Subaru WRX Forum banner

Please provide Wagon Specific Wheel Info

15K views 87 replies 36 participants last post by  c00lbeans 
#1 ·
Please provide Wagon Specific Info

I thought we should get some wagon specific info together - particularly what wheel and tyre combinations people are successfully (ie no rubbing) using on wagons.

Wheel offset becomes more inportant for us wagon crowd with the narrower wheel arches.

So what wheels and tyres are you guys running, particularly what wheel offsets?

Cheers,

Andrew

#52 ·
aussieinstlouis said:
I took the photos to try to show as much of difference as possible. Unless you are lying right next to the car it really hard to see the difference. THe rim protector on the tire is what seems to overlap the wheel - but it is supposed to do that!!!

The side walls are STIFF. They are a really solid ride and great cornering - no decernable flex in hard cornering despite the higher profile than a 17 or 18" wheel.
Thanks Andrew, I was hoping it was the photography giving it a fuller appearance than I would have in real life. Guess I should pull the trigger and go order some new tires!

#57 ·
Just noticed the sticker on the back of your wagon. Hilarious!

I need one:D

Jimbo

#61 ·
Steve - thanks for the link.

Jimbo

#62 ·
Will ES100 in 225/45WR17 fit?

I just purchased a set of Rota Tarmacs (17x7.5, 48 offset) for my WRX wagon ($430 w/lugs shipped from suby_dude:)). I am leaning toward the Yokohama ES100s for these wheels. Will the 225/45WR17s fit without rubbing? I’ve read that other tires this size will fit but the ES100s tread is wider than most. Is anyone running either 215/45 or 225/45 ES100 on this size wheel without rubbing? Is there another tire I should consider - must work well in the wet as I live in Seattle.

Thank you for any input.

#63 ·
I am only speculating - I run 225/50R16 ES100s on the stock wheels with no probs but when you go to 48mm offset you are closing the gap between the side wall and inside of the fender.

I reckon you may rub slightly.

Another wagon guy here in St Louis is running 48mm offset OZ Superleggas in the 18 and he had to remove the fender liner on the rear (but his car does look great!)

Pace runs 215s on a 17" wheel and has no rubbing. If you were to go to the 215 on the 48mm offset you would be in the same boat as me with stock offset and 225s.

#64 ·
I've also got a (White) 02 Wagon, and I'm running the Eibach Pro-Kit springs, stock struts, Rota Attack's, 225/50/17 Falken Azenis and a Perrin rear sway bar, and I do get quite a bit of rub in the back, especially with passengers.

I ended up having to roll the rear fenders and still occasionally get slight rub. The rear alignment is set at 0 toe and 1.7 negative camber, and yes I do AutoX it. (1st and 2nd in STX so far) :D

There another wagon running the AutoX's and he's got MSW (?) wheels with a 55 offset and has no problem with rubbing. He's also got the $2400 Cobb Tuning stage 2 suspension package...

#66 ·
just call me a guinea pig

I just picked up a set of STi rims/rubber for my 02 wagon (stock height). I pray they fit w/o any tweaking, if not, I will make them fit w/a camber alignment.

I'll let you know how they go on!

-tp
ps: they are take offs (175miles) which I got from a wrxnet/nabisco head! (read: nice nice delivered deal!)

#69 ·
Hmm. I just got some Rota Subzero 18 x 7.5 with +48 offset
I put on Yokohama Parada Spec 2
SIze 225 40ZR 18
No rubbing yet, and it looks like there's plenty of clearance.
Havent lowered my wagon yet though.
Just FYI

#70 ·
I have a question in reguards to the Prodrive wheels in 18's.
For reading seems most say to opt for offset of 43mm to 47mm of a 8" wide wheel.

Looking on Prodrive's website at the following:

PFF7's 18x8 51mm
GC-07's 18x8 43mm
GC-06's 18x8 43mm
GC-010's 18x8 43mm

I am curious to know why the GC's come in the 43mm offset vs a 51mm. Is the diffence due to the wheel/spoke design?

I dont intend to do a big brake upgrade, at most I will opt for the STi 4/2 piston setup. But the brake kit upgrade is a BIG maybe.

Car in question is a WRX Wagon w/ SPT struts and STi lowerings springs (pink's).
Tire size looking to run is 225/40/18 *Toyo T1's)

Anybody shed some like to this?

#71 ·
Prodrive springs and 225/50/16's

Hey, is anybody else with a wagon running 225/50/16's on the stock wheels with prodrive springs? Any rubbing issues? The prodrives only lower the car about 1" front and rear. I'm currently planning on going with some 205/55/16's unless I'm pretty sure that there won't be any problems with the wider tires and springs.
Thanks!

#72 ·
Re: Prodrive springs and 225/50/16's

wrxdude said:
Hey, is anybody else with a wagon running 225/50/16's on the stock wheels with prodrive springs? Any rubbing issues? The prodrives only lower the car about 1" front and rear. I'm currently planning on going with some 205/55/16's unless I'm pretty sure that there won't be any problems with the wider tires and springs.
Thanks!
I have eibach prokits lowers 1.3-1.5. and no rubbing issues.

#73 ·
Bringing up an OLD post

I have read a bunch here, first of all. So please no flames. I am prob. gonna buy this winter set up so I can drive in the snow even faster onmy way to go boarding!

4 (four) used less then one winter Dunlup SP Winter Sport 3D snow tires 225/45VR17 mounted on ASA JH3 silver 5x100 17x7.5" STi offset rims (rims are 4 winters old). Will fit WRX, Legacy, Forester, Baja, and pre-2005 STi.: $600 for the package.

And I want to be sure that all will fit well on my 2004 wrx WAGON before I go buy 'em. So will they fit with the sti offset on the wagon, which is bone stock other than my cobb V2 accessport.

TIA,

jon

#74 ·
is there any way to tell what offset rims are?
two of the tires on the set of wheels i got with my wagon are worn on the inside. i dont know if they were on the front or back. tires are 225/45/17's kumho escta(not sure on which though as of right now im about 170 miles from my car and house so i cant check). i think the wheels maybe advan rcII's but again im not sure. they look just like them, but gun metal. as far as suspension... from what i have noticed and was told by the fella i bought it off of is that its all STi goods.

#80 ·
48 et is a reasonable offset for 17x7.5" rims- so your in good shape there :)

225 is a "bubble" size for the wagon- sometimes they don't, sometime they do rub (many factors go into the rubbing issue- the width of the tires- not all 225's are created equal, rim width, offset, lowering of the car if any, spring rates, how is the car loaded, camber, etc)- if they rub it's almost always in the rear and almost always on the outboard side.

215/45 is almost always rub free for wagon.

I say go 225 (wider is better right? :)) and give them a go, if you happen to get rubbing it's easily fixed- simply roll the rear fenders- easy to do and relatively inexpensive- http://www.rollyourfender.com/

If you decide on other wheels, a higher offset does help in regards to rubbing (outboard) as it bring the wheel in slightly- offsets over 48 are tough to come by (sans oe Subaru wheels) and even then no guarantee a 225 won't rub on a wagon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.