Understeer cause?

This is a discussion on Understeer cause? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I want to find out if anybody knows what makes WRX's understeer so such compared to Evo's. I thought the ...

Understeer cause?

I want to find out if anybody knows what makes WRX's understeer so such compared to Evo's. I thought the WRX had the advantage with the low mounted boxer engine. Is it that the stock suspension of the WRX and STi is softer compared to the Evo's? Thanks for any input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I would assume so because w/ front sways and springs the understeer is almost irrelevant.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I dunno, they just do. Get a stiffer rear sway bar if it bothers you. Or l2 trail brake. Or take it off road in the dirt. My stock 02 wrx understeers slightly on canyon roads but put it in the dirt and you'll see a very neutral almost rear biased suspension. That 'rally bred' image subaru sells us isn't such an image...

I Support ClubWRX
    The primary reason for the WRX understeer is the horrible ballasting and weight distribution. The motor sits almost entirely in front of the front wheels causing a horrible pendulum effect.

Certain mods will put a band aid on the problem, but never solve it. Once these band aids are installed, the car's balance is upset and it will become twitchy.

No matter what, the Evo will always handle better due to better ballasting and weight distribution.

In the racecar setup world, the WRX is a horrible failure.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    Thank you for my new sig

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    Don't sugar coat things, how do you really feel?

Anywho, Trainrex is correct. There are however many things that can be done to improve the car.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    Don't sugar coat things, how do you really feel?

Is the WRX that much worse than an STi?

I know my STi has some understeer, but managable once you learn how to drive.

I have seen a episode of best motoring of a 03 sti spec c spank the GSR and the RS EVO models on a road course, and im wondering what the difference is in suspension mods, from the regular sti to the spec c?
    Last edited by FLAT4AWD; 08-10-2007 at 06:27 PM.

as has been stated, there are fundamental reasons why understeer is an issue, weight distribution, strut front suspension geometry, steering tires also have to distribute power, ect ect.

ultimately the bottom line is understeer happens because the front tires lose grip first. Some things can be done to lessen the effect. The more you can increase the usefulness of the front tire contact patch - the less understeer you will have (or the longer before it shows up).
    I claim no responsibility for unintentional offense.