I need new rotors and pads... suggestions?

This is a discussion on I need new rotors and pads... suggestions? within the Suspension & Wheels forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i have an '03 WRX wagon, and my brakes are just about shot. I am trying to decide whether i ...

I need new rotors and pads... suggestions?

i have an '03 WRX wagon, and my brakes are just about shot. I am trying to decide whether i should just have the shop lathe? the rotors and get new pads, or if i should buy new, better rotors and pads. The shop charges about $165 per axel, and im wondering if there are any aftermarket rotors and/or pads that i could get for not a whole lot more money, or if i should just stick with stock (i'm on somewhat of a budget).
    All i do is drive on the roads, i never race for long periods of time.
    And of course, if there is anything that i'm missing, plz let me know, as i'm a bit of a car noob.
    thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

165 per axle sounds a lil high. correct me if im wrong. i would just do new rotors and hawk pads or similar. not to abbrasive but grabs enough. any one else?
    07 white STi in CT

Brake pads

Hey man, i have an 04 WRX with 45K miles on the original pads. Had a bad vibration when braking hard. Thought it was the front rotors but turned out to be the back. Had the rotors turned and put new Hawk HPS pads all the way around. No more vibration and very low dust so far. Cost of the pads ordered for Tire Rack, $155 for front and rear plus $10 shipping. Hope this helps man. Cya.

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I have an 03 wagon, just did my brakes with Frozen Cryo rotors and Hawk HPS pads from tire rack. Stops better than new.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

Quote Originally Posted by ryanwrxduksa
    165 per axle sounds a lil high. correct me if im wrong. i would just do new rotors and hawk pads or similar. not to abbrasive but grabs enough. any one else?
    so... it sounds like the consensus is to get some hawk pads, and have the shop turn the rotors, right?
    i say turn the rotors because it would be cheaper i'm assuming. and like i said, money IS important object here.

I Support ClubWRX
    I put a set of Hawk HPS front and rear without cutting the rotors (at 18K). It has worked well for me. If the rotors are not worn too bad (grooved / scored) you may be able to get away with it. For a 2003 (how many miles?) it might be best to cut the rotors first. Either way, it is best to follow the burnishing procedure Hawk recommends for new pads.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX
    I put a set of Hawk HPS front and rear without cutting the rotors (at 18K). It has worked well for me. If the rotors are not worn too bad (grooved / scored) you may be able to get away with it. For a 2003 (how many miles?) it might be best to cut the rotors first. Either way, it is best to follow the burnishing procedure Hawk recommends for new pads.
    It has about 70K miles on it. but a friend told me to just feel the rotor with my finger and see if it feels smooth, and if so, then dont turn the rotors. When i am braking there isnt any shuddering or anything, so i might be able to get away with not doing the rotors.

---OH, also, what are you guys talking about when your talking about "brake dust"???

i just went out and felt the rotors with my fingers, and they aren't perfectly smooth. they are slightly "wavy" from outside to inside, and there is one pretty small "sharp" spot... if this means i should or shouldnt get my rotors resurfaced... lemme know.
    thx

http://store.mauromotorsports.com/mast2brkit20.html This should be all you need. The rotor are DBA 650, not the 4000, lines, fluid and Hawk HPS pads.

Sorry I might be missing something here, but if those are still the original rotors I would suggest changing them. I would do a search and see if you can find the minimum thickness for the rotors to work properly to see if you can turn them. If they are deeply worn and have wavy wear like you are stating, as I would think a lot would need to be shaved off to make them smooth again so I would assume it's best to change them out. But like I mentioned, check either the owners manual or somewhere on the net and see what the minimum rotor thickness is for the front and then act accordinly. The rotors can be smooth, but if they don't have enough mass they won't be able to absorb as much heat and therefore not stop as effectivly.

So that was the rotors, now pads. I just put on some new Ferodo DS2500 pads, and they are fantastic... very liniar stopping, not grabby at all, and when they get a little heat in them they really stop, no noise thanks to some brake gel/goo or whatever it is I smeared on the back of the pads, and don't seem to dust all that much. However if you are looking for something more economical go for something like Axxis Ultimates, I have heard nothing but good reviews from them and they can be had for $90 for all 4 corners, where the Ferodo's will run you $225+ for the 4 corner set.

IMO Brakes might be the most important part of the car so it doesn't pay to skimp on quality so buy the best you can afford

thats just my $.02 from what i skimmed over. Hope it helped and good luck.