Please provide Wagon Specific Wheel Info
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Please provide Wagon Specific Wheel Info within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I thought we should get some wagon specific info together - particularly what wheel and tyre combinations people are successfully ...

Please provide Wagon Specific Info

I thought we should get some wagon specific info together - particularly what wheel and tyre combinations people are successfully (ie no rubbing) using on wagons.

Wheel offset becomes more inportant for us wagon crowd with the narrower wheel arches.

So what wheels and tyres are you guys running, particularly what wheel offsets?

Cheers,

Andrew

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    And also please note if there are any suspension modifications, and if you have driven aggressively, such as autocross without rubbing.

I want to get some summer tires for a second set of stock wheels from Tire Rack. I wanted the Yokohama AVS ES100 but they don't come in 215 width. I would go to 225, but I don't think they will fit the stock wheels and might rub? So I'll probably end up going with the stock 205 width. Any experience with these on stock wheels?

Thanks, and good idea, Andrew

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...

Do drunkem posts count?

OK.....

smorris: 225's on the stock rims are a bit too wide. Go with 205's.

I'm running 17" Tarmacs with 215/45R17 Kumho 712s. No rubbing as of yet. I haven't Axed them, but I've taken equivalent turns on mtn roads. They don't rub, even with the 1.5" drop on my H&Rs. I'll post more when I can stay seated in my chair.

PS: It only took two edits to get this post looking as beautiful as it does....Is it friday?
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

With Rota attacks and the same Kumhos, my rear tires rub under spirited driving or when the back seat is loaded. I believe it's because of the Whiteline springs which lower about 2". Had I researched the issue properly, I would have bought a wheel with a different different offset. Once i get my engine issues sorted out, I think I'll address those springs. Maybe just a 1" drop would be better.

X

This is like the perfect thread and perfect timing. I just got 17" BAttles and have been confused thus far on the best tire selection.

Whatever I decide, I'll be sure to post my review as well.

Thanks.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

Somebody here has to have different springs and the same wheel / tire combination. I'd love to hear how the Eibachs perform on the wagon.

X

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by MisterX
    With Rota attacks and the same Kumhos, my rear tires rub under spirited driving or when the back seat is loaded. I believe it's because of the Whiteline springs which lower about 2". Had I researched the issue properly, I would have bought a wheel with a different different offset. Once i get my engine issues sorted out, I think I'll address those springs. Maybe just a 1" drop would be better.

X
    He said specifics! j/k

So you've got 7 or 7.5" rim? 215 Kumhos? 48mm offset, right? What offset would you have gotten?

C
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

I have the Eibachs and the Limix Linea's (18x7.5 +52 offset) wrapped in 225/40 rubber - Nitto 555 (no -choice - came with the wheels). One track day, many spirited canyon type runs, some with rear passengers, no rubbing issues.
    Last edited by palaban; 01-18-2003 at 01:44 PM.

OK, I run Kumho 712s but I had the size wrong. Mine are 215 45 17.

With a 2" drop, they rub very slightly as I said above. Offset on the Rotas is (please correct me if I'm wrong - I'm old and forget these details) 48mm.

After having done a bit of research, offset for a lowered wagon is best at + 50 mm. I wish I had checked before.

Russ

I run 225/50R16 sumitomo htr+ tires on my stock 16" wheels. no rubbing, even when my wagon is heavily loaded.
    2002 impreza wrx sportwagon 5-spd, aspen white
    very tenderly modified.

I run the Eibach pro kit, and will be using +48 Attacks with Kumho 712's in the spring.

Anyone considering the Eibach pro kit should remember that these springs are for the sedan, not the wagon. I (and several other people) have noticed the back of the wagon drops more than advertised, since the rear springs are progressive - the extra 50+ lbs in the back compress the progressive part of the spring. I don't mind it, myself, as it doesn't throw off the aesthetics of the car, but I'm curious how well the Attacks with Kumho's will work.

Basil

I've got 17", +45 rims with 712s in 215/17/45, with STi suspension, and no rubbing.

I never rubbed with stock wheels. But if you lower a wagon, +50 offset is recommended because of the lack of fender flares.

X

Sorry,

Been outa the loop for a while.

I'm not one who can contribute to this discussion intelligently as all I've done since I've had the car is to put BFG KDW's sized 225/50/16 on my stock rims and though I can gush on and on about my setup, I have nothing to compare them to except the dreaded RE92s.

Incidentally, I have installed an adjustable rear-sway bar and anti-lift kit so those probably have added much greater handling capability and varied ride quality, but my gut reaction is that the single best handling mod I've put on is the tires.

Also, I'm fixing to install the Tein Flex coilovers pretty soon. Should be exciting.

Pat

I have a set of older('99?) 5 spoke Subaru wheels from a 2.5 RS. The are 1/2 inch wider than the current stock rims. I am going to put 215/50/16 Kumhos on this spring. From what I have been able to figure out, as long as you stay with the 16 inch stock size you can easily put 225's on. As long as you are on the stock springs.

Eibach says they have springs under development for the wagon. Prodrive sells springs for the wagon. Doesn't Ebach make Prodrive's springs...what's up with that?! Basil....How is the performance with the Eibachs?
    Could be the OLDEST "junior" member on this forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.