

I've also hace this to say:
    When I first got the car stock, it would understeer like hell.
    I have since changed a few things and noticed the following:

A:tein superstreet coilovers (4 corners) dropped just 1 inch.
    settings 15 in front, 12 on back
    and cobb swaybars medium setting.
    brand new yokohamas

Result: car definitely felt more prone to oversteer at the limits compared to before making me feel not too confident when driving hard. still very neutral in handling tho

B: coilovers in all corners
    swaybars set to soft setting.

result:
    car now felt more prone to understeer at the limits. when driven hard around a bend, it would just push out a very slight bit. But definitely more neutral.

C: coilovers in back, stock struts in front with tein shortening springs on front.
    swaybars set to soft.

result:
    the car feels super neutral. it rocks sideways more tho.
    it will oversteer when pushed to the very limit but for some reason I like this setup the best. (I had to take off the front coilovers because one busted, and had to send it to ger repaired. got it back, but now I don't know if I want to put them back on)

I'm trying to learn to drift too, but I think one has to learn to race first. Kinda like trying to learn to pole jump without knowing how to run first.

omg, please tell me this is just a joke...
    --Justin

Hawk-Eye Alliance #128

It seems like sticky tires in the front and slick in the rear would put the drive train through some hell. What are the concerns from that? Breaking parts between the two because there trying to do two different things???

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Nice bump sir...this is twice, but basically all of this sounds like a bad idea to me for the longevity of your drivetrain. Pulling the handbrake, sticky tires in front bald in back. I feel sorry for the viscous coupling, tranny gears, and all the diffs in those poor cars above.

"Bump"?

Bump means bringing an old thread back to the top of the list ( they are listed by the order the they last had activity)

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    What he said^
    Everytime someone posts in a thread it is sent to the top of the list. Old threads can get lost way down the page like this one did. The last post was almost 3 years ago. Then you posted and it brought it to the top of the list. That's what is meant by a bump.

Is there anyone currently on this thread who has done the rear wheel drive conversion or part exchange on the WRX? It's a DD for now but one day it will be a track car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12